My H6 transformed

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: My H6 transformed

Postby Robbks » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:50 pm

bass_straitener wrote:Interesting Rob that you've extracted all the comments of people who've proclaimed their satisfaction with their Kido tune.

Some of these very same members have PMed me advising me that they think their cars are either pinging or they've got unexplained noises since the tune. Most complaints have been during hot weather only.

<GB> wrote:there have been other h6's but they need to grow balls and give feed back....

This.

Like i said, Good on alexei for fronting up and explaining the issues
I bet my stock tune looks worse than the ones posted.

but I know first hand how badly mechanical noises can affect Subaru knock sensors
so much that i don;t believe a thing they say unless you have a set of proper knock-ears on them to back them up.

my old TT Legacy used to surge a carry on to no end and was just doughy to drive.
located the knock sensor, pulled it out and saw the hairline crack down it, swapped it for another one and voilla. perfect boosting again>
Now this was on an engine that had done 40,000km and a dunger old 97 ECU who's knock control was less than adequate, but it was still there.
fubar'd sensor.
the old Libs and WRX's with HLA's had to have the sensors moved and de-sensitised with rubber washers as the HLA's would tick and set off the knock sensor.

that's the other major reason why i haven;t done an e-tune.
It will be tuned with a pair of WBo2's in each header BEFORE the CAT's and a set of knock ears strapped to the donk.
I don;t trust 130,000km old sensors
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Tradewind wrote:
Logs when taken are forwarded to tuner for interpretation and subsequent tune update/s

Good job mate :) and have you checked the logs yourself to see it theyre clean?

As for matt only tuning well for advertising. ...I have to disagree. Matt's a very helpful guy and appears to me to do his best everytime. It's the fact that while I was having problems, I never knew when matt was going to get back to me. Same day, two days later or forget about me completely. Compared to my current tuner's avg response time of 1hr to 2hrs tops, with updated tune revisions done in that time, much more realistic and correct explanations and diagnosis (no blaming canberrian altitude, or humidity etc) and altogether less mistakes and no constant boost spikes - I couldn't stick with matt even if I tried! Matt is a nice bloke and an ok tuner (a good tuner who is too busy to support his customers properly = not a v good tuner in my books), BUT eric from torqued performance is a legend and a machine :) ask anyone.
Last edited by alexeiwoody on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Kekotic » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Alexei you have summed up Matt fairly well there in my opinion.

As for Eric from TP I don't understand why you guys do not promote him more on the forum for people looking for a tune, by all accounts I have heard he is great. I would definitely give him a shot if I was unhappy with my current tune, but I am quite happy :D
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby <GB> » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:19 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Alexei you have summed up Matt fairly well there in my opinion.

As for Eric from TP I don't understand why you guys do not promote him more on the forum for people looking for a tune, by all accounts I have heard he is great. I would definitely give him a shot if I was unhappy with my current tune, but I am quite happy :D

Why not give him a run to see if he can do a better job? he's pretty cheap
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby Kekotic » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:21 pm

<GB> wrote:
chaotic2050 wrote:Alexei you have summed up Matt fairly well there in my opinion.

Why not give him a run to see if he can do a better job? he's pretty cheap

Because it's not going to be more power and I am happy with my tune so why bother? Why don't you get a tune from him?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby Tradewind » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Exceptional post in my opinion - option put forward.
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:27 pm

I'd love to advertise eric, but tuning with him requires knowing how to log and to have a tactrix cable. Most guys ive seen get a kido tune dont have either the knowledge or the cable. It's a shame - 20 mins of reading and 170 bucks for cable and you're set. A tune with eric costs $120ish.

Im etuning with eric, until new turbo, fuel system and whatever else goes onto the car then going to either cihan or msr for a final dyno tune. :D

If you get tuned - learn to log.

Robbks awesome points. And the correct and essential dyno set up for a good tune. Why would we expect the rest of the members to have only a road tune, no wb oxygen sensors, only stock knock sensor... and say thats safe...I dont know. I think we all agree that a dyno and more personal research on romraider.com is a must.

Argghhhh im so angry right nowwwww :angry2:

:lol:
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Kekotic » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:29 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Argghhhh im so angry right nowwwww :angry2:

It's because you are European
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Tradewind wrote:

Unfortunately, Eric doesn't tune the H6. He has been contacted by members looking for an alternative.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby Kekotic » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 pm

bass_straitener wrote:
Tradewind wrote:

Unfortunately, Eric doesn't tune the H6. He has been contacted by members looking for an alternative.

Any reason why not? Surely it's the same sort of ECU logic?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby Tradewind » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Never seen forum so active in months. Thought the place had been deserted
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby <GB> » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:50 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:
Because it's not going to be more power and I am happy with my tune so why bother? Why don't you get a tune from him?

Ive been talking to bruce about it, or maybe msr
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:04 pm

More info sharing and how-to's are good :-)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

My H6 transformed

Postby HoFF » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:23 pm

Well after changing my AF sensors my fuel consumption has dropped again and my tune feels as strong as ever.
HoFF
-stickered-

Car: MY06 3RB Liberty Wagon 6MT MY09 Foz
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13577&start=255

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:13 pm

bass_straitener wrote:But when Learning Views look like the two pics attached and the owners go back to Matt to receive a response they can't understand, unfortunately they PM me. I could be like a few other guys with knowledge and simply refer them back to their tuner but instead I try and explain what's being said. And when subsequent revisions don't fix the pinging well I'd hardly call the individual a "H6 master"

First Learning View is still healthier than the pre tune LV... was not expecting the D range to become so red.
Learning View of 2nd car with a CEL light for a catyltic converter fault putting it into limp mode gets an IAM drop? Of course it was present... the throttle went back to 1:1 ratio yet if you check it now there is no IAM drop or knock but that does not sell anti-Matt memorabiblia ;) You offered to check a fault code which is no longer present(and not turned off either!) not come to a conclusion on the tune yet you were the first one to post it up... interesting thing about that ECU, I only got around to digging out the Advance Multiplier Start point, so the 4 or 5 people who have that ECU have had an IAM of 0.5 after a flash, which learns straight up to 1.00 within the first 5 minutes of driving :)
ECU logic dictates that if the knock sensor goes off from just off idle to full throttle, the ECU determines if it has occured near a combustion event then timing is pulled.

You are claiming it is 'pinging' but when you dump in fuel, retard timing and the noise is still present, you have to suspect mechanical. Oddly enough, in stock form since the IAM being close to 0 pulls a significant amount of timing at low rpm, it is no surprise the H6 falls flat on its face below 3200rpm and fuel economy suffers.

Learning View_SS_D2WD603H_2012-07-09 09 17 27.jpg
Learning View_SS_D2WD603H_2012-07-09 09 17 27.jpg (90.56 KiB) Viewed 3417 times

This was a dyno tuned H6 I retuned in July last year... even an ECU reset to test out its power output 'as dyno tuned' had me wondering where the torque went yet it still rattled at 2500rpm and 4400rpm. Coincidence?
Before you retort, the green plugs were connected and the CEL codes are from the green plugs, it would not alter LV :)

<GB> wrote:
Tradewind wrote:Yes and yes
Logs when taken are forwarded to tuner for interpretation and subsequent tune update/s

sounds like he tuned yours good for the advertising

I sent him a base tune as a comparison to existing tunes... no more, no less. No issues with pinging/heatsoak in far north Qld weather :shock:
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific