3.0R choking on startup

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

3.0R choking on startup

Postby SegR » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:46 pm

My poor 3.0R has been having problems starting for the last month or two. If I had to describe the sound, I'd say it sounds like this:

If I had to use words, I'd say it sounds like it's being starved of one of the three critical elements while cranking. Strangely, about 60% of the time the car starts fine without doing this. The remaining 40% of the time it has two cracks at starting as in the video (I was holding the key to 'start' the entire time) or just cranks in a single sequence for a couple of seconds longer than it should before starting. Either way, when doing this it always sounds like it's about to stall just before starting.

I can't find a pattern to it either - hot weather, cold weather, high/low fuel level, high/low humidity, recent vehicle use (whether I've driven it multiple times recently or it's been sitting in the garage for a week) - doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any idea what may be causing this?

I suspected my battery at first but since it was under warranty (the previous owner had one installed by RACQ) I had RACQ test it and they said it was fine... voltage was around 13V and 10.5V when starting. This sounded a little low to me though and I'm not 100% convinced they weren't just trying to avoid a warranty job on a 2.9 year old battery.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Re: 3.0R choking on startup

Postby SH30RB » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:37 pm

have you thought about getting someone else test the battery?

my first thoughts would have been the battery too
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby HyRax » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Old spark plugs not firing? Coil pack not zapping properly? Pre-fuel from pump not occurring when ACC engaged?
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby SegR » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Shouldn't be the plugs; had them changed about a month ago and it was doing it before & after.

Not sure about how to test the coil pack or pump.

My multimeter shat itself; need to buy a new one so I can check the battery for myself. Just dropped a ctek charger on it so will see if that makes a difference.
Team Beards
SegR

Postby champ » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 pm

check condition of the starter motor too.
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby Deep Heat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:16 pm

My guess is the fuel pump.
Jack_Keaka wrote: I like my women like subarus, box explodes and does a head easily.
Deep Heat
formerly Twinkle

Postby 666 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:36 pm

I also think it's the fuel pump, only because the fuel pump went on my Impreza last week and it sounded and behaved just like what you've posted. Only difference was that mine went without warning but it did sound like yours did just before it went.

Rob.

Car: Spec.B

Postby west_minist » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 am

Sounds like fueling issues, timing out or coil related.

When it does start, what happens?
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby Robbks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:03 am

do you wait for the fuel pump to prime fully before cranking? (and don;t touch the throttle)
i usually wait for the gauges to finish dancing before i crank mine over, starts easier.

Next test is to start it with the throttle flat to the floor (after waiting for fuel pump to prime)

yours is a bad start i'll give it that, but knowing those two things will help to know if it's getting enough or too much fuel.

test that and get back to me

could be a dying/ dirty crank sensor
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby SegR » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks for everyone responding to this.

west_minist wrote:When it does start, what happens?

On the days when it doesn't have a problem, it starts normally
On the days when it does have a problem, after turning over the starter, ignition happens, the engine 'chokes' a little (sounds like it's not getting enough fuel or air, or idling too low) for 0.5-1sec, then goes into normal idle and is fine.

Robbks wrote:do you wait for the fuel pump to prime fully before cranking? (and don;t touch the throttle)
i usually wait for the gauges to finish dancing before i crank mine over, starts easier.

Next test is to start it with the throttle flat to the floor (after waiting for fuel pump to prime)

yours is a bad start i'll give it that, but knowing those two things will help to know if it's getting enough or too much fuel.

test that and get back to me

could be a dying/ dirty crank sensor

No I don't wait for the pump to prime; I usually insert the key and turn it. I will try those things. Unfortunately because the problem doesn't always happen, it's a bugger to troubleshoot.
Team Beards
SegR

Postby SegR » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Well, starts have improved since I've been giving the fuel pump 3-4 seconds to do its thing before cranking. (that said, since it's random, that may simply have been good luck.) Today though, the starts have been crap regardless (though not as bad as in the vid).

Haven't tried the foot-flat test yet though will be booking her in for a look-over later this week anyway.
Team Beards
SegR

Postby d-chang » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Yeah I have posted a similar thing as yours there mate, but mine is not as bad... it's generally in the mornings that this happens for me.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=16126

I think this is a common issue with Liberty's that may be still on their original internals in the engine bay if your car is over a certain age. Mine is a 2.0R from 2006.

But as from the thread I posted above, some people have maybe narrowed it down to the type of fuel that is also used..

Please let us know what your mechanic says, will shed a lot of light on the issue.
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15749

Postby Tradewind » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Once upon a time choking on start up was necessary to get an engine running!! :lol:

That might be a touch far back for some of you
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby SegR » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Yeah I did consider my poor choice of words after I posted the thread. Not that I'm old enough to know what you're talking about of course.
Team Beards
SegR

Re: 3.0R gagging on startup

Postby SegR » Thu May 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Update on this...

Handed over the vehicle to my regular mechanic for a day.
Of course he couldn't reproduce the problem, despite the fact it had been having starting issues more frequently recently! I knew that would happen.
Pump and bracket were removed and reinstalled; no visible problems.
Fuel flow checks showed nothing as the problem wasn't happening at the time.
No Diagnostic Trouble Codes (past or present)
Battery and alternator voltages OK

As of the last few weeks it's been pretty reliable when priming line twice before starting. When not doing so it's been fairly bad. Since I got the car back though I havent had an issue... will see what happens over the next month. Maybe reseating everything will make it happier, or maybe the pump is just on its way out. The fact that priming the line twice was making a difference seems to indicate to me that it's not an electrical issue though.
Team Beards
SegR

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific