launching the 3rb

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: launching the 3rb

Postby Gambit » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm

i cant comment on launching the 3Rb, but with the GT, i usually dial in about 4.5-5k rpm, anything lower and it seems to bog down, however anything higher and i'm smoking all fours with no traction. There is a sweet spot and if i nail that then i light up all four but it hooks and slingshots away. Good feeling that, but its tricky to nail ;)
Gambit

Car: Subaru

Postby Robbks » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:51 pm

I've found that about 4000rpm and just enough clutch slip is the fastest way to get the 3RB moving,
as for turbo varieties with manual trans, i was told this procedure and it always worked a treat

-handbrake on, with button held in
-clutch in
-dial up your desired rpm
(this next bit is done quickly so as not to root the clutch)
-release the clutch just a little to take up the slack in the drivetrain
-maintain desired rpm with more throttle, and the car should actually be building up positive boost pressure
-simultaneously release the clutch, drop the handbrake and give it WOT.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Doyab » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 pm

wow.... thats gives alot to think about and play with. looks like ill have to have a go at a few of these suggestions. thanks alot for all ur replies.
Doyab

Car: 2005 3.0RB

Postby The Sean » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:54 am

Have fun mate!

Just don't forget, the harder you play, the more you pay so go easy and keep in mind you are wearing and tearing more than normal and sedate launches. You may break into tears when you find out how much replacement parts / labour is for this model.
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean

Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)

Postby Jim » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:18 pm

Lol .. cool thread. I do it exactly as Rob described, except i get a tad nervous when im having a traffic light gran prix and my clutch leg gets jittery (like how your leg jiggles when sitting on the loo, come on we've all done it) and lose a bit of clutch control. Problem with the GT is the standard clutch is a bit soft so if you muck up the launch it will stiiiiiiiiiink, however the 6spd is more than up to it. I wouldnt be too worried about breaking stuff, the 6spd gear is very tough. A club member from over at RSLC had a H6 turbo pumping nearly 400kwatw and he tried to be silly with a launch and actually snapped the weakest poing in the tailshaft, gearbox was fine :)

I scored a line up one night with 2 modified WRX's either side of me revving and wanting a play and nerves aside, by god, i did THE best launch i have ever done between all 3 of my previous Subarus. Those backwards cap wearing punks disappeared very quickly. I had a good laugh, it was very reminiscent of a man in a buisness suit getting the jump on some junkies after his wallet.
Jim

Car: MY07 GT-B

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific