Do our cars have security tag?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Do our cars have security tag?

Postby vp920b » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:54 am

Hi all,

Just wondering, do libs 2004 had a security tag? Because I just left my car at Subaru Doncaster to reprogram my spare keys since it won't start the engine and they like to have a security tag.

Cheers

Naldo
vp920b

Car: 1992 Liberty RS

Re: Do our cars have security tag?

Postby nytrojen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:10 am

vp920b wrote:Hi all,

Just wondering, do libs 2004 had a security tag? Because I just left my car at Subaru Doncaster to reprogram my spare keys since it won't start the engine and they like to have a security tag.

Cheers

Naldo

Yeah. You should have got it with your set of keys when you bought the car. It's a little metal strip thingy with a few digits stamped on it.
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby swingn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:46 am

Generally the security tag comes on your spare set of keys... They should be able to re-key your car with no dramas without it, but it may take them a little bit longer.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby steve_m » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:03 pm

ahhhh is that what that is! I thought it was something to do with the aftermarket alarm that mine had installed before i bought it...
My06 Liberty Tuned by STi
steve_m

Postby vp920b » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:45 pm

No, it's not about aftermarket security alarm.

Mine got someone car key, so my spare key actually not my car key but because the remote to open and lock the car was separate with the module inside the key.

To order the new key, there is 2 tags that come with the car. One is the small tag stainless steel, and one is the security code tag(and I don't have the security code tag)

So I just book a new key, sent from Sydney. Costs me another 500 bucks.

My spend for this car:
1. Timing belt kit: 1000
2. Radiator fan and AC fan+thermostat: 1100
3. Regular service+brake pads+machining brakes: 450
4. AC service and changing battery terminal: 160
5. Wheel bearings: 500
6. CV joints: 150-Recondition(new subaru 900)
7. Bushing(pedders): 150-200(forgot the exact price)
8. Wheel allignment: 70
9. Wheels & Tyres: 500
10. New keys: 500

Grand total: 4400-4500ish...

I just feel disappointed with my Subaru. First time owned a subaru but I think it will be the last time to own subaru.

Spend too much money on this car but I need to use it for the next 3 years.

Next to come would be clutch in around 100,000K's.

If I know this would happened, then I just buy the 3L liberty from here.

Sadly everything already happened, and I need to use this car for 3 years. My parents already mad at me.

Thanks
vp920b

Postby nytrojen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:02 pm

$4500?!?!??! Good god... you got a LOT of work done on your car.... was all of it really necessary?
Though a quick calculator pass is showing a grand total of $5130...

Also... I thought the timing belt only needed changing at the 100k service?
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby Jimmy S » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:10 pm

I think you need to find a new mechanic... some seriously expensive repairs/maintenance there... :shock:
Current Ride: 2007 Audi RS4

http://www.ToonMyRide.com.au
Jimmy S

Car: Audi RS4

Postby vp920b » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm

I don't know how that Afganistan guy that I bought it from can get RWC.

Grand total of 4580AUD, and still my car got dent, scratch that need to be repaired.

I won't come back to my autie boyfriend recommended workshop. That workshop just playing me with the price. Timing belt kit is actually around 300-400ish.

My friend at pedders can do that thing and fan and do oil change etc.

My timing belt already loose and there is a scratch in the belt and in the bearings. My fan doesn't work in idle(1 month ago my car was overheating in idle). CV joints was twisted and leaking on left front wheels(weird, never do burnouts etc). Bushes, already crack and play too much.

That's why I just hate it. Won't buy subaru next time. Parts too expensive.
vp920b

Postby Hotwire » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Wow - sounds like you bought a bit of a lemon there Naldo AND you have been ripped off for the repairs :(

I dont think its that parts are overly expensive, its just you have been charged ridiculously high for them....
|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
|MY09 MkV Volkswagen GTi| | DSG | Leather | Sunroof | 18% Tint | Mine! |
Hotwire

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Premium

Postby nytrojen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:34 pm

I think ANY car would be quite expensive to repair with a list that long... It sounds like you just had a bit of bad luck with your choice. Did you get it RACV inspected before you bought it?
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby vp920b » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:38 pm

For the parts that I know it's not really expensive was:

1. Timing belt- should be around 300-400ish for the kit, the workshop charge me 600ish with install around 300-400 dollar
2. Fan- I think it should be around 600-700, but he charge me for everything with install 1100 dollar(should buy recondition if I know about this)
3. CV joints, OEM subaru around 900, I bought for 150, really massive difference since I only change the inner part, not the whole CV joints
4. Changing oils, machining brake disc and brake pads- acceptable, but next time for oil service I make it only 100 dollar

That's what I know. The AC service was useless, because it was the fan that makes the car not cold enough but I also need de-gas only.

Thanks
vp920b

Postby vp920b » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:43 pm

nytrojen wrote:I think ANY car would be quite expensive to repair with a list that long... It sounds like you just had a bit of bad luck with your choice. Did you get it RACV inspected before you bought it?

I use Repco vehicle inspection. Before I buy, I check it, they said no problem with the car. CV joints was twisted after I bought the car, and it was known 2 weeks ago when I changed my bushes on pedders. Now it's done, no problem with that.

All was checked, but I think timing belt they don't check and fan and AC.

If I know it would be like this, I just let this car bought buy someone from sydney(before I gave deposit, they tell me someone want to buy from Sydney and they want the money straight away) or wait for RACV vehicle inspection. F*cking S*it for the seller and RWC workshop...
vp920b

Postby teK-- » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Hey Naldo I'm sorry to hear you have had so much trouble. I'm quite sure it's not representative of Subaru's product though, but more that you had some four owners before you, who have treated the car questionably. Also you have mentioned many times you have doubts about your mechanic or various service centers so that plays a part too.

Hope that given the amount you spend that it gives you trouble free driving for at least the next 3 years though :cry:
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby vp920b » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks Jim..

Well, since the first 2 years was owned by some company, I think the key was swapped to another car company...

I hope it will be OK until the next 3 years and only do some regular maintenance.

Next week I will go to Adelaide. I will bring the car. I hope it will be trouble free.

Btw, Thanks all for your help. I really appreciate it. I just learned that "cheap" price tag will affect the car.
vp920b

Postby nytrojen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 pm

I suppose you get what you paid for... I'm less concerned now that I paid a wee bit extra for my particular car, as it seems to be mechanically A1 (touch wood). The previous owner looked after it well... just had no idea how to wash it without getting the paint scratched :(
nytrojen
-stickered-

Next

Return to 2.5i engine specific