N/A Power

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

N/A Power

Postby Jed3.0rb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Alright so I'm gonna get destroyed on here for this I believe.
But here goes anyway :) haha
I'm looking at getting more power from my beloved 3.0R spec. B

I'm looking at anything to get more power BTW :)

So I put this out to you engine savvy blokes to suggest and help me in this power quest

1. Would more aggressive cams get me a lot more power? How would i do this while keeping both the variable timing and lift?
2. Port and Polish? Would it really help?
3. CAI? Has anyone done one yet? I know Wooduck has a short ram intake, can anyone verify his increases power?
4. What else should i be looking into?

and I'm well aware of the astronomical costs I face in the future when the time comes for me to actually do this. But I figured I should start researching now as it's gonna take a while for me to make up my mind on each upgrade hahaha

Thanks
Stock as a Rock Silver 2005 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec. B Sedan
Jed3.0rb

Car: 2005 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec. B

Re: N/A Power

Postby Robbks » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:06 pm

there is nothing muchthat's cost effective to make massive power gains, except for fiting a raptor supercharger kit

head-work, not worth it
new cams, not worth it

CAI, look in the 3.0 engine section for resonator removal and take a look at a couple of the custom intakes that are there.

now you CAN make gains in power delivery/ throttle response with a small increase in peak power and torque, BUT all round better drivability
easiest ways to achieve this are

1) Exhaust, rip out the restrictive CAT converters (x3) replace the front two (one in each exhaust runner) with high-flow versions and delete the rearmost one all together.
this will just help it breathe easier, but keeping emissions under control
2) ECU tune, re-mapping the ECU to suit 98RON fuel, tweak the AVCS and DBW throttle systems will give you gains in drivability, economy and a little more power
3) intake, this can be improved on slightly by using large bore, smooth walled piping

anything else is really just pissing money away.

^^ up there the the plan for my car
i've only had part of teh exhaust modified so far, the rest will come once funds are available
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Jed3.0rb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Bummmerrr.
How do all the vtec boys pump out ridiculous numbers out of two kitted then?
I'm not very engine educated sorry haha
But yeah I'll definitely be doing the resonator removal and exhaust first up :)
Jed3.0rb

Postby Jed3.0rb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Bummmerrr.
How do all the vtec boys pump out ridiculous numbers out of two kitted then?
I'm not very engine educated sorry haha
But yeah I'll definitely be doing the resonator removal and exhaust first up :)

Oh and also forged internals and lighted crankshaft and stuff. Would it help at all.
Jed3.0rb

Postby bates91 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:20 pm

because VTEC

don't question it
:lol:
:D
with regards to internals, i dont know much but i can safely bet it would only make a worthwhile difference if you were doing it in conjunction with a serious supercharger or twin-turbo kit
as Robbks said, youd effectively be pissing away money on anything else apart from tune + exhaust
trade up to a GT spec B and start the engine modding process from there
bates91
-stickered-

Car: BMW 135i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15799

Postby MrPotatoHead » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:52 pm

stock injectors haven't really got that much more to give either. I think they'd max out at about 175kw atw. I think one of the cars edward worked on software dyno's at around 170kw atw (after tune) with exhaust and intake work (might have replaced injectors too). Thats about +20-30kw on stock, but I doubt you'd get much more without boost.
MrPotatoHead

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B 2004 6MT

Postby Jed3.0rb » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Damn. That's not fun to hear. Looks like I'll be hewing down the bullit path in the ensuing years hahaha
6 bangers top 4 bangers for me any day of the week. Sorry gt boys haha
Just love that Porsche note and the refinement of 6 cylinders :)
On the question of cams - how much would I be looking at for some good quality and reliable ones?
Has anyone had power gains with the xforce catback?
I would obviously be removing the third cats and replacing the front two. What cats are good etc.?

Sorry for my noobness guys
Jed3.0rb

Postby Dropz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Bottom end work (pistons etc) will not give a power increase, if you do hit big numbers then it will be worth it to strengthen the bottom end. It may be worth looking into seeing if you can stroke it out a bit.

Head work is effective, however costly as stated. Cams, injectors, port matching would all be effective.

But definitely get a tune and exhaust first.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby Jed3.0rb » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:29 pm

Yeah true true.
Exhaust and tune sound like a good start for me :)
Jed3.0rb

Postby RAN94A » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:41 pm

unless you have a spare 20k+ i wouldnt be going down the bullit route...

raptor supercharger... search it on this forum. Best bang for your buck mod for power on the 3.0
RAN94A

Car: Liberty MY06 3.0R

Postby MH3.0R » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:30 am

Jed (?),

So, another 3.0R owner has got the engine mod bug! Well, you won't be the last either.

I started with the tune. Basic tune focused on 98RON fuel. There are more things that can be done, but I like to do incremental stuff so I can see the bang for buck (bfb). The basic tune (with an injector power flush) resulted in 10% gains in both power (kw) and torque (nm) across the rev range at the wheels (atw). On the dyno at STI (and every dyno is different) mine recorded 116 kw atw and after the tune, 128 kw atw. It is only an auto. For the Spec B 6sp manual, usually see around 14o kw atw.

Next was the rear mufflers. More for aesthetics than performance (I like the look of quad tips, and I love the sound of wide open throttle (wot). I also took it back for another dyno at STI (important to keep using the same dyno for comparisons) and resulted in another 3 kw atw. Not sure what the full exhaust mod achieves (2 x front CATs, removal of 3rd CAT), but did not go that route. The global knowledge is that the size of the exhaust pipe diameter is critical if you do not want to create torque holes at lower revs. Check the other threads on this topic (The search function of this forum is very, very useful, hint, hint :derisive: ).

So, the tune was the best bfb and the quad tips, well I would have done them any way.

There are other areas to focus on for the tune, Drive By Wire (DBW) which impacts what the engine does when you use the accelerator pedal, and AVCS, but the time and costs need to be weighed up with the potential gains. The gains from the 3.0R in NA for are limited and if you are chasing real power gains, then as others have suggested, ultimately you will need to consider either a turbo, biturbo or supercharger. Of these, the Raptor kit seems to be cheaper bolt on solution. I have had a ride in a 3.0R with the Raptor Kit fitted and, well, it is hard to put into words, suffice to say that stock V8s would be in shock! If you do go the Raptor route, ensure you factor the Water to Air (WTA) Intercooler into your budget, along with the installation. Intake Air Temperatures (IAT) are going to be too high for a daily drive if you operate in stop start traffic conditions (my opinion at this point).

On the costs front, there is more to it than just the cost of the bits. Installation labour, and tunes also add to the budget and well, get some estimates before you embark and identify some good local area tuners that have good reputations. You might pay a little more, but you get what you pay for!

What state are you in? Recommendations will vary according to your location also.

Kind Regards,

Mark.
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MY11 Jaguar XFS 3.0DTT 6AT White Saloon (Prepped for sale)
MY19 Subaru XV 2.0iS the shopping trolley and weekend all terrain cruiser!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

Postby Jed3.0rb » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:48 am

thanks Mark. Your comments are much appreciated.
Yeah i haven't really been able to locate a tuner in brisbane that has consistent good reviews or has done anything with libs and h6 libs for that.
some people have suggested chiptorque???
but they wouldn't show me the results that they had with the 2 H6 libs they tuned which i was a bit funny :?
but yeah exhaust and some ricer cosmetics and tune are first on the list :) haha
oh, and is it possible to up the compression ratios in the EZ30, i know they're already quite high 10:1??? but i was thinking more likeupgrade to take it up to 12:1 maybe?
thoughts??

Jed
Jed3.0rb

Postby MH3.0R » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:29 am

3.0R compression is already high. In my opinion, taking it higher will restrict you to NA configuration and then finding the correct octane level fuel will be a challenge. Forget the supercharging or turbo options if you go the higher compression route. Just my opinion but others who have more experience may know better.
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MY11 Jaguar XFS 3.0DTT 6AT White Saloon (Prepped for sale)
MY19 Subaru XV 2.0iS the shopping trolley and weekend all terrain cruiser!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

Postby SegR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:23 am

Tuners in Brisbane:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=11270

Suggest you read the whole thread then ring a couple who sound decent.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific