3.0R regular fluid checks

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

3.0R regular fluid checks

Postby Dangrant » Sat May 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi new owner of a 3.0r and a bit of a mechanical spaz. checking oil level and topping up is no problem between service. I am using castrol 10 w 30. But what else should I be checking and what products should I use. Eg coolant can I use any coolant from supercheap or is there a specific kind. I tried to take off the radiator cap but I twisted it and it wouldn't come off. Is there a trick? Once I get it off do I top up with water or coolant? Any help on general engine maintenance besides oil would be great. My first Subaru and I love it. Smokes a bit from the exhaust though.
Dangrant

Car: 3.0 myo5 liberty

Re: 3.0R regular fluid checks

Postby Dropz » Sun May 29, 2011 5:41 pm

when undoing the radiator cap it will turn roughly 90degrees and stop, this is a 'safety' catch for when the car is hot so the cap doesn't shoot off. just push it down and twist some more. If you are just topping it up between services you can use water, but if you are changing it then use coolant, any will work.

Other things to check, with the car running you should check the auto trans (if it's auto) which is located on the passenger side near the back, look down a bit and you should see a yellow handle for the dipstick. At work we use Castrol Transmax E for them.

In a similar spot on the drivers side will be another yellow dipstick, this is the front differential (in manuals this is also the manual gearbox level, they share the same oil and dipstick). Use Castrol Multitrax in this.

Also don't forget brake fluid (dot4 or higher) and clutch (if it's manual). Both are mounted on the firewall on the drivers side and have yellow lids.

Check the power steering which is located on the drivers side about half way back, again with a yellow lid. You can use Castrol Dexron 3 in this or power steering fluid (both work).

And if you are really keen check the rear differential oil which means getting under the car with a 1/2inch drive breaker bar. The oil should be level or just below (say no more than 5mm) the check plug which is the upper plug located in the rear of the diff. Again, this uses Castrol Multitrax.

Other checks can include: Radiator hoses for swelling, and leaks. Battery acid level (use distilled water). Drive belts for cracks and adjustment. Tyre condition and pressures (don't forget the spare!). Brake pads and disc rotors. All headlights, brake lights etc. Window wipers and washer jets. Shock absorbers for leaks. CV boots for cracks and leaks. Control arm and swaybar bushes. And exhaust rattles or leaks.

That should cover the main things to check every service.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby Dangrant » Sun May 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks mate great detailed help, will do
Last edited by Dangrant on Sun May 29, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dangrant

Car: 3.0 myo5 liberty

Postby Dropz » Sun May 29, 2011 7:39 pm

If you would like any more info let me know, I'm a 3rd year Subaru technician :)

I'll try and snap some photos if I get a h6 at work tomorrow.
Dropz

Postby ix9 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:39 am

Dropz wrote:
I'll try and snap some photos if I get a h6 at work tomorrow.

If you could snap some photos of a H6 6-speed reverse-light switch (where the fk is it?) I would be forever in your debt ;) :)
ix9

Car: Liberty

Postby Dropz » Mon May 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Won't be able to get a photo of that, it's located on the top of the box, lol. Can do it with the box in, but the exhaust and front swaybar need to come off, as well as the gbox crossmember. You can get the box just low enough to get a spanner in.
Dropz

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific