Need advice on engine replacement 2002 MY03 2.5L manual

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Need advice on engine replacement 2002 MY03 2.5L manual

Postby cduey100 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi new at this so forgive me if it seems I am a little thick.
Looking at buying a flooded Subaru RX Liberty 2002 MY03 2.5L Manual
This car is a repairable wright off.
Engine needs replacing but when chasing around i am getting lots of different messages as to what type of engine. (Twin cam or single cam & if single does it have have 5 bolts or 6 bolts holding the rocker cover) (is it a 8 bolt engine? I think they are refering to where it bolts to the transmission)
Does anybody know which engine would be the correct engine, is there really that many options??????
There is an engine i am looking at that is from a 2003 forester not sure if it will fit.
Also not sure as to the extent of the flooding but engine has taken water and is now seized. Car interior doesnt appear to have much water as there is no sign that the water has made it to the seats.
Any thoughts on the posibilties of water damage to the starter motor, alternator, Manual transmission, CVs, Diffs etc.
Would really appreciate any feedback as i havent purchased yet.
Thanks
cduey100

Re: Need advice on engine replacement 2002 MY03 2.5L manual

Postby Sentinel » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:47 pm

Can't help on the engine side of things, but...

1. Welcome! :good:
2. Unless it's an absolute bargain... Steer clear. Electrical gremlins will drive you insane! (Sounds like the engine already is!)
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby cduey100 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Yes I understand that flooded cars can be a nightmare with electrics. What if all the terminals and connections were cleaned and sprayed with wd40 this might avoid these issues. thinking of paying 4000- 5000 what do you think??
cduey100

Postby teK-- » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:07 am

Sentinel is right; cars these days have endless amounts of electronics that are easily water damaged if submerged, and you will end up spending more time and money in the long run identifying and fixing things. It's not really the terminals etc that you need to worry about, but ICs and circuit boards which are already damaged or will die suddenly and expectedly.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby sheppo9 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:52 pm

The engine is an EJ251, SOHC. But most deadshits think because it has 2 heads, it must be a DOHC...
The Forester engine, as long as its out of a 2003 - 2006 will be fine.
It has 5 bolts per side, holding the rocker cover on too.

I know someone who bought an RS Impreza after the floods in Newcastle, rebuilt the motor (bearings, rings, pistons etc), put new sensors in the engine bay and it still wouldn't fire up. Ended up needing a new ECU and had to get Subaru to reprogram the immobiliser system and check it for more crap that went wrong.

Unless you get it for $1g, stay away, not worth the hassle.
sheppo9

Car: An Outback

Postby cduey100 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks for that I really appreciate your comments and I have taken on board.
Do you know if the forester has the same 5 speed manual transmission, ECU, immobiliser system, Starter motor, Alternator, Ignition system. I would think that i can probably get the lot off the guy selling the forester engine, he has all these other items available.
Thanks
cduey100

Postby Sentinel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:46 pm

After 4 posts saying avoid, it sounds like you've already got your mind made up. Just buy it mate and then enjoy the learnings, I mean have fun. :wink:
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby cduey100 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:19 am

NO my mind isnt made up yet but I must admitt I do like a challenge.
cduey100

Postby sheppo9 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Gearbox is different, Forester will be dual range, Liberty is single. Will bolt in thou, might have to lock the dual range in Hi thou, or find a centre console from an Outback if you really want to be able to use the dual range.
ECU will be different part numbers, as some sensors might be different, but "might" still work after figuring out which ones are in fact different.
Immobiliser will be different as its unique to the car it came out of.

If you are still keen on doing this, I'd recommend contacting Al or Miles at AM Auto (http://amauto.com.au/) these guys are freeks at Subaru conversions and wiring and will be able to help you out.
sheppo9

Car: An Outback

Return to 2.5i engine specific