Cruise control problems in Gen3

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Cruise control problems in Gen3

Postby anderman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:50 pm

Hey guys. I got a Gen 3 1999 liberty manual rx wagon recently and I have a problem with the cruse control. I cant get it to work. I know how you activate the system. but when you pull the lever down to engage the cruse control, it does nothing.. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any ideas as to weither it might be an electronic thing or something mechanical.
thanks for any help
cheers
anderman

Car: 1999 Liberty RX Man Wagon

Re: Cruise control problems in Gen3

Postby Ric » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:59 pm

I'm not sure how similar Gen 3 is to Gen IV.
Does the "Cruise" light come on as soon as you turn it on? It should. Then the "Set" light comes on when you press the lever down.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby smythie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:02 pm

how fast are you travelling when you are trying to set cruise? I know the Gen IV's won't "set" below 40km/h
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby anderman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:01 am

ah well iv tried it at 100km/h plus various other speeds and it still hasnt worked.
When you press the cruise control button the light comes on. but the level wont activate :/
anderman

Car: 1999 Liberty RX Man Wagon

Postby teK-- » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:36 am

Check the brake light switch (at the pedal). It may need adjustment and is prematurely sending a signal to the control module to cancel the cruise setting (even before you've set a speed). One way to check temporarily is to get your foot under the brake pedal and pull it upwards before you set your cruise speed.

Failing that you may need to do some basic circuit continuity tests on the cruise control stalk and harness (need workshop manual to know the pinouts) to ensure that it is working properly. All else fails perhaps the control unit or vacuum actuator is faulty.

I had this problem on my Magna I never got around to adjusting the brake pedal switch.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Return to 2.5i engine specific