Clutch slipping?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Clutch slipping?

Postby Mateusz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Hey all,

I've noticed some weird rev behaviour when flooring it in 3rd yesterday and today. It's happened about 4 times. It was all fine up until about 3000-3500rpm but after the revs just shot up, kinda like the clutch was slipping. The weird thing is that it hasn't happened once in 1st or 2nd gear. If the clutch was on it's way out, wouldn't it be more likely to slip in 1st and 2nd?

Any ideas what it could be?

Btw, I've got a 2005 R-B with just under 105,000km.

Thanks a lot,

Matt
Mateusz

Car: MY05 3.0R-B

Re: Clutch slipping?

Postby Robbks » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:22 pm

nah, 1st and 2nd gears are very short ratios so the actualload on the gearbox/ clutch and engine is a fair bit less than in 3rd/ 4th
3500rpm is getting to the point where the AVCS does some black-magic and gives you a heap more torque too
so it's quite feasible that it's just good-old clutch slip.

but take a look around the front of the box/ rear of the engine from underneath and see if there's any sign of oil leaks.
there may be some oil leaking onto the flywheel causing the slip.
otherwise it's box-out and new clutch time.

BTW my 3-RB clutch was McR00ted at 120k km's
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Mateusz » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:55 am

Oh ok. I just thought that it would be more likely to slip in the shorter gears.

Yeah that makes sense now why it slipped around 3500rpm. Looks like I'll need a clutch replacement soon then. What clutch do you suggest? I've read a bit on the forums about the Exedy standard OEM and the HD clutches. What did you replace yours with? And roughly what price am I looking at? I'm hoping no more than $1500.

Cheers
Mateusz

Car: MY05 3.0R-B

Postby kiks » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Anything but exceedy fluffy shit with that woven rope crap in it.

Sachs, AP, etc.
kiks

Car: 1UZTurbo HQ ute, Gen3 1GZ 5L V12 lib

Postby Robbks » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:23 am

call Jim Berry at RaceClutch
Mine began life as a Sachs kit, then it gets Jim's treatment of Double thickness organic friction material, and pressure plate customised to suit the application.
$1100 including machined flywheel (in exchange for all your old junk)
+ fitting by your mechanic.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Tradewind » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:55 pm

I reckon I have seen the first signs on this on my Lib a day ago

My partner reported it when she gave it the berries in 3rd and the revs went up but apart from stinking smells the car speed made no increase

Today I tested it, applied full throttle in 3rd allowed engine to pull to 6500rpm then gradually applied the brakes until the rpm was back to 2500rpm, not a hint of slip even at these maximum loadings, however I am not convinced that some early signs could be showing up

Will monitor the action closely
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby Kekotic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:19 pm

I know this is the 3.0/3.6 section, but seeing as we share the same 6 speed.....

I already brought this up with a certain mechanic on this forum, but basically I noticed if I am in 2nd gear and doing about 25km/h and try and put it in to 1st, not only is it pretty hard to slot it in, but there is like a "whirring" sound as I'm trying to shift it in, like something small spinning really fast. The answer I got was that it is because 1st gear isn't designed for higher speeds at all, so shifting down to it at that speed will cause the whirring sound. But I had never noticed it before, until I got that damn ECU Data Scanner and decided it would be a great idea to try 0-100km/h tests out the back of where I live on some country roads for about 20 minutes straight. About 15 full hard launches worth(the kind of launch you cringe at just thinking about it). I have definitely noticed the gear changes are a little more rougher than they used to be too, comparing to when I purchased the car originally.

Is this the clutch only, or should I be worried about this whirring noise when trying to shift down to 1st. Below about 18km/h the whirring I can't hear and it's not hard to slot it in.

I don't get any clutch slippage either, which is why I'm a little worried.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Tradewind » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:43 pm

You should consider you have done some damage to the transmission - 20 mins of extreme use can really damage a lot of stuff -

I wouldn't like to the owner of that car in 12 months time - could be big repair $$
Tradewind

Postby Kekotic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:54 pm

Okay but are you talking from experience with this 6 speed?

every other gear seems pretty good, I mean obviously the clutch is more worn since I first bought it so gear changes aren't as smooth as when I purchased it, but still pretty smooth.
It's just this going from 2nd to 1st that I'm worried about, but at the same time I cant remember ever trying to change down to 1st at that speed before, so maybe I'm just being paranoid or something?

The Subaru mechanic I spoke to from this forum said that the whirring is normal because the gear isn't designed for speed, so changing down above a certain speed causes the whirring.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby Tradewind » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:28 pm

I have a 6 speed Liberty

Also have 5 speed Impreza also
Tradewind

Postby Kekotic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Sorry I meant experience with what I am talking about.

You have only owned the 3.0 for a few months right? So you really don't know all that much about it?
I'm hoping for a response from Robb or Youngy etc.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby Dropz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:35 pm

Wind up is normal in first because the gears and bearings are doing such high speeds. Think of a fan, the faster it spins, the louder it is right? It's the same thing with bearings.

I wouldn't be worried unless it crunches, which indicates the synchro's are writing up their letter of resignation.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby Kekotic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Yep no crunches.
Thanks Dropz, I didn't wanna name drop you just in case, don't wanna hurt your rep or anything but I totally appreciate your expertise for all questions I have!
I was just worried because of how badly I treated the car for those few minutes I expected some sort of repercussions, so perhaps it's all in my head so to speak.

Like I said I couldn't remember ever trying to change down to 1st like that beforehand, so I think it just caught me by surprise when I did it and I put the 2 together and assumed I had done something bad.

As for gear changing being less smooth in general though, thats definitely the clutch right?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby Dropz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:02 pm

It can be, but it can also relate to dirty oil or clutch fluid. Oil for the obvious reason, doesn't lubricate as well and clutch fluid as it may not act on the slave cylinder as effectively and therefore not giving the clutch fork 100% movement, which would also wear your clutch down faster. Worst case scenario would be synchro's or gears, but I doubt that.

When was the oil done last and what was used?
When was the clutch fluid last replaced and bled?
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby Kekotic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Dropz wrote:When was the oil done last and what was used?
When was the clutch fluid last replaced and bled?

2 very good questions and I would have to say over a year ago for the clutch fluid stuff.
As for the engine oil assuming that is what you meant, I changed it myself to Redline 5W-40 less than 5000km ago.

My next service after new years Im getting every single oil/fluid in the car replaced.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific