3.0R Spec B Pre-purchase checks

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

3.0R Spec B Pre-purchase checks

Postby Adam_E » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi forum gurus :)

I am going to look at an auto 3.0RB on the weekend, and want to be sure to check all the right points. It is a 2007 with 20,000km, so I'm not expecting anything too serious. It still has 2 months new car warranty + 3 months statutory warranty. From my reading here, the biggest potential issues seem to be high oil consumption and big end-bearings.

I currently own a 2003 2.5 (180,000km) which has a characteristic tic-tic-tic when cold that mostly disappears when hot. Our Subaru service agent tells me that's normal.

Should I expect that from a 3.0? Or should it be more-or-less silent, cold and hot?

What else should I check, apart from oil colour (and quantity!) and smell? Obvious crash repairs, I suppose, but what else? Anything specific about the 'semi-auto' in these, for example?

I'm a farmer that services various machinery and vehicles (plus done engine conversions, etc), but I've pretty much left the Suby up to the service agent (so I have a full log book for resale). So I know generally what I'm looking for, but any 3.0RB specific hints would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.
Adam_E

Car: MY08 3.0RB

Re: 3.0R Spec B Pre-purchase checks

Postby specbtommy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:12 pm

20,000kms only ?

correct me if im wrong my 3.0r spec b doesnt come in auto
specbtommy

Car: 2006 liberty spec b

Postby Adam_E » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:43 pm

specbtommy wrote:20,000kms only ?

That's what the odo says, and the RTA rego check didn't indicate any anomalies.
The log book only shows two services - 4,169km and 10,154km (ie both early).
One private owner since new (a little old lady, perhaps :wink: )

correct me if im wrong my 3.0r spec b doesnt come in auto

They sure did (from 2006 onward, I think) - check out RedBook.

A manual would have been preferable but, for various domestic reasons, the flappy-paddle 5-sp "sports" auto was deemed a suitable compromise.
Adam_E

Postby Viper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Yup, sure did come in auto.

Anywho,

- Check the steering wheel (good spot to really tell if the K's are genuine)
- Check oil level/colour (however if its from the dealer, they would be fkn stupid to not do a change/service)
- Grab the numbers and ring subi to get the service history
- Inspect the books
- Go for a drive, check ABS, listen for any random noises from the diff/engine.
- Slow speed cornering (check for drive shafts)
- Check fuel consumption.

Thats about it really. If its a genuine 20k, you cant really go too wrong provided the servicing is genuine suby.

Good luck.

vPR
Viper

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec B

Postby teK-- » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Adam_E wrote:That's what the odo says, and the RTA rego check didn't indicate any anomalies.
The log book only shows two services - 4,169km and 10,154km (ie both early).
One private owner since new (a little old lady, perhaps :wink: )

The car has been underserviced then. In almost 3 years the car should have been serviced 6 times (every 6 months). I'd be concerned of engine wear if the owner has let the oil go for that long, especially if that 20KKms is all very short drives (engine oil never gets up to temp).
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Adam_E » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Viper wrote:- Grab the numbers and ring subi to get the service history
- Check fuel consumption.
vPR

I've got the details - can I call any dealer, or do I have to ring Subi central?
I wonder if they'll tell me if there were any reported issues like high oil consumption??

I gather I can check historical fuel consumption from the trip computer. Is that something I could easily work out from the manual? (Or just playing with the computer - that's how I work out most of these things ...)

teK-- wrote:The car has been underserviced then. In almost 3 years the car should have been serviced 6 times (every 6 months). I'd be concerned of engine wear if the owner has let the oil go for that long, especially if that 20KKms is all very short drives (engine oil never gets up to temp).

I did wonder about that. It was sold in early Dec 2007 and the first service done at the end of April 2008 (so a month early). The second one was done end of Feb 2009 (so 4 months late). It is therefore now 1 month + 3 weeks overdue for its 3rd service. In the scheme of things, I don't think the lack of servicing is too big an issue.

I'm more concerned about the 'lots of little trips' issue, which is something I cannot find out about. Although the fuel consumption may give an indication?

What about the engine sound - anyone have a clip of what 'normal' sounds like?

Thanks for the replies - all good thoughts so far.
Adam_E

Postby The Sean » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Jim is on to something there, it should have been serviced more based on elapsed time.

On the oil consumption thing, didn't they get on top (or get rid) of that issue with the facelift models (i.e. I thought it was the pre-facelift 3 litre engines that had the drinking problem)
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean

Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)

Postby teK-- » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Adam_E wrote:I did wonder about that. It was sold in early Dec 2007 and the first service done at the end of April 2008 (so a month early). The second one was done end of Feb 2009 (so 4 months late). It is therefore now 1 month + 3 weeks overdue for its 3rd service. In the scheme of things, I don't think the lack of servicing is too big an issue.

I'm more concerned about the 'lots of little trips' issue, which is something I cannot find out about. Although the fuel consumption may give an indication?

What about the engine sound - anyone have a clip of what 'normal' sounds like?

Thanks for the replies - all good thoughts so far.

I haven't got my book with me but I thought the first service was within 3 months or 5,000Kms (or thereabouts). This is the most important service since you are changing out the original factory fill of oil, after the engine has worn in and there is a lot of metal particles etc circulating. Most enthusiasts even change out the oil as early as 1,000Kms and then again at the first service.

Third service was due August 2009, so it is now 14 months late (the engine oil has been in there since Feb 2009 which is going on 20 months ago!).

The A and B trip meters may give some clue to fuel consumption and whether short trips were present; it depends how long ago they were reset.

Personally if I really wanted this car I would be doing a used oil analysis to find out what the state of that oil in the engine is like (it's probably lost all its viscosity and is like water now).

Also other things like coolant, and transmission oils etc, it would not have reached its schedule to replace those on a mileage basis, but possibly on a time basis (coolant and transmission/diff oil is every 2 years for example). If those fluids also broken down you are also looking at accelerated wear of radiator, water pump, gearbox/dif etc).
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Adam_E » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 pm

teK-- wrote:Third service was due August 2009, so it is now 14 months late (the engine oil has been in there since Feb 2009 which is going on 20 months ago!).

Ugh, yes, clearly it's too late at night for me to be doing mental arithmetic!!

I might take a kit with me and see if they'll hold the car until the results come back (unless there is anywhere in Sydney that will test on-the-spot??)
Unless, of course, they have obviously dropped the oil before putting it on display, as Viper said.

The Sean wrote:On the oil consumption thing, didn't they get on top (or get rid) of that issue with the facelift models (i.e. I thought it was the pre-facelift 3 litre engines that had the drinking problem)

That would be useful to know ...
Adam_E

Postby teK-- » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Adam_E wrote:I might take a kit with me and see if they'll hold the car until the results come back (unless there is anywhere in Sydney that will test on-the-spot??)
Unless, of course, they have obviously dropped the oil before putting it on display, as Viper said.

Check the dipstick. If it's coal black it's probably the 20 month old oil so put a deposit down and do the UOA it takes a few days for the lab to send results back. If it's still clear then they've changed it in which case buyer beware!
teK--
-stickered-

Postby zoidberg99 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:07 am

Hey dude,

Check the tyres, see if they are all the same or if they have replaced two and have half and half). I shouldnt think it would need new tyres just yet, but something to keep an eye out for (different rolling diameters of tyres is bad for the diff)

On Slow cornering, make sure its at full lock, listen for knocks from Diff/GB
zoidberg99
-stickered-

Car: 2005 MY06 3.0R-B

Postby Adam_E » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:57 am

Hey all,

Thanks for the informative suggestions and ideas - all good :)

I think the UOA will be the way to go.
Tyre checks are on my mental check-list ...

I have just spoken to Subaru. No issues reported or warranty claims.They did tell me that the car is actually a MY08 and was originally sold with the extended 5-year Subaru factory warranty. They assured me that the warranty is transferable to me and expires in December 2012. Nice bonus 8)

Of course, if the failure of any warrantable items is attributable to the servicing, I may be stuffed :oops:

Stay tuned ...
Adam_E

Postby teK-- » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:13 pm

You'll have to check the fine print, but I know with most extended warranties you have to keep servicing with the dealer who sold the car/issued the warranty. I.e. the profit from you servicing with them subsidises the warranty premium which they pay.

Also if scheduled services have been missed, then the extended warranty is cancelled. Some extended warranties have their own required servicing schedule (which may be more frequent than the factory schedules). As for the NVW, if a part fails directly resulting from lack of maintenance then yes they have the right to refuse a claim, but it it is not servicing related then no it doesn't matter.

p.s. check the fine print ;)
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Tank » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:23 am

personally i would be walking away just on the servicing issues
Tank

Car: MY09 Liberty 3.0R B-spec 6MT

Postby BUDDAH » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Wow a 08 with 20000k and had 2 serviced sounds like a great find as long as the $$ are ok don't worry about the bullshit of servicing a car due to time it's all crap and only in the favor of the service center .Oil don't go off due to time . Good luck with you purchase if you go ahead
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific