Centre Diff Binding

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Centre Diff Binding

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:14 pm

This arrived today :D .
Took months to arrive, because of delays out of Japan. Brand new in 'Subaru Genuine Parts' box. Was $970 from Tuspeed in Sydney + $20 freight. You may be able to find one a little bit cheaper, but Adam at Tuspeed has been brilliant for every part I've been after (stock or aftermarket) when other places have been very average regarding getting back to me, or keeping me updated, or not making mistakes with their parts or shipments. Tuspeed could source one faster from within Aus, but more $s.

Still better than the $1450.00 the dealer quoted. I'll still get the dealer to do the work (quoted $550 for 4h labour), because several workshops I've been to that people have said could do this work (so called 'performance workshops') locally in Townsville have been shocking.

[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:59 pm

Nice and shiny. Once i have some dosh ill have to fork out for one of these. Whether i go aftermarket or genuine is the next question
Also hopefully will have clutch and flywheel ready to slap in at same time to save me a lot of effort. Am nearly thinking to do timing chain tensioner if it is an engine out job rip the whole lot out in one go and then split the tranny off and do the clutch etc while its all out
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:27 pm

I was speaking to Matt (KiDo) and he asked me if mine was aftermarket or stock. Because some aftermarket ones (one that he mentioned, maybe others also) have different front/rear power distribution. I can't remember the exact details, since I got a stock part, but he warned me about aftermarket ones that basically make the car very rear-wheel-drive biased. It's fine if you want that sort of thing, but it does change how the car handles.

And yeah, I'll get my clutch upgraded at the same time too.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby danew » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:47 am

I replaced the centre diff in my sisters car about 8 or so months ago.

Took about 2.5 hours to do from start to finish, it's actually a pretty easy job, all the workshops making $550+ off it for labour seems excessive.

You don't need to remove the gearbox from the car to be able to change it, it just needs to be able to lean back slightly to get easier access.

If anyone is interested I bought my centre diff for $640 delivered (when the exchange rate was 0.92 to the USD).
danew

Car: wrx hatch

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:17 pm

Would be cool of the box doesn't need dropping if its easy enough. Ill be honest i haven't even looked under there to see how it comes apart and where it actually goes.
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby danew » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:47 pm

Brunsy3.0 wrote:Would be cool of the box doesn't need dropping if its easy enough. Ill be honest i haven't even looked under there to see how it comes apart and where it actually goes.

100% the box doesn't need to come out, you just need to remove the gearbox cross member and tilt it all backwards.

If you have access to a hoist and are relatively handy with tools it's pretty easy to do yourself. From memory there are some needle bearings that you need to ensure go back in the correct order once you have the rear housing off the gearbox, but the centre diff comes out once the housing is off and the new one slips into place.
danew

Car: wrx hatch

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:59 pm

My car is going in today to have the new centre diff installed (and clutch) :D.

I'm away for 3 weeks, so they have lots of time to work on it. I'll report back, and hopefully it fixes the binding (it should!).
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Shaheenis » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:25 pm

Good luck Tom. FYI when I got my service done I got talking to the mechanic about Centre diffs and he reckons 2hrs labour on car to replace.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Good luck Tom. FYI when I got my service done I got talking to the mechanic about Centre diffs and he reckons 2hrs labour on car to replace.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm getting my STi trans mount, new Transmission Reverse Switch, Shifter bushings and clutch done also. But they are lots of things that can be done while the centre diff is being done, so not a lot of duplicating of labour :).
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:21 pm

So turns out the diff that was supplied is wrong :?. It's apparently a US Spec one with an extra cog. So I'm stuck paying dealer prices $1400 for them to supply one from Syd. $500 more than what I paid from a Syd based company who sourced it from Japan. I'm interstate atm, away from home so I have no chance of sourcing another one elsewhere. Annoying, but as long as I get my money back, it's not a total disaster.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby mr_sinistah » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:56 pm

Ouch, did you get it sorted though??
How much was it all up?
MY05 3.0R-B
mr_sinistah

Car: MY05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: IG: mr_tanzil

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:08 pm

mr_sinistah wrote:Ouch, did you get it sorted though??
How much was it all up?

With Subaru it's all sorted. I'll know how much it is once I'm back. About 4h labour, with the other stuff I'm getting done while the trans is out (STi trans mount, Reverse switch and clutch). So about $500 they quoted incl fluids etc. I just had to pay dealer prices for the Centre Diff (price mentioned above).

What's not sorted yet is the return & refund of the wrong part. Adam from Tuspeed wanted to speak with the dealership about why the part was wrong.

What's really up in the air is the Jim Berry clutch. He hasn't returned any calls in the last week. His voicemail says he's having surgery and isn't back until end of Jul. But he replied after I sent an email and said he's just moving at the moment. So lucky I'm away, the car can sit for a few more weeks while that's sorted.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Shaheenis » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Tom I am really interested to see how the car feels after this from all aspects you are replacing.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Tom I am really interested to see how the car feels after this from all aspects you are replacing.

Cool, I'll report back in a few weeks when I'm back :).

The diff isn't an upgrade/mod - just installing a stock one again to replace the worn one. Will fix the problem this whole thread is based on (diff binding). That'll just mean no more clunk-clunk-clunk while parking (turning sharply at low speed).

The STi Trans Mount will be exciting. Is supposed to be a better shifter feel (less sloppiness in the whole trans assembly). I've seen videos on Youtube showing how flexible the stock mount is. The one I chose isn't the super-hard 'Group N' version, just one firmer than stock. Should be great - especially with the STi short shifter I already have - and love! The short shifter isn't a shorter shift lever, but it's really how the car should've come (much crisper shifter and shorter shifts).

Reverse switch is just replacing the Transmission Reverse Switch (that detects when you're in Reverse and turns the reverse lights on). Mine intermittently don't come on when selecting reverse.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:20 pm

Oh and the clutch should be great. From what others have said, quite a bit more clamping power over stock, without much more clutch pedal pressure/weight. Can handle those hard launches better.:).
tom_kauf
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific