launching the 3rb

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

launching the 3rb

Postby Doyab » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:06 pm

ok so how do we launch this thing. the awd doesnt seem to be easy to launch like my old vn commonwhore.
thanks jake.
Doyab

Car: 2005 3.0RB

Re: launching the 3rb

Postby BUDDAH » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:18 pm

:roll: another one
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby Doyab » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:27 pm

What's that supposed to mean? Real helpful buddy.
Doyab

Postby BUDDAH » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Ok here the trick rev the living shit out of it 7000rpm should do drop the clutch and off you go

O is it a auto??

Wack it in D Stall it up till you smell burning drop the brake. Or hold 7000rpm slam it into D and off you go :D
Last edited by BUDDAH on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby garbo41610 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:46 pm

Is your car auto or manual? What are you trying to acheive? burnouts? racing people at the lights? How many km's does your car have? What modifications does your car have?

Awd cars are an art to take off quickly and safely.

What's that supposed to mean? Real helpful buddy.

Your first post wasn't too helpful, try and put more info into your posts so people can give you some tangible advice.
Car(s): Steel Silver MY10 GT Wagon + 1985 Subaru Sherpa

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
garbo41610
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon Steel Silver

Postby Doyab » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:05 pm

Well it wouldnt even rev to 7grand if I wanted, it got a 5g limiter at standstill.
Well I was just after a technique to a quick launch. It's just got catback exhaust. 117000ks. Just dumping the clutch causes it to just bog down. Also don't really wanna damage things either. Sorry lack of detail in op. But people don't to have to be arseholes about it.
Doyab

Postby smythie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:15 pm

It is what Buddah does best. Don't ignore him completely - sometimes he does provide some useful info.

Onto your question, you didn't need to add anymore info. 'twas easy to understand. You'll need a good deal of revs and you'll need to slip the clutch for a bit. A hard launch in these is really rough on the clutch if you want to get it best without smashing the rest of the driveline.
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby Doyab » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:36 pm

I've tried to feed throttle with a smoothish clutch action and seems okish but idk. Maybe its just a case of practice. If dump it at 5000rpm. Just bogs down. Even learning to heel and toe was easier then this.
Doyab

Postby Jelwin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:19 am

Doyab wrote:I've tried to feed throttle with a smoothish clutch action and seems okish but idk. Maybe its just a case of practice. If dump it at 5000rpm. Just bogs down. Even learning to heel and toe was easier then this.

Because it is 'bouncing' at 5k rpm that will not be your best launch and most likely to bog down because the fuel/ignition is cutting out. to get the most out of your cars launch, you have a rolling start, around 1-3 kph, really slow. just so the rev cutout (5k rpm cut) doesnt activate and it revs to 7200. and just as its on its way up dump the clutch around 7000 rpm. it gave me wheel spin on semi slicks :) and a good launch.
it will also give you major problems with your clutch, gearbox, driveline, diffs, axles and everything else you can think of, if you constantly do it.

just a head up. :)
Jelwin

Car: MY06 3.0r-B

Postby KWICKS » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:12 pm

The clutch is supposed to be the weak point in the driveline, so if all goes well you will just fry that. And doesn't it stink! If all doesn't go well you have enough change after you've sold off the spare parts to get back into a VN Commonwhore. Just.

This car is so not about drags and street launches. It's designed for "luxury sports" motoring, with a good mix of speed and agility, without being exceptional at either so as to allow wannabe racers to run out of skill just before it runs out of handling ability.
KWICKS

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B

Postby Tradewind » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:01 pm

KWICKS wrote:The clutch is supposed to be the weak point in the driveline, so if all goes well you will just fry that. And doesn't it stink! If all doesn't go well you have enough change after you've sold off the spare parts to get back into a VN Commonwhore. Just.

This car is so not about drags and street launches. It's designed for "luxury sports" motoring, with a good mix of speed and agility, without being exceptional at either so as to allow wannabe racers to run out of skill just before it runs out of handling ability.

Excellent answer I thought

Either way big launchs will soon be costing big bucks, AWD is all about traction - so the clutch has to be sacrificed which = $$$ more regularly if the practice sessions last a long time

I think you will work out how to launch it properly after your first big bills start rolling in, you will get the hang of it right after that for sure
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby Ric » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:17 pm

Doyab wrote:I've tried to feed throttle with a smoothish clutch action and seems okish but idk. Maybe its just a case of practice. If dump it at 5000rpm. Just bogs down. Even learning to heel and toe was easier then this.

You can see me doing some launches in a very similar car to yours at Rob Roy hillclimb this Sunday ;)
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12748

I rev to about 4000 with the clutch in, then floor it and let the clutch out smoothly. You can see what happens by looking at the logs I took with an ECUDATASCAN as I did it.
The revs rise to 4500, then drop as the clutch starts to bite, then drop even quicker when the wheelspin stops after the first second. ;)

viewtopic.php?p=103928#p103928

e.g. Image
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby The Sean » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 am

I used to rev out to 2500 RPM and half let out the clutch while it was still spooling up and the fully out on the clutch by about 3000 RPM. That tended to get things flying along...

...then you'd hit the speed limit in about 2 seconds after that and found that while it was fun, it just really wasn't good practice and public transport really wasn't an option for my line of work.

KWICKS hit the nail on the head, these are sports/luxury. Enjoy the ride and the interior!
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean

Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)

Postby Ric » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:13 am

The Sean wrote:I used to rev out to 2500 RPM and half let out the clutch while it was still spooling up and the fully out on the clutch by about 3000 RPM. That tended to get things flying along...

You're obviously talking about a GT. The question is about a 3RB :)
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby The Sean » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:23 am

I used to talk to the car a lot, I think it took on my postivie words and paid me back in kind :D

Seriously though, mine used to really haul at 3000RPM once the car itself was moving. If I just popped the clutch at 3000RPM, not much happened except me majorily cringing at the potential damage I did (My engine was stock but it only averaged about 5k a year and I was rather protective with it)

Bear in mind, it's been about 2 months since I last drove (anything let alone Sweet Lady Lib) and maybe my memory has grown fonder, the numbers may not quite be right...I actually saw a Gen IV Legacy the other day from behind (not sure exactly which flavour it was) and I had a moment
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean

Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific