3.0R vs 3.0R-B

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

3.0R vs 3.0R-B

Postby kroma11 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi Everyone, I hope I've posted this in the right area.

My name is Matt and I'm currently in the market for a 07+ Liberty 3.0R Premium / R-B. I was referred to these forums by another member who I had a chat to on my quest to find the right car! He mentioned that you guys are a helpful bunch and would be willing to help me out with any Suby related questions that I may have.

I've spent some time searching these forums and the net in general for some info about the different 3.0R models. I was initially looking at the 3.0R-B. After test driving the first one, I fell in love with Subaru and am now definitely set on buying one! This is a weird feeling for someone that has been obsessed with a RWD Nissan 180SX for the last 5 years...

My question is, what are the specific differences between the Spec-B model and the 3.0R Premium? So far I've established the following:
* Spec-B has the Bilstein suspension which seems to sit the car a little lower
* Spec-B has 18" wheels

Apart from these two differences, is there anything else that separates the R-B from the Premium? ECU tuning? Throttle responsiveness? Engine feel? Auto box feel?
Regardless of which way I go, I plan to get a Kido tune which I'm assuming has the potential to close any gap between the Spec-B and Premium in terms of performance and driving feel.

If you were to swap in the Bilstein suspension and 18" wheels, would you essentially have a Spec-B in disguise?

Cheers.
kroma11

Car: Nissan 180SX

Re: 3.0R vs 3.0R-B

Postby Kekotic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Different front bar on the Spec.B (looks nicer imo)
Spec.B gets nicer looking pedals
Spec.B gets the 6 speed manual, 3.0R/premium is auto only, although you seem to be buying an auto..... :?
Not entirely sure on this one but I think the 3.0R Premium was available with a cream interior, not sure the Spec.B had that as an option?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby zch91 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:32 pm

I have seen a preface 3.0rb with cream interior before

Not sure if the 3.0r gets the chrome on the sideskirts too
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby jakey » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:36 pm

I have a 3.0R with the cream interior. I have fallen in love with it, and honestly I don't clean it as much as you would think cream interior needs.
If you're getting an auto, your decision is made for you
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby Kekotic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:42 pm

There is no difference between prices for 3.0R and RB on carsales. Buy the RB you get more for the money.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby kroma11 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm waiting to be convinced to go for a manual... I've test driven both so far and although I enjoyed the manual, the paddle shift was nice as well... although I fear it may become more of a gimmick as time goes on. Convince me otherwise :)
I'm also thinking of buying an auto due to the fact that I may be using it for occasional towing duties, and reversing a trailer with manual doesn't sit too well with me! Don't get me wrong, driving the manual 180sx still puts a smile on my face every morning, I'm just thinking about the overall picture for the Liberty. I also thought that maybe, being a slightly more luxury vehicle, it may have more re-sale value being an auto?

Thanks for the info. I think you're right about the creme interior, as I've only seen creme in the 3.0R/Premium models I've checked out. (For face lifted models)

Seems the Spec-B has a few extra little visual upgrades that give it that sharper look... I couldn't pick it just from comparing the photos of both models, however now I can!

The other major factor I'm considering is KMs. How important is this really with the 3.0 Libertys? I'd be happy to buy something with 100,000km as long as it's been treated right, however multiple people are trying to talk me out of it. "You're buying a car with 100,000km for $20,000+? Really?"
kroma11

Postby Kekotic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 pm

You will be kicking yourself if you buy an auto and then only tow twice a year. The 6 speed manual is one of the best things about the MY07-09 Spec.B/TBSTi as it's the same one used in the WRX STi. They only had a 5 speed on the lower models.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby kroma11 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:01 pm

You may have just convinced me... okay think I have to test drive another couple on the weekend!

Had a look at your car profile page chaotic, very nice Spec-B you have there! Can't wait to get one!!!!!
kroma11

Postby Kekotic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Good luck and god speed :twisted:
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby chanham » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:31 pm

I own a 3.0R, the front bar is the same, it has chrome side skirts, im pretty sure it actually sits lower than the 3.0R-B (with softer suspension).

3.0R will suit better if you want more of a cruiser, and the R-B would prob suit better if you want to throw it around corners, and want a more sportier car.

I love my 3.0R...that being said, i still wish it was a manual!!
chanham
formerly ciand06

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R 2004
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18831

Postby Mickyboy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:11 am

I have a post FL 3.0R, and asked the same question a few months ago when looking to buy.
Here are the differences for post FL 3R vs 3RB.

Different front bar (although PRE FL bumpers are the same 3R vs3RB)

All 3Rs have ivory interior, all 3RB have black.
All 3Rs are auto only (with paddle shift on post FL), 3RBs have option of 6sp manual.
All 3Rs have rubber pedals, 3RBs have alloy pedals.
All 3Rs have 17" 6 spoke wheels, 3RBs have 18" 10 spoke shadow chrome wheels.
All 3Rs have KYB suspension standard, 3RB have Bilstein struts/springs (firmer and better handling but SAME ride height)
Engine, transmission and everything else are all exactly the same.

FYI since buying my 3R standard a few months ago, I have added Spec B Bilstein struts, wheels, pedals, Eibach springs, whiteline rear sway, KiDo tune as well as a few other bits and pieces. So essentially I now have a 3R with the nice ivory interior in a car that goes and handles better than a stock 3RB auto. I know the manuals are faster, but I wanted a break from manual and am very happy with the paddle shift when the mood takes me - especially after the tune!

Best of both worlds! :)

Hope that helps,

Mick.
Mickyboy

Car: MY07 3.0R Premium

Postby Mickyboy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:50 am

...and one other thing. 100,000kms is nothing if it was well looked after. I bought mine with 99,000kms on it and it looks, drives and even smells like a new car! i spent a few hundred bucks just fixing a few minor flaws but big deal - these cars were over $50k when new. People are always surprised to hear that it is 6 years old and most (non Lib) people still prefer the look of the Gen 4 model over the Gen 5.
Mickyboy

Postby kroma11 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Thank you all for the feedback and info. Much appreciated.

I test drove another manual post FL Spec.B yesterday and I must say that it honestly didn't excite me as much as I thought it would. I feel more inclined to buy the auto as I want the car to be a bit more of a cruiser rather than a twisties monster!
I get my manual hit from my weekend/track 180SX so maybe that's why the manual Lib didn't impress me as much as I thought it might. The paddle shift of the auto is nice, and I like the idea of me sitting back being lazy and taking a break from manual as well :)
That being said, the manual is much quicker 0-100 than the auto, so just out of curiosity, is there anything you can do to the auto to improve this situation? Does the Kido tune help with this?

I think I'll have to keep looking at 3.0Rs as well, as the exterior apart from the front bar isn't too different. (not considering wheels here)
kroma11

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:12 pm

kroma11 wrote:Thank you all for the feedback and info. Much appreciated.

I test drove another manual post FL Spec.B yesterday and I must say that it honestly didn't excite me as much as I thought it would. I feel more inclined to buy the auto as I want the car to be a bit more of a cruiser rather than a twisties monster!
I get my manual hit from my weekend/track 180SX so maybe that's why the manual Lib didn't impress me as much as I thought it might. The paddle shift of the auto is nice, and I like the idea of me sitting back being lazy and taking a break from manual as well :)
That being said, the manual is much quicker 0-100 than the auto, so just out of curiosity, is there anything you can do to the auto to improve this situation? Does the Kido tune help with this?

I think I'll have to keep looking at 3.0Rs as well, as the exterior apart from the front bar isn't too different. (not considering wheels here)

Mick should be able to confirm that twisties in an auto is fun with the paddle shift ;)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Mickyboy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Certainly is!
Holding second gear through tight twisties rewards you with some engine braking coming up to a corner as well as very crisp, linear and satisfying throttle response through and out of the corner, truly the H6 at its best! :D
Mickyboy

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific