Fuel Consumption on 3.0

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Fuel Consumption on 3.0

Postby RX25SE » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:14 am

Shiv wrote:Jase I run it mostly in Intelligent mode with bits of Sport mode here and there. Reassuring to hear and see via this thread that I'm not the only one getting these sorts of numbers. One thing I've learnt since having the instant fuel economy gauge in this car is just how bad stop/start traffic is for fuel economy!

I tried intelligent but it pi$$ed me off too much, really kills the driveability.
Now I just leave it in S and I really haven't noticed a great difference in consumption. Maybe because in intelligent I always had my foot to the floor.

Still cheaper to run than the old Commodore!
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby Shiv » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:04 pm

RX25SE wrote:
Shiv wrote:Jase I run it mostly in Intelligent mode with bits of Sport mode here and there. Reassuring to hear and see via this thread that I'm not the only one getting these sorts of numbers. One thing I've learnt since having the instant fuel economy gauge in this car is just how bad stop/start traffic is for fuel economy!

I tried intelligent but it pi$$ed me off too much, really kills the driveability.
Now I just leave it in S and I really haven't noticed a great difference in consumption. Maybe because in intelligent I always had my foot to the floor.

Still cheaper to run than the old Commodore!

Yeh it really feels held back. Would feel different in a manual compared with an auto. Best way to describe it with an auto is it is like having a 4-speed instead of a 5-speed - reluctant to shift down. Funny thing is it is still faster than my old H6 was!
MY08 'off-road spec' Outback 3.0R Premium -- 1"inch raised King Springs, 1"inch lifting blocks, SubaXtreme alloy front & rear bars, KIDO Tune, Valenti Style Tail Lights + much much more!
Shiv

Car: MY08 Outback 3.0R Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27335

Postby zero_cool » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Howdy doody,

new Scooby owner
Bought the car on Saturday and loving it so far.

they are thirsty things and am workong on trying to get it lower.

My old turboed car was averaging 9.0l

I've read that an ecu reflash will help out with the fuel economy especially with cruising.

I travel the F3 (M1) freeway to commute to work and it will constantly bounce between 8.8 - 9.0L kms.

any further hints to drop it lower other than reflash or is this the best I can get?

Specs -
MY07 3.0R 5sp auto.
running BP 98
Stock as stock is stock.

Time to do some more hunting around!
Attachments
fuel.jpg
Fuel use
fuel.jpg (60.74 KiB) Viewed 4613 times
MY07 3.0R Premium Liberty
cushy and comfy.. and slightly thirsty.
zero_cool

Car: MY07 3.0R Liberty Premium

Postby WIDELOAD » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:22 pm

That's pretty normal.
Mine averages 11.5ish with my 80kmh round trip to and from work sitting in the hell that is the Ipswich Mwy.
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Postby patrickbateman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Blitzen06Wgn wrote:Shiv, those numbers are terrible. Have you checked it, may be the ecu giving a false reading. If not, you need to get a tune or something

Disagree, read this thread, there are plenty of people with properly tuned cars getting comparable numbers without thrashing it.

IMHO stop start traffic is a real killer with these cars, especially manuals by the looks of it.

That said, I agree about the false reading issue - my dash over reads by about 1.5 litres per 100kms. Only way to be sure is to compare your trip reading with actual litres of petrol in.
patrickbateman

Car: 2005 3.0r-b

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:28 pm

patrickbateman wrote:
Blitzen06Wgn wrote:Shiv, those numbers are terrible. Have you checked it, may be the ecu giving a false reading. If not, you need to get a tune or something

Disagree, read this thread, there are plenty of people with properly tuned cars getting comparable numbers without thrashing it.

IMHO stop start traffic is a real killer with these cars, especially manuals by the looks of it.

That said, I agree about the false reading issue - my dash over reads by about 1.5 litres per 100kms. Only way to be sure is to compare your trip reading with actual litres of petrol in.

Trip reading is out by 7% over what the ECU actually has(ECU has correct speed) and the meter is calculated off the ECU, distance and injector pulse ;)

So your odometer reading reads more Km's than it actually gets
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby patrickbateman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 am

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
patrickbateman wrote:

Trip reading is out by 7% over what the ECU actually has(ECU has correct speed) and the meter is calculated off the ECU, distance and injector pulse ;)

So your odometer reading reads more Km's than it actually gets

That's not what my experience driving known long distances says, but ok.
patrickbateman

Car: 2005 3.0r-b

Postby 30rbullet » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 pm

I do a ton of highway driving and average 6/8 per 100km.

Guage says I got 580 from my current tank just gone on 98 octane city driving.

I find it to be a little thirsty coming from a economical 4.2 turbo diesel patrol but these cars do not have massive fuel tanks either so it kinda evens out.
30rbullet

Car: 3.0r gen4 wagon

Postby Flat6Estate » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:21 am

On a run from Sydney to Albury I was showing 8.2 litres per hundred. Air conditioner was off for half the trip, but once turned on it didn't seem to make much difference. According to distance to empty I would have got 730kms from that tank of BP ultimate.

Will see what happens on the return trip today. I'll be using Shell 98 today.

Also booked in for Kido tune on Thursday night...Can't wait!! Hoping these will be better on future trips...
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:30 am

Timbo_rs2500 wrote:On a run from Sydney to Albury I was showing 8.2 litres per hundred. Air conditioner was off for half the trip, but once turned on it didn't seem to make much difference. According to distance to empty I would have got 730kms from that tank of BP ultimate.

Also booked in for Kido tune on Thursday night...Can't wait!! Hoping these will be better on future trips...

Fuel economy gets worse for the first few weeks as your constantly enjoying the new found power ;)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby Shiv » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:02 am

Timbo_rs2500 wrote:On a run from Sydney to Albury I was showing 8.2 litres per hundred. Air conditioner was off for half the trip, but once turned on it didn't seem to make much difference. According to distance to empty I would have got 730kms from that tank of BP ultimate.

Is Kido in Sydney??
MY08 'off-road spec' Outback 3.0R Premium -- 1"inch raised King Springs, 1"inch lifting blocks, SubaXtreme alloy front & rear bars, KIDO Tune, Valenti Style Tail Lights + much much more!
Shiv

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Shiv wrote:

Is Kido in Sydney??

In Melb at the moment, Canberra tomorrow night and Sydney on Wed/Thurs night

KiDo_Tuning

Postby Shiv » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:09 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
Shiv wrote:

Is Kido in Sydney??

In Melb at the moment, Canberra tomorrow night and Sydney on Wed/Thurs night

Is it too late, Matt?
Shiv

Postby chanham » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:19 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:Fuel economy gets worse for the first few weeks as your constantly enjoying the new found power ;)

TRUTH!
chanham
formerly ciand06

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R 2004
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18831

Postby Flat6Estate » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:32 pm

So, an update on todays trip. Albury to Marulan via Canberra using Shell 98 with the air on most of the way....8.4 litres per hundred and around 720km expected from the tank according to Distance to Empty - about the same as the trip down.

But here's where it gets interesting. I had about 1/3 tank left at Marulan and knew i couldn't get home on what I had, so a top up was required.

I filled up at the Caltex with 95, not 98, and headed for home with a blend of 1/3 98 octane Shell and 2/3 95 octane Caltex.
Even with the going up and down hills on the Hume Hwy between there and the Blue Mountains i managed 7.6 litres per hundred - a personal best without really trying. Air on, cruise on, same conditions as the rest of the weekend, the only difference is the fuel combination. And the Distance to Empty for the tank if all remains the same should be around 830km.

Timbo
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific