H6 3.0 - Lack of checking = Engine Carnage

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: H6 3.0 - Lack of checking = Engine Carnage

Postby Dropz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Changing oil and filter:
It is good practice to check the engine oil before hand so you know if it's using oil or not. Simply done by running the engine for 5-10 seconds until the oil light in the cluster turns off. Stop the engine, wait 30 seconds to 1 minute and check the dipstick. If the engine is cold the level should be at the second to top hole, if the engine is hot the level should be at the top hole (this hole is on the edge of the dipstick before the twist).

If its low be sure to check it regularly and consult your mechanic with your observations.

To drain the oil jack up the front of the car and remove the undertray, it's held in by 2 plastic clips and 3x 12mm bolts. The clips are in the front wheel arches, and the bolts are under the car. Using a 17mm socket or spanner undo the sump drain plug, allow the oil to drain, remove the crush washer from the plug and fit a new crush washer. Whilst it drains undo the oil filter which is on the drivers side. Undo the filter and allow it to drain. Before installing a new filter put some engine oil or a light smear of grease on the seal of the filter, and with a rag wipe the excess oil from the mounting surface on the engine. Screw on the new filter tightly. Wipe excess oil from the sump drain hole and refit the sump plug, ensure the washer crushes when doing it up. Refit the under tray and lower the car. Top up the engine oil with 6.5 litres of your preferred oil. Refit the cap and start the car until the oil level light goes out. Turn off the engine, wait 30sec-1min and check the engine oil. Top up accordingly.

EDIT: Stupid me, H6 oil filters aren't surrounded by exhaust, so you'll be fine! And its 6.5 litres of oil not 4.5 :S haha!
Last edited by Dropz on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby bilco512 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Dropz wrote:Changing oil and filter:
It is good practice to check the engine oil before hand so you know if it's using oil or not. Simply done by running the engine for 5-10 seconds until the oil light in the cluster turns off. Stop the engine, wait 30 seconds to 1 minute and check the dipstick. If the engine is cold the level should be at the second to top hole, if the engine is hot the level should be at the top hole (this hole is on the edge of the dipstick before the twist).

If its low be sure to check it regularly and consult your mechanic with your observations.

To drain the oil jack up the front of the car and remove the undertray, it's held in by 2 plastic clips and 3x 12mm bolts. The clips are in the front wheel arches, an the bolts are under the car. Using a 17mm socket or spanner undo the sump drain plug, allow the oil to drain, remove the crush washer from the plug and fit a new crush washer. Whilst it drains undo the oil filter which is between the exhaust manifold on the drivers side, if the exhaust is hot it's best to wear a glove or something to avoid burning your hand. Undo the filter and allow it to drain. Before installing a new filter put some engine oil or a light smear of grease on the seal of the filter, and with a rag wipe the excess oil from the mounting surface on the engine. Screw on the new filter tightly. Wipe excess oil from the sump drain hole and refit the sump plug, ensure the washer crushes when doing it up. Refit the under tray and lower the car. Top up the engine oil with 4.5 liters of your preferred oil. Refit the cap and start the car until the oil level light goes out. Turn off the engine, wait 30sec-1min and check the engine oil. Top up accordingly.

absolute legend, cheers for that!
checked my oil the other day, was at a good level but way much too black for my liking, still 5000km till service needed but i want to re fill with some decent oil so i have a little bit more peice of mind
thanks again!
bilco512

Car: Spec-B MY05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon

Postby Tradewind » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:04 am

Dropz wrote:Changing oil and filter:

To drain the oil jack up the front of the car and remove the undertray, it's held in by 2 plastic clips and 3x 12mm bolts. The clips are in the front wheel arches, and the bolts are under the car. Using a 17mm socket or spanner undo the sump drain plug, allow the oil to drain, remove the crush washer from the plug and fit a new crush washer. Whilst it drains undo the oil filter which is on the drivers side. Undo the filter and allow it to drain. Before installing a new filter put some engine oil or a light smear of grease on the seal of the filter, and with a rag wipe the excess oil from the mounting surface on the engine. Screw on the new filter tightly. Wipe excess oil from the sump drain hole and refit the sump plug, ensure the washer crushes when doing it up. Refit the under tray and lower the car. Top up the engine oil with 6.5 litres of your preferred oil. Refit the cap and start the car until the oil level light goes out. Turn off the engine, wait 30sec-1min and check the engine oil. Top up accordingly.

EDIT: Stupid me, H6 oil filters aren't surrounded by exhaust, so you'll be fine! And its 6.5 litres of oil not 4.5 :S haha!

Legend mate

Top work for the benefit of all 3.0 owners
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby bilco512 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:38 am

Dropz wrote:

HAHAHA
talk about engine carnage :lol:

thanks again for that mate
bilco512

Postby bilco512 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:05 pm

just went and got a filter and tried to get a crush washer, does 20mm sound right?
id hate to drop the oil then not have the right size washer.
bilco512

Postby Dropz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:41 pm

I've never measured one, it may be. The genuine part number is 11126aa000 if you goto Subaru.
Dropz

Postby bilco512 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Dropz wrote:I've never measured one, it may be. The genuine part number is 11126aa000 if you goto Subaru.

cool just rang subaru and ordered a few of them, thanks alot
bilco512

Postby Robbks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 pm

bilco512 wrote:just went and got a filter and tried to get a crush washer, does 20mm sound right?

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve = Winning
http://fumoto.com.au/
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby bilco512 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Robbks wrote:
bilco512 wrote:just went and got a filter and tried to get a crush washer, does 20mm sound right?

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve = Winning
http://fumoto.com.au/

dude, holy shit i might have to buy one of those!
who else runs these on their cars?
bilco512

Postby kiks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:45 pm

Not me, a spanner has worked for the last 100 years of cars??
kiks

Car: 1UZTurbo HQ ute, Gen3 1GZ 5L V12 lib

Postby Dropz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:03 pm

kiks wrote:Not me, a spanner has worked for the last 100 years of cars??

I had thought of displaying how pointless they are, but then decided against it, so glad someone spoke up haha.

They're no easier to use than a spanner, they are slower to drain due to the restriction they create and they are an eyesore. Also due to the fact that they are hollow and longer than a sump plug head they would be more likely to snap off or crack if you ever bottom out, which would normally just result in a scrape or dented sump.
Dropz

Postby bilco512 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Dropz wrote:
kiks wrote:Not me, a spanner has worked for the last 100 years of cars??

I had thought of displaying how pointless they are, but then decided against it, so glad someone spoke up haha.

They're no easier to use than a spanner, they are slower to drain due to the restriction they create and they are an eyesore. Also due to the fact that they are hollow and longer than a sump plug head they would be more likely to snap off or crack if you ever bottom out, which would normally just result in a scrape or dented sump.

haha, i bought one anyway, just too see how it goes!
they weren't that expensive so i just thought id give it a go
bilco512

Postby bilco512 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Dropz wrote:EDIT: Stupid me, H6 oil filters aren't surrounded by exhaust, so you'll be fine! And its 6.5 litres of oil not 4.5 :S haha!

I just contacted my subaru dealer in South australia here that does majority of the services ranging from 2000 models to present
and he said that the oil capacity after doing oil and oil filter for a 2004 Subaru liberty H6 engine is 5.5 litres - 6.0 litres?

sound right to everyone here?

would 6.5 be a bit too much?
bilco512

Postby Dropz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:46 pm

5.5-6l is for the gen3 h6 libs and outbacks. 6.5is for the gen4 and current h6 lib and outback.
Dropz

Postby bilco512 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Dropz wrote:5.5-6l is for the gen3 h6 libs and outbacks. 6.5is for the gen4 and current h6 lib and outback.

okay cool, i'd rather trust a fellow club liberty member haha

cheers again dropz
bilco512

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific