MY04 4sp Auto Concerns

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

MY04 4sp Auto Concerns

Postby jarno_au » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:20 am

I've done 20k in this premium wagon in 5 months and find it spends so much time in second with often harsh shifts up and down, that I wonder about the reliability of the box after time.
The thing literally flings itself into second, often. not just when cold either.
I've replaced the fluid and a filter. Are these things reliable in the long run? Is the shift timing programmable? Anything to do or watch for? I bought it for and do, give it a bit, that's what it's for, right!
Did 220k in an MY00 4spd, that despite being a slow shifter and bad kick down, shifted far smoother than this.
If ever an engine cried to have a 5spd, this would be it, but despite Sub having one, never fitted it.
Maybe I made the wrong choice buying this car especially as a long term'er.
MY04 2.5i Premium Auto Wagon Black
jarno_au

Re: MY04 4sp Auto Concerns

Postby wassell2381 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:31 pm

hey mate
Im having the same prob with my 04 safety pack. It doesn't wanna ever change out of 2nd gear and when it does it jolts. Ive been to Subaru with mine a couple of times and they just said 'cant help ya mate'(How help full ). These cars are supposed to adapt to the way they're driven and be the most efficient in doing so although when they just aren't very smooth. The only thing i could suggest is to get the ECU reset and start again.

cheers
Dan
Current:
... TBC
Sold:
MY09 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
MY10 BMW 320d LCI
MY09 Impreza RS Hatch
MY04 Liberty Safety Pack Sedan
wassell2381
-stickered-

Car: Nil

Postby jarno_au » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 pm

So it looks like this is maybe the norm, so my question still is, what happens in the long run?
I suppose most active members here are GT turbo manual types and younger'ish and don't do or intend doing 100-200k in their sled's, so can't comment on where we are at, but I really do sit there and think, shite is this right and how long does this last before summin blows out. I mean, every day I think, this can;t last too long before some cogs need mending and wonder how long it will take.
So the question is (and maybe this should be in members only section) what is cut off date on these auto's, seeing as how Fuji HI Subaru Aus won't say nuthin until it hits the fan?
jarno_au

Postby marki » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:44 pm

This 'box is overgeared and underpowered. From a standing start in traffic, it struggles to find the right gear & feels like your towing a caravan. Im over my liberty...
marki

Car: 03 MY04 2.5i

Postby jarno_au » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:10 pm

But has anybody heard of one going bang crunch yet?
jarno_au

Return to 2.5i engine specific