3.0R Spec B Pre-purchase checks

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: 3.0R Spec B Pre-purchase checks

Postby Kekotic » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:48 pm

I agree about the time factor being a fair amount of bullshit for regular run of the mill services, a car that hasn't been serviced for a year and done 10,000km is going to look exactly the same as a car that has done 10,000km in 3 months.
The garage I worked at for a while had this policy that any car after 100,000km's had a recommended service interval of every 3 months, such a joke.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Adam_E » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:17 pm

Well, no sense arguing now - the car is sitting in my garage! Thanks for all the prompt advice.

It was the real deal - no question about the mileage being genuine, and the oil was indeed 19 months old (ie the dealer had not changed it just for the sale).

The oil was a healthy brown (certainly not black), and the level was sitting just above the full mark. Still good viscosity, (not overly runny and not thick or sticky) and perfectly 'fresh'-smelling. I had my trusted Subaru Service Agent on the phone (NB not a stealership, but an accredited independent), and he was not at all concerned about what I was describing to him. The coolant, ATF and other fluids also looked fine. I didn't really have time to hang around for oil analysis results, so I pulled the trigger.

After all, we have machinery on the farm that can go a couple of years without an oil change because it does limited hours. No oil analysis has ever indicated that it needs changing sooner than what the engine-hours would suggest, and it mostly does heavy-duty work whenever it is running.

The 5-year warranty is the original Subaru Australia extended warranty. I can have it serviced at any Subi service centre (ie my accredited independent). I double-checked with Subaru Australia using the VIN code, and the balance of the warranty (a whisker over 2 years) is transferable to me just like a normal 3-year warranty would be. I'll run the UOA, just so I have something to fall back on in case it ever comes to a quibble over servicing intervals.

I paid $31k (+stamp duty) for the car, and couldn't be happier. I drove it the 500+km home up the twisty, mountainous road and all I can say is f*****g wow!! No family sedan has the right to handle or perform like that!! I thought our Gen3 RX handled ok, but this thing just looked at the twisties and said 'meh, what corners?' I can hardly wait to get it serviced and take it out for a proper run :D

Oh, and the oil level did not drop perceptibly on the run home, so it doesn't seem like it had been unduly diluted with volatile elements.

Warning: Dodgy mobile-phone pics to follow:

Thanks for the help, guys :-)
Adam_E

Car: MY08 3.0RB

Postby BUDDAH » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:46 pm

Congrats you gota be happy with that and 1/2 the price of the latest turd Subaru are offereing :D
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby teK-- » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Congratulations on the buy enjoy the drive :)
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby DrivesLikeJehu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 am

Great buy ! If I'd started looking a month earlier, I'd've beaten you to it, LOL.
In my opinion, the oil issue has been real, but less so these days, and a lot smaller potential issue than most people think. Modern engines demand a higher grade oil than they used to. They're a lot more resistant to moisture absorption, thickening, etc. Put it this way, I'd rather your 20ks with 2 services, than my 50ks with the same 2 services ! And 2 services with the right oil will still give better protection than 4 services with the cheap crap oil some service centres still use.
After only 20k, the difference in wear would be almost indiscernable, if at all, pro'lly no more than the difference between a Blue mountains car driven short trips in almost freezing weather, and a mild climate car driven mostly on freeway runs. After 220,000 it might be using more oil, but not at 20k.
I'll never forget the client we had who almost never drove his Ford, but had the oil changed every 6 months, and INSISTED we take the sump off to clean it inside every time, LOL.
(Everybody has their own personal phobia, it seems).
I'm LOVING mine, but I'd trade the $3k for 30,000kms off my odo ANY day !
So: How's it going now ? how many K's you clocked up? Still loving it ?
DrivesLikeJehu

Car: FozGT(Ex)Gen4 3.0RB(gExGenV estate

Postby Adam_E » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:56 pm

DrivesLikeJehu wrote:Great buy ! If I'd started looking a month earlier, I'd've beaten you to it, LOL.
So: How's it going now ? how many K's you clocked up? Still loving it ?

Ooh, I've been a bit slack on reading posts :oops:

I'd only really started looking to buy in earnest the week that the car came up. I really think my timing was impeccable on this one :-)

It's been perfect. A few services done now, and the service agent thinks its a gem. It hasn't missed a beat - all the extra I've had to spend is a new set of tyres (OEMs).

Still loving it - about 42K km on her now. I'm worried that the km's are racking up too quickly - what will I ever be able to replace it with when the time comes??? I liked the Gen 3 that we had, but this thing is magic. I'm so glad I decided to get the 3.0R. I'm a bit over turbos (just a personal thing), and the 2.5 is a bit kinda zzzzz in comparison.

The only thing I don't like is the pseudo-manual box. It's very good as far as auto's go, but the flappy-paddles are a bit of a gimmick. It's not a true SMG (as we all know), and I knew it would be a compromise that we'd have to live with for 'domestic' reasons. It's a pain when you manually shift it too close to redline, it'll do a nanny-shift as well and you end up jumping 2 gears. Actually, I'm being a bit harsh - it's pretty handy being able to leave the selector in D and flick the paddles down a gear or two for a hill or approaching an intersection. It's smart enough to hold the gear you selected until it works out that you've finished the manoeuvre, and then moves into Drive mode again.

Overall, the punt was 100% worth it :D
Adam_E

Car: MY08 3.0RB

Postby DrivesLikeJehu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:39 am

LOL. Yes, hopefully there's some better choices around by upgrade time. I DON'T like the current crop of Toyota-clone Subys. I actually think the Gen IV B-specs and STIs are much more appealing comparatively in the $25-$40k used car market, than they presented in their new car market, but they will get too old/high-K eventually. Unless the Gen 6 Lib' gets some Subaru soul back, I'd better hope I can afford an Audi Quattro by then. In the meantime, if we have to clock up high K's quickly on a car, why not enjoy every one of them ? Thats maximum value for your dollar :) . I decided the paddle-shift was a gimmick before I bought, but I'm embarassed to admit, the more I drive, the more I love it :). (Maybe you should've bought the manual, but I'm hoping I'm growing up a bit. I've finally stopped missing the third pedal) . The STI pinks have made a huge difference. My shortest ever Car shopping list still reads: rear swaybar, front LCA caster bushes, front grille, tidy up the rim gutter rash, then I'm DONE 'til the brakes wear out and qualify for an upgrade :) .
DrivesLikeJehu

Car: FozGT(Ex)Gen4 3.0RB(gExGenV estate

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific