Big end bearing questions

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Big end bearing questions

Postby KWICKS » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:11 am

Hi All,

I may have been a member here a few years back but have "rejoined" today after browsing for the past few years. I am in the position of waiting to hear if I've done my 2nd big end bearing. The deja vu is strong. My car has always used oil rapidly and without a pattern and it may have been a starvation issue (but it only took 1L to mid dipstick mark) or I may just be jinxed. It was 7000kms since last service, total 147000kms on the ODO. Car has had a new engine at 19000kms, so this one is 128000kms old. Servicing is as per the book, and I've had nothing but support from Subaru via local dealer in the past. But I'm not holding my breath this time.

The clicking is BAD.

I think a new short motor from FHI is $7000 before labour and gasket kits, etc, or so I was told in 2006.

I want to know if anyone has links to an EZ30R for sale, or if anyone has had experience in swapping a 2.5T into these. I think the 2.5T is more robust (my experience says so) and performance is similar stock. I also expect there is more of these available, but I doubt they would bolt straight in.

Any help appreciated. I shall know more Monday.
KWICKS

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B

Postby matt_3.0rb » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 pm

matt_3.0rb
-stickered-

Car: '05 3.0R-b wagon 6MT

Postby KWICKS » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks, I saw those on Ebay. I'm Sydney based so not ideal, but might be a option.
KWICKS

Postby Dropz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:29 pm

My 2005 2.5i N/A short block quote from work was $3,600.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby teK-- » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:40 pm

kiks wrote:... remember to get the 3.0 h6 filter (outback/liberty/tribecca) as its significantly larger than the 4cyl subaru filters. Forget the number.

Good tip I'll remember this for next time thanks.

Just looked up in the workshop manual, H6 filter has about 60% more filter media surface area compared to H4 and the filter body is a larger diameter (65 versus 80mm). It'll be a tight fit. As it is I can hardly get my hand in there to tighten up the H4 filter without getting my hands cut up by the header heat shields :).

Isn't it now going to be even closer to the exhaust and absorb more heat?

The H6 bypass valve doesn't open up until about 0.5psi higher than the H4 which I gather would be insignificant?

Edit: Subaru reduced the size because of heatsoak from the exhaust headers. So in other words, don't fit the H6 filter into your H4 unless you like cooking your oil at idle.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Looks like the 2009+ Mazda RX8 filter is pretty much identical thread, face, diameter, relieve valve setting as our H4 filters, but much longer so more filter media area:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... l?t=147113

I'm going to have to check the vertical clearance first since I'm running a filter sandwich plate which might then bring the filter close to the undertray...
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Dropz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Cut the undertray ;) Or use a H6 filter like I do.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby KWICKS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:38 am

Update, a second hand EZ30R was $2950 from a wrecker. It required transfer of some plumbing from existing engine. It had 53000kms on it from a car that was immaculate ("even the carpets were spotless mate") before it was destroyed...

Looking over the former engine which has come out we see several wear problems. The big end bearing is stuffed (disintegrating) obviously, and the hydraulic lifters were also damaged. And I was surprised to find out the coil packs are ALL arcing. Plus the bearing in the clutch assembly was also noisy.

EDIT: In case that is not clear this is from the dead engine,not the one I bought. The bought one will have flushed injectors and that is all it neded.

I'm thinking this product is not "all that", Mr Subaru.
KWICKS

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific