Lowering

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Lowering

Postby damo_ » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:55 pm

Is it true that if i lower my Gen III liberty more than 30mm, i will start breaking drive shafts etc??
damo_

Car: 98' Subaru liberty heritage

Re: Lowering

Postby teK-- » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:34 pm

Not that I know of, but the angle of the tie rod ends and control arm will be totally out which means that you need to fit a roll centre adjuster kit to compensate for dropping the chassis so much.

You'll also need to fit shorter swaybar end links to correct their angles.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby damo_ » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:24 pm

OK thanks heaps mate!

Would you know how low i can go before it becomes a bit unsafe :P

I'm thinking of getting Adjustable Koni shockers, with lowered springs to my desired height :P which is gonna be around 50mm from standard!!

:dntknw: :dntknw: :dntknw:
damo_

Postby teK-- » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:59 pm

Good move with getting replacement dampers at the same time, at least you're halfway to getting it done properly :)

With a 50mm drop it's going to be very harsh as you will be sitting close to the bumpstops even with just the car's weight at standstill. If you really must go that low make sure you fit new bumpstops which are designed for lowering (they are shorter but firmer). If you keep the stock ones, they will surely disintegrate within a few 10,000s of Kms. Do NOT just cut the stock bumpstops shorter unless you want to risk killing the KONIs.

Definately need a roll centre adjuster and shorter swaybar endlinks if if you are interested at all in having decent handling (Which I assume you are because you aren't just fitting springs). Definately need camber kit (front and rear) unless you wanna chew through tyres or you want the crazy drift look.

Although your car will be unroadworthy and the handling very harsh and bottoming out regularly, it will look really sweet :D. Also at that amount of lowering the KONIs won't last anywhere near as long as if you had a modest drop of say 25mm. (You will have to dial the rebound damping to at least 3/4 but probably 1 full turn or more. From memory max adjustment is 1.5turns).
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby damo_ » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:23 pm

Yeah spot on mate.

Well leaves me with abit to think about!! :x If i was to put coil overs in i'd have to do that same wouldn't i? :blink: :blink:
damo_

Postby teK-- » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Yep but with coilovers you can at least dial them in to their lowest setting and still know that you aren't operating the damper outside of their designed travel range.
teK--
-stickered-

Postby marki » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:26 pm

I got mine compressed about 2 years ago. I would have liked it lower on the front end, but the bloke that compressed them said, if i was to ever jack the car up the springs would pop out. So unfortunatly it doesnt look as good as it should.

The tyres do require rotating, because the inner tread wears a bit quicker.

but overall ride quality UPFRONT is good, if i have a full car, i do hear passengers complaining over bumps :P
marki

Car: 03 MY04 2.5i

Postby damo_ » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:38 pm

how low did you end up dropping it in the front and back?
did you change the shocks or anything?
damo_

Postby marki » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:29 pm

Im not sure how much the springs were compressed, take a squiz at the pic ^

the lowest point of the car is 90-95mm

I havent changed the shocks
marki

Car: 03 MY04 2.5i

Postby wassell2381 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:08 am

nice job mate, it looks awesome!
Current:
... TBC
Sold:
MY09 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
MY10 BMW 320d LCI
MY09 Impreza RS Hatch
MY04 Liberty Safety Pack Sedan
wassell2381
-stickered-

Car: Nil

Postby liberty_gen2 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:16 pm

My gen2 is lowered 70mm at the back and 50 at the front and has no issues with drive shafts what so ever.. is a bumpy ride and has all other support gear to keep it safeish it is defectable but knowing its harsh its not too bad but it is way too low..

Gen2 Rx Liberty..
600k h.i.d headlights and fog lights - jap-spec corner fog light wired up - lowered 7"rear and 5"front - 18"incubus paranormal rims with kumho tyres - 2.75"exhaust catback - japspec E.C.U. along with jap-spec 2.5 forged internals and cams machined to match sti specs - lightened flywheel with sports tuff clutch - tan leather interior - 147.3 kw and 14.8 sec 1/4mile
liberty_gen2

Car: Gen2 Rx Liberty

Return to 2.5i engine specific