Race Fuel/ Methanol Injection on EZ30

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Race Fuel/ Methanol Injection on EZ30

Postby saffarco » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:36 am

Any opinion or results?

Wondering if any one ran a race fuel on his EZ30 ride, or dropped a methanol injection kit. Just ideas folks.. I haven't seen a topic in the forum so said post a new one.
saffarco

Car: 3.0R 2009 5EAT

Re: Race Fuel/ Methanol Injection on EZ30

Postby Jelwin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:02 am

I had talked to Paul and Glenn and Alif at Chasers in Melbourne a while back, and talked about getting the E85 change over kit (for the pump 'e85') http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/StoreFront and tuning that to my car along with fuel pumps etc, and then getting a Meth injection kit residing in the boot teamed with it. It was certainly possible and would see some very good gains.....in theory. but that had to include a 'proper' custom intake piping, new exhaust headers, cats, exhaust, and alot of fuel management tuning time to get it right. i was happy to do it, but needed my car on a daily basis so put it on hold.
Ill state the obvious, if you have a turbo'd EZ30, or any turbo'd car, meth injection is one sure fire way of getting huge gains with the meth solution itself being able to last for ages. Its a much more efficient way of gaining power and you'll see a bigger percentage rise than with N/A. but id still try it ;)

Just my 2 cents

Josh
Jelwin

Car: MY06 3.0r-B

Postby saffarco » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 am

Thx Jelwin, I might consider and study this more. I'm planning for a tune soon, next might do something else. Keen to know more information from the guys who have done something related either fueling or meth injection, or NOZ.
saffarco

Car: 3.0R 2009 5EAT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:06 pm

saffarco wrote:Thx Jelwin, I might consider and study this more. I'm planning for a tune soon, next might do something else. Keen to know more information from the guys who have done something related either fueling or meth injection, or NOZ.

E85 has some decent gains in power, E85 is a cheap fuel here but I know it is a little more expensive last time I was over tuning in Bahrain/Saudi Arabia!

ELF race fuels with a tune to suit offers some substantial gains in power.

Meth injection would assist with making some power on the EZ30 which has a lot of knock from factory, I would even say meth on a stock tune would make some decent gains
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby bnevets27 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:24 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
saffarco wrote:Thx Jelwin, I might consider and study this more. I'm planning for a tune soon, next might do something else. Keen to know more information from the guys who have done something related either fueling or meth injection, or NOZ.

E85 has some decent gains in power, E85 is a cheap fuel here but I know it is a little more expensive last time I was over tuning in Bahrain/Saudi Arabia!

ELF race fuels with a tune to suit offers some substantial gains in power.

Meth injection would assist with making some power on the EZ30 which has a lot of knock from factory, I would even say meth on a stock tune would make some decent gains

Sorry to bump an old thread. I was curious about running meth on my 3.0, a bit of googling to see if there was any talk or evidence of it being done lead me here. Matt mentioning it would help with knock and give some gains is definitely encouraging. Since I'm only able to easily get 91 octane (95 RON) around here (Canada) and the fact that the EZ30 does knock a lot from factory, I figured looking to meth might help.

Currently my 3.0R is stock tune with no mods. The likely end goal will be to add a meth injections system. It was suggested to me to try running some meth in the fuel tank to see how it would react before going ahead with buying and installing an injection system. First goal is to reduce the knock which in turn should help the engine run better.

So I've done just that. Added 4L of meth to a full tank. I've ran 1/2 the tank so far. I've been taking screenshots of the learned values in btssm after every one hour drive. Also been logging those drives, including knock events. It doesn't look like its helped with knock and I don't really know what I'm looking for in the numbers. I'm not a big fan of saying if a car feels any different for engine mods so I'm hesitant to say if things felt like they have improved or if it's placebo. But it does seem like it is more responsive and pulls harder.

I'm open to suggestion on what to look for, what to do next or if I'm doing something wrong. If there is a good valid case for adding meth injections I'm interested in doing so as it seems like it might be a good fit for the EZ30 where E85 or higher octane fuel isn't an option.

Some data I have thus far

Knock events before meth
https://pastebin.com/g4XH2Efx

Knock events after meth
https://pastebin.com/Wskm5n5H

Attached are some screenshots of the learned values. From newest to oldest, with the oldest being taking before adding meth. The newest was a one hour drive after resetting the ECU.
Attachments
First after ECU reset- BtSsm_LV_20201113_1835.png
After ECU Reset
First after ECU reset- BtSsm_LV_20201113_1835.png (84.17 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
first drive on meth - BtSsm_LV_20201111_1828.png
First Drive on Meth
first drive on meth - BtSsm_LV_20201111_1828.png (82.46 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
Just before meth - BtSsm_LV_20201111_0914.png
Before Meth
Just before meth - BtSsm_LV_20201111_0914.png (83.03 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
bnevets27

Car: 2009 Legacy 3.0R

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:25 am

I’ll peep the logs, but it looks a bit off to me that your IAM would drop so soon after an ecu reset:

Pending the logs, if no mechanical issues, you’d be best getting the car tuned for the fuel your using.

Edit: those are not logs, they're knock snapshots.
If thats BTssm, set your knock detection threshold lower, or turn off that feature altogether.

I'd recommend making a 15 minute driving log using H6 tuning parameters, eg http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... .php?t=501

Add L&R avcs vvt angles and make another log, 15 minutes or so cruise and normal driving, to confirm avcs is working properly.

Then make another with all cylinder misfires logged.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby bnevets27 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:07 am

Thanks for the reply bigBADbenny. Sorry for the delayed response. As for the IAM. It didn't really drop per say as it never even went to 1.0 after the reset. Unless there is another reset procedure I'm not aware of. I just used reset ecu in btssm, which works for codes at the very least, but as far as I know should actually be resetting the ecu. But I am a bit confused with that from the information I've read where it says it should start at 1.

Getting it tuned is probably not a bad idea of course. Not too keen on putting the money into a tune for a 100% stock car though. I figured if it can at least look to run better on meth it might be worth going down that route. If it runs better on the stock tune with meth then great. If it needs a tune to run better on meth then if I decided to get a tune at least I know there is more of a reason to do it. If I just get it tuned to the current fuel I'm using its probably not going to improve anything as the fuel just isn't good enough. This is all my assumptions as I'm not too well versed on tuning.

I had made some logs while driving also. But yes those are only knock snapshots. Which aren't as helpful as I thought they would be. I'll have to look at my logs and see what I was logging and if they are of any use, otherwise I'll need to make new ones with the information you provided me. Quick look shows I wasn't logging VVT and some other parameters in that post. So looks like I will need new logs.

So I can understand, why are you asking me to create 3 separate logs, logging different parameters? Why not log all of them within one run?
bnevets27

Postby bnevets27 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:35 pm

Finally was able to get romraider working again. Not sure what happened it absolutely will not connect on the laptop I was using. So found another one and loaded it up and it's working. Same exact config on both so something must have got messed up. Anyway, hopefully this is what you were looking for.

All logs have the H6 parameter logging per the linked post, plus L&R avcs vvt angles and all cylinder misfires.

15 minute drive
Another 15 min drive
Shorter run with WOT
Another shorter run with WOT

Now that I have romraider up and running. Maybe I'll do a better test if I have an idea how I should do that. Reset the ecu again. Drive for a while. Then log. Then reset the ECU again and add meth? Or better not to reset between before adding the meth? Open to suggestions.

Thanks for offering to take a look at the logs. Let me know if there is anything else that's needed.
bnevets27

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:50 pm

Will do!
I was just looking into these :P
https://www.nitrousexpress.com/stand-al ... JLuG9dd528
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific