what intake are you boys got on the 3.0R-B?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: what intake are you boys got on the 3.0R-B?

Postby Kekotic » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:47 am

So anyone willing to weigh in on the pro/con's of removing that big ass chamber? Would you lose a bit of throttle response because there isn't a big section of air ready to be used when you want to put your foot down, or does it not work in that way?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Tex 3.0R-B » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Wow that stainless intake looks great!
Is is just 2 90degree bends welde together then a straight section and a 45 bend to the AFM ?
If so that should be easy to build in silicone, just a few bends, joiners and some straight stainless. All avilable form any Auto store.
What is the diameter of the tubes? I might have a go at building a set up over the next week.

Cheers
Dan
Tex 3.0R-B

Car: 04 Liberty Wagon

Postby Brad88 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:57 am

Yep it is as easy a that I just welded mine because personally I think it looks awesome, and it's all 3" piping and fits straight on to the throttle body and airbox if you want to keep the stock cover on you have to cut the bit that hangs down in the back drivers side of the cover and hold the cover on with cable ties.

Also there is a breather on the passenger side that you will need to do something with I just but one of those little breather filter things on mine and it goes fine.

chaotic2050 wrote:So anyone willing to weigh in on the pro/con's of removing that big ass chamber? Would you lose a bit of throttle response because there isn't a big section of air ready to be used when you want to put your foot down, or does it not work in that way?

Like I said before i don't have any dyno figures but I think it has alot more power and I think the response has hitting a lil better if not the same but the sound and the power!!!!! :):)
Brad88

Car: 2007 3.0r SpecB Liberty 6MT

Postby Statts » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:37 am

Got me keen to build one of these myself now.

You'd be a 100% top bloke if you decided to lend it to those trying to organise the group buy for a silicon intake.
MY06 3.0R-B
Cusco bars & links, AVO mounts, JSpeed LCA bushes
Prova intake, HKS resonator trumpet, HKS panel filter
E85 KiDo tuned
Statts

Car: 05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14975

Postby Jed3.0rb » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:23 pm

any chance of you doing a walkthrough build of it.
so the not so mechanically gifted like myself can have a crack??
cheers
Stock as a Rock Silver 2005 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec. B Sedan
Jed3.0rb

Car: 2005 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec. B

Postby Brad88 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:11 pm

i ended up exhaust wrapping mine, it made a huge difference for power again.:)

ill write something up for you guys, i don't have any pics of the precess only the completed item.
Brad88

Postby Brad88 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Brad88

Postby Tradewind » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:34 pm

If people are interested in intakes like this - Raptor can make them for you with integral airflow meter mount, breather connection etc

We would also include mounts for the engine cover so it can be fastened down correctly at the rear like stock. We already have the templates for these since they are part of the supercharger kit.

Absolutely no effort for us to make a run of them

We could do one and work out the cost and then do a small run of them

PM me if you like the idea
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby Kekotic » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Tradewind, I like the idea....
but for post facelift Spec.B's we have the fog light honeycomb style which has a cutout on the drivers side that allows air in.
I am going to get the rest of the honeycomb holes cut out from PHAT GT, but I'm wondering can you guys craft a full on proper secondary intake for that foglight section that will go up in to the stock resonator bottle hole of the airbox?
I can guarantee you there will be a lot of people who would buy this mod. I envision it as being like a plastic enclosure (almost like a square with one side having no wall) that connects to the rear of the bumper at that foglight section, that is big enough to grab all of the air, and then it funnels in and connects to the airbox. In black plastic similar to the stock air intake guide this would be great, as it doesn't need to be in Silicon or anything like that as it's well away from any heat of the engine.

Just a thought....that I would be willing to pay money for :D

Edit: I guess I should mention I'm a turbo not a 3.0, but still.....Even the 6 cylinder post facelift boys would love this mod, and I'm happy to help out with measurements and what not if you cannot find a car (I'm in Vic)
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Brad88 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Putting a pipe from the airbox to the foglight makes a fair bit of dieerence, I made one of my own but I didn't cut any of the honeycomb holes cut out I just hooked mine up to the ones that are already cut.
Brad88

Postby Cassius » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:06 am

So since you removed the throttle body, you have not noticed any adverse effects?

Do you notice that you go through the revs faster, especially between 2000-5000 rpm :D ?

Have you considered getting the stainless steel throttle body that a JP after market company makes (can't remember the name at the moment)?

I have attached an image of the one that I have.
Attachments
Picture 164.jpg
Picture 164.jpg (255.3 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
Cassius

Car: 3.0R spec B 6MT

Postby Robbks » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:28 am

is that actually a HKS pipe?
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby I Wish » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:31 am

I think you are talking about the Kakimoto item that replaces the oem box before the TB.

What I would be doing with your pipe is to wrap it with Heat reflective Thermal Tape (DEI Cool tape).

I would not use the exhaust wrap that Brad used on his. The difference is that the exhaust wrap keeps the heat in and the Thermal reflective tape prevents heatsoak.

After my limited time with the Raptor s/c. Gino and I experimented with the DEi cool tape and found that it was very effective in reducing heat soak.
I Wish

Postby Cassius » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:46 am

Robbks wrote:is that actually a HKS pipe?

Yeah, HKS sells a kit for the 3RB, but I got the pipe from importmonster and was using an Apexi panel filter.
Cassius

Postby Cassius » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:50 am

I Wish wrote:I think you are talking about the Kakimoto item that replaces the oem box before the TB.

What I would be doing with your pipe is to wrap it with Heat reflective Thermal Tape (DEI Cool tape).

I would not use the exhaust wrap that Brad used on his. The difference is that the exhaust wrap keeps the heat in and the Thermal reflective tape prevents heatsoak.

After my limited time with the Raptor s/c. Gino and I experimented with the DEi cool tape and found that it was very effective in reducing heat soak.

Yup thats the name of the company. Where can I get some of this tape, cause that pipe gets very hot even when I am not lead footed.
Cassius

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific