Genome Mufflers ( ripped off!!!)

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Genome Mufflers ( ripped off!!!)

Postby Egg » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:02 pm

I ordered the Genome parts from that japanparts website which was ok.
Last Friday they arrived at Customs, Tuesday received a letter from Customs advising tha I had to fill out some forms and proof of purtchase etc etc. and 10%gst fee

Today we get a phone call saying the mufflers have cleared and we have to pay 332 dollars. What a rip off!!! $48 for application fee, $153 odd dollars for gst fee and $148 dollars for customs fees, what a joke.... on top of the extra 200 and something dollars these mufflers cost to have shipped over, it has cost about $1800,00 (mufflers $1283.00)

If i had of known about stupid hidden customs costs and crap I would have been better just getting a set of hi tech mufflers sent from Sydney to Melb and save 500 odd bucks.....

Mufflers will be delivered early next week.... I just hope they have been worth this money.
Egg

Car: MY07 Spec B Wagon Pearl white

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:38 pm

Ouch. My understanding is that you can avoid this customs crap if you get you goods brought in by a proper courrier company. These companies fill in all the customs paperwork (ie. it is a little bit like a self assessment) and you won't pay all these extras. Whereas if you get your goods brought in via Australia Post (some overseas companies rely on Australia Post) then you'll get hit with these extras.
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Postby Arith » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Egg, sorry to hear that bud. As someone who got hit with the same fees and taxes when I first ordered from overseas, it hurt like a MF. :blackeye:

Check out http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549.

For the part where it explains about importing:

"Irrespective of how your imported goods arrive in Australia, you will be required to lodge a formal Customs import declaration if their value is above $1,000, and to pay the calculated duty and taxes. "

I've done a lot of overseas ordering and most people/companies that ship to Australia are pretty good at fibbing the paperwork to undervalue the item being shipped to avoid customs fees. However with an exhaust system, that's pretty tough to mask it's value, so you'll pretty much be hit. :no2:

But you can see why most international companies don't like bringing in goods to Australia, and why Australia is so behind, especially in terms of technology, when it comes to the rest of the world. :fool:

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Re: Genome Mufflers ( ripped off!!!)

Postby PHAT GT » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Egg wrote:I ordered the Genome parts from that japanparts website which was ok.
Last Friday they arrived at Customs, Tuesday received a letter from Customs advising tha I had to fill out some forms and proof of purtchase etc etc. and 10%gst fee

Today we get a phone call saying the mufflers have cleared and we have to pay 332 dollars. What a rip off!!! $48 for application fee, $153 odd dollars for gst fee and $148 dollars for customs fees, what a joke.... on top of the extra 200 and something dollars these mufflers cost to have shipped over, it has cost about $1800,00 (mufflers $1283.00)

If i had of known about stupid hidden customs costs and crap I would have been better just getting a set of hi tech mufflers sent from Sydney to Melb and save 500 odd bucks.....

Mufflers will be delivered early next week.... I just hope they have been worth this money.

Hi EGG

welome to the real would of buying on line and thinking your saving money (READ THE FINE PRINT ON THE SITE YOUR BUYING FROM) IT STATES ON ALL ONLINE SITES;
All prices listed in our website, advertisement and/or catalog do not include shipping & handling charges. All prices and descriptions are subject to change without notice. Upon the placement of your order the total cost will be provided including shipping and handling charges. Prices do not include any additional taxes or duty that may apply on entry to your country.

also if customs finds the value lower than the price you bought it for they have the right to google that part and find the true value and charge you at full price GST & DUTYs and dont for get the brokers fee to clear the goods :cry:

as i import parts for a living i know all to well about GST & dutys and this is somthing you can not avoid

as stated in a few posts above there is no way of bring in goods marked over $1000 AU dollars with out paying GST & DUTYS

MY price landed ready for pick up on STI GENOME MUFFLERS $1380

somthing else you need to understand about online buying
QUOTE:

WARRANTY
All products sold by .................... are only subject to the manufacturers warranty. Manufacturer warranty will not be honored if the customers mishandling, abuse or faulty installation causes the defect. If a product is deemed faulty, The purchaser will pay for all shipping costs. .................. will only accept a warranty return if the purchaser supplies a receipt of installment from a licensed automotive engineer. Parts installed by a non licensed automotive engineer will render the warranty claim as void.

RETURNS
All items returned are subject to a 30% (Thirty percent) restocking fee. Returns are not accepted on ignition systems, computers, electrical units, bulbs, lighting accessories, software, special orders and custom orders. All other returns or exchanges are accepted within 3 days after date of invoice. It is the customers responsibility to contact ............. within this time period to be eligible for a return.

A return must be clearly marked on return packages, otherwise package will be refused. All returns must be unused, in the same condition as sold to buyer and in its original packaging. Returned parts with missing packaging, instructions, or parts will be subject to a restocking fee. The returned item(s) must be accompanied with a copy of the original invoice.

No returns or exchanges will be allowed if the item shows signs of having been installed, scratched, damaged or modified. Wheels which have been mounted, are not returnable. If .................. does not accept a returned item as being defective and/or returnable for any reason, the buyer must accept any incurred cost. It is the responsibility of the customer to verify the correct part before ordering and installing a particular part.

REFUNDS
A refund, exchange or core return will not be made until all items are returned to .................. Shipping and handling charges are non-refundable. Orders placed by credit card will be refunded to the same credit card account only. All other non-credit card orders will be refunded by either company check or store credit. Refused shipments sent back to .................... do not constitute a refund or credit. .................. reserve the right to charge the customer shipping & handling costs for the refused shipment and a 30% restocking fee.

HOPE THIS HELP

Michael
Last edited by PHAT GT on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WINNERS DONT DO DIFFERENT THINGS , THEY JUST DO THINGS DIFFERENT
PHAT GT

Postby Spec B Wgn » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:57 pm

I'll give you $1,300 for them that way you only lose $500 and then you can get your hitech ones from Melbourne for $800 so you make $500 and your square again..

deal... :lol:
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby Resonate » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:03 pm

Phat hooked me up with my mufflers. I love that guy. :heart:
Resonate

Car: MY07 GT-B (Diamond Grey)

Postby markii » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:08 am

Spec B Wgn wrote:I'll give you $1,300 for them that way you only lose $500 and then you can get your hitech ones from Melbourne for $800 so you make $500 and your square again..

comon, don't mock the bloke, id be feeling well like shit..
we told him in his other post, that he should ask the phatman..

:(
Pew Pew!
markii

Car: MY08 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby Egg » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:26 am

comon, don't mock the bloke, id be feeling well like shit..
we told him in his other post, that he should ask the phatman..

:(

Thanks for that, but I went with the 1st reply to the topics of exhausts and went to the japanparts one.

1st and last time I will be doing that, the main thing that's pissed me off is that I could have got a whole bloody 2.5 inch system with mufflers for that price I reckon.
Egg

Car: MY07 Spec B Wagon Pearl white

Postby tangcla » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:16 am

Spec B Wgn wrote:I'll give you $1,300 for them that way you only lose $500 and then you can get your hitech ones from Melbourne for $800 so you make $500 and your square again..

haha, aren't you the solutions man :D
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby Kagetsu » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:40 am

As someone who frequently purchases items over seas (camera equipment, and car stuff for my Supra) you do work out how to minimise extra costs.
I usually stick with UPS from most places, and EMS from Japan. At least ordering car parts is a little cheaper now. It used to be 10% Gst, and 15% levy... It's 10&10 now The thing that gets me is we were always charged GST on top of that levy.

BTW. If you're patient, and you know where customs house is, you can actually fill out the paper work yourself. It's far easier to go away and fill it out (unless a nice customs officer will help you out) as there's a lot 'reference' where the Interweb will come in handy.
Kagetsu

Postby Why » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:34 pm

Once you have them on and hear them you wont give a sh1t about the money :D
Mazda CX-9 Driver
Why

Postby Spec B Wgn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:20 pm

Why wrote:Once you have them on and hear them you wont give a sh1t about the money :D

exactly... they will sound awesome..

my offer still stands if you dont like them...

:wink:
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby Arith » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:17 pm

Universal fit exhausts may be half the price, but people pay the premium price for certain brands because they are after the sound it comes with :stinker: (and to a lesser extent the quality). Plus direct bolt-on systems have been R&D to avoid the droning and buzzing you'll get from universal setups.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby deucer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:47 pm

PLUS... you can sell your second-hand 'premium' bolt-on exhaust system seperately when you're done with it (assuming you keep the genuine kit tucked away somewhere. This reduces your total cost over time.

Univeral/ custom fit systems stay with the car and the cost is sunk (from your own pocket).

Cheers,
Deucer.
Ex MY05 3.0R-B Wagon... But Still in the Blood.
deucer

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific