3.0L H6 on E85 = WINNING

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: 3.0L H6 on E85 = WINNING

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:17 pm

jakey wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:Turns out that the stock injectors can support E85 once tuned correctly(around 70% IDC on 98, 89% on E85) and pending final implementation within a few weeks, the 06 onwards 1Mb ECU's will have Dual Fuel available allowing owners to run on E85 or 98.

How about a pre-face 2005 MY06? I'm guessing no?

As per original post: Hoping to get the earlier 04/05 512Kb ECU's to get a simplified version of the E85 patch ;)

Some of the preface have a 1Mb ECU, there is a bit of a cross over on the late 05/06 :)

The tables in the 07+ are a lot bigger resolution E85 tables for fuel and timing are both 14 x 11, the 512Kb ECU's might have to be stuck with a 7x7 table for the fuel additive and let it interpolate more so I can get the right size timing table in.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:25 pm

SegR wrote:Exciting stuff. Wish I had a newer ecu and wish e85 was more common around brisbane!

Your ECU actually looks to have room after a quik look :) Congrats on having a rare ROM lol

KiDo_Tuning

Postby jakey » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:26 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
jakey wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:Some of the preface have a 1Mb ECU, there is a bit of a cross over on the late 05/06 :)

How to identify? Guessing i'll have to rip up the ol' carpet? I have a OBD2 bluetooth adaptor if it's possible to find out from that somehow...

Also, what happens if you can't find e85?
Last edited by jakey on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby SegR » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 pm

wheee... now for the supply issue. <waits patiently>

(no I'm not keeping a barrel in my garage)
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:34 pm

jakey wrote:
How to identify? Guessing i'll have to rip up the ol' carpet? I have a OBD2 bluetooth adaptor if it's possible to find out from that somehow...

Also, what happens if you can't find e85?

No way of telling other than using Learning View to identify the ECU

No E85 available, just press a few buttons on the steering wheel with the rear window demister, tap the brake pedal to complete the sequence and the 98 tune is loaded etc Similar process to run E85. It then self learns between the two tunes if blended tank etc

KiDo_Tuning

Postby danb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:15 am

Interesting - which tables are switchable in this manner - is it just fuelling? So your not just using the SI-drive to control/modify the fuelling?

I have a EDM (UK) 3.0 spec B - which is 05 but has a 1mb rom ( D2WD701C )

The CEL flash for knock is actually what interests me the most - as E85 isn't available in the UK (although it is in France and the option to use it when driving over there might be useful...)
danb

Car: EDM 3.0R Spec B 6MT

Postby Statts » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:09 am

Will be keeping a very keen eye on this, though with a 512Mb ECU, I'm not hoping for too much.

Very keen on the CEL on knock flash though. Can you just add it to an existing tune of yours and I can flash? Or best to do it when you're in Adelaide again soon?
MY06 3.0R-B
Cusco bars & links, AVO mounts, JSpeed LCA bushes
Prova intake, HKS resonator trumpet, HKS panel filter
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Car: 05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14975

Postby jakey » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:11 am

Statts wrote:Will be keeping a very keen eye on this, though with a 512Mb ECU, I'm not hoping for too much.

+1, was contemplating a tune soon, might hold on to see what goods come up with e85 first :twisted:
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby Sgottlieb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:51 pm

How does the car test ethanol content without an ethanol sensor? Wouldn't it be just guessing otherwise?
Sgottlieb

Car: SF5 Forester

Postby jay.ritchie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:12 pm

I've been reading mixed messages about the economy of e85, is it more or less efficient?
I read that its less efficient, which is the reason its priced 20% cheaper than unleaded- (to stay competitive).

Yay or nay?
jay.ritchie

Car: MY12 VW Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21040

Postby dawesy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Im wondering the same thing.
Normal fuel stioch is 14.7:1 for ideal burn.
E85 from memory is 9.4:1 so would need more to run right ?
dawesy

Car: my05 3.0R-B sedan

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:46 pm

danb wrote:Interesting - which tables are switchable in this manner - is it just fuelling? So your not just using the SI-drive to control/modify the fuelling?

I have a EDM (UK) 3.0 spec B - which is 05 but has a 1mb rom ( D2WD701C )

The CEL flash for knock is actually what interests me the most - as E85 isn't available in the UK (although it is in France and the option to use it when driving over there might be useful...)

SI Drive is just different throttle maps and how they influence the throttle ;) Fuel and timing tables are all the same.

Fueling, timing along with AVCS' angle change, plus throttle tip in and cold start table are mandatory for optimal tuning.

Sgottlieb wrote:How does the car test ethanol content without an ethanol sensor? Wouldn't it be just guessing otherwise?

Same way Koenigsegg does ;) It has worked flawlessly in the 20+ turbo test cars and one NA 09 Foz during last few months. Only hassle has been my own FXT with E85 so my Foz is running complete open loop tuning, no O2 sensor fueling feedback except the O2 sensors heater element

jay.ritchie wrote:I've been reading mixed messages about the economy of e85, is it more or less efficient?
I read that its less efficient, which is the reason its priced 20% cheaper than unleaded- (to stay competitive).

Yay or nay?

Tuned correctly, E85 can make more cruising torque despite the rich AFR's. Since AFR's are a ratio, a lot of people automactically assume a rich AFR means bad fuel economy. However, if on 98RON you need 60 grams per second of airflow to generate enough torque to overcome wind drag, tyre resistance etc and maintain constant road speed, you need roughly 4 grams of fuel to get 14.7:1. If you maximise torque then you can cut airflow back to say 36g/sec as you need less throttle to keep a constant speed which means you are using the same 4 grams of fuel since the AFR's are 9:1
The O2 sensor still has closed loop feedback to maintain optimal fuel economy as well.

KiDo_Tuning

Postby jay.ritchie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:10 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
Tuned correctly, E85 can make more cruising torque despite the rich AFR's. Since AFR's are a ratio, a lot of people automactically assume a rich AFR means bad fuel economy. However, if on 98RON you need 60 grams per second of airflow to generate enough torque to overcome wind drag, tyre resistance etc and maintain constant road speed, you need roughly 4 grams of fuel to get 14.7:1. If you maximise torque then you can cut airflow back to say 36g/sec as you need less throttle to keep a constant speed which means you are using the same 4 grams of fuel since the AFR's are 9:1
The O2 sensor still has closed loop feedback to maintain optimal fuel economy as well.

Interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on your results!
jay.ritchie

Car: MY12 VW Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21040

Postby Sgottlieb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:28 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:Same way Koenigsegg does ;) It has worked flawlessly in the 20+ turbo test cars and one NA 09 Foz during last few months. Only hassle has been my own FXT with E85 so my Foz is running complete open loop tuning, no O2 sensor fueling feedback except the O2 sensors heater element

Which means what?????
All E85 cars I have seen have been using ethanol sensors to detect ethanol. What makes your tune so different?
Using a O2 sensor element wouldnt be very accurate.
Sgottlieb

Car: SF5 Forester

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:33 pm

Sgottlieb wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:Same way Koenigsegg does ;) It has worked flawlessly in the 20+ turbo test cars and one NA 09 Foz during last few months. Only hassle has been my own FXT with E85 so my Foz is running complete open loop tuning, no O2 sensor fueling feedback except the O2 sensors heater element

Which means what?????
All E85 cars I have seen have been using ethanol sensors to detect ethanol. What makes your tune so different?
Using a O2 sensor element wouldnt be very accurate.

Oddly enough, it is working flawlessly and those involved are tuners in Europe and is where the Koenigsegg tune comparison was made. Few of the RomRaider guys know about the project and have been testing it ;)

Flex Fuel Sensor is from GM or Haltech... yet quite a few car Manufacturers have e-flex support without needing them... even finding a few people who have had engine failures from the GM Flex sensor failing! Aftermarket ECU's need the sensors as they have nothing else to determine the logic to alter the fuel pulsewidth. The unique Subaru O2 sensor design however is the key to getting it right.

Essentially, the extra tables have an EAM(E85 Advance Multiplier) which is a sliding scale of ethanol additive and timing advance. There is 27 safety routines to ensure the tune works as intended

Also, since I developed it myself over the last few months(from something I developed for my Nissan tunes) I was not aware that GM call it Virtual Flex Fuel Sensing while Ford call it Deductive Refuelling Logic :D Seems they came up with it recently as well

KiDo_Tuning

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific