100,000km service decision

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: 100,000km service decision

Postby Robbks » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:39 am

J0HNATH0N wrote:how hard was the plugs to change? i have my 100,000 due soonish and i thought it was F'n hard??

there is nothing hard about it from the top
correct tools.

you want hard to do
try doing the rear plugs on a TT V6 Legnum...
yes removal of intake manifold is needed...

coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby neverland1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:42 am

J0HNATH0N wrote:how hard was the plugs to change? i have my 100,000 due soonish and i thought it was F'n hard??

From underneath, car was up on stands as I couldn't 'roll' up the car ramps. it was quite easy to undo the 12mm bolts that held the igniters on. So basically 'crack the bolt with a 1/4 inch socket and ratchet( the really really small one ) then you can undo them with fingers. For the rear one is was a little tighter, still can use the socket set but it does help having smaller asian hands to get the right angle lol :roll: :lol:
Now regarding the spark plugs, its a a bit trickier. IMPORTANT NB: Make sure engine is cool to touch other wise it makes it more fun HAHAHA.
I used three 'parts':-
sparkplug socket , the 3/4 3 inch extension, and the ratchet.
I did however grind down the ball bearing' locking' area so that when you insert it into the socket it doesn't 'lock', you can pull it out easy as each plug require you to 're configure' as you unscrew the plug.
So really what it comes down to is:-
front plugs
all 3 assembled to 'crack' the plug loose. When loose , take off the ratchet and undo by hand. Install is reverse.
Middle plugs
all 3 assembled to 'crack' the plug loose. When loose , take off the ratchet and undo by hand. Install is reverse.
Rear Plugs
all 3 assembled to 'crack' the plug loose. When loose , take off the ratchet and undo by hand . Now this is the fun part. Ss you feel the plug come looose you'll notice that you cant take the socket/ext out with the plug as there is no room to move, so I recommend to screw in the plug again for about 3 turns, just enough for some thread to grab in heads. then easily(it was acutally a pain in the ass cause I hadn't 'filed ' the locking ball bearing down enough. My suggestion it to 'test' for smooth 'insertion/removal' of ext into socket before attempting rear plugs LOL) slide out the extention bar and finger unscrew the socket with plug... Voila! Install is the PITA reverse of removal.
Hope this helps
Regarding screwing the plugs back in, finger tighten till you feel the crush washer make contact, then gently and slowly ratchet tighten till you feel the plug crush the washer and make a 'firm' contact with head. Then up to 1/4 turn after that.
I'm pretty certain you wont 'thread 'the head as the plug has a a very long thread to begin with.
Anybody Please correct me if I've stuffed up any of the steps :)
Mustang Dave is on it!
neverland1

Car: MY06 Liberty 3.0R Spec-B

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Robbks wrote:

there is nothing hard about it from the top
correct tools.
you want hard to do
try doing the rear plugs on a TT V6 Legnum...
yes removal of intake manifold is needed...

V6 Galant and Magna are the same.

If you really want a tough one, my Pulsar is a drop the engine crossmember out to let the engine tilt forward, remove inlet manifold to replace the spark plugs as cannot remove the ignition coils due to firewall, brake master and clutch master being in the way :(
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby J0HNATH0N » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:39 pm

What pulsar? My dads Gti-R was pretty straight forward but I haven't looked at his 1.6.....
J0HNATH0N

Car: MY06 3.0RB
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19423

Postby nerdyfred07 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks for tips
nerdyfred07

Car: 2004 3.0R A/T stock

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific