Big end bearing died for the 2nd time.

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Big end bearing died for the 2nd time.

Postby MrNicholas » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:10 pm

HI all. I am new to the forum.

Just trying to find out if I am extreamly unlucky or if there is a common problem with the 2.5i engine.

I own a My05 2.5i which I purchased in november 04. I have killed 2 big end bearings. My understanding is to kill a big end bearing you need to rev it high when the car is cold and low on oil.

The 1st engine went when the car was 6 months old. The oil level was high. I am not one to drive a car hard especially when the car is cold. Subaru agreed and replaced the engine under warranty.

The engine has just blown a big end bearing again for the 2nd time. The car has been burning (not leaking) oil lately. I have had to top it up a few times. When the bearing went I was around the corner from home after driving from the city, so the car was defintely warm.

This time the car is well out of warranty. Subaru have kindly offered to replace the engine and I only have to pay for the labor. (still expensive but I wont complain). I cannot fault them on that.

Stupidly I am now looking a gift horse in the mouth. It left me wondering if there is a common fault in that engine. Subaru were helpful very quickly with little pushing.

Is this a known problem? Or am I just extreamly fortunate for such good cutomer service?
MrNicholas

Postby GTSPECB STI » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:43 pm

sorry to hear about your misfortune with big end bearings but you are certainly no orphan, the problem has reared it head with a number 2.5 ltr boxer engines particularly MY07 onwards, wrx's, liberty's. At least there coming to the party with a new engine for you.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby Spec B Wgn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:44 pm

same oil used in both failures ??
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby MrNicholas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:47 pm

Spec B Wgn wrote:same oil used in both failures ??

The 1st engine it was the oil Subaru put in. This 2nd time I had been topping up with castrol brand oil.
MrNicholas

Postby Spec B Wgn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:26 pm

MrNicholas wrote:

The 1st engine it was the oil Subaru put in. This 2nd time I had been topping up with castrol brand oil.

yer what type ? is it the correct type for yopur application conditions etc.
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby Sentinel » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:17 pm

That's what I was thinking.
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Re: Big end bearing died for the 2nd time.

Postby Saint_Willow » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:16 pm

i did the big end bearing back in jar this year. the car was just in the warranty period, i took it to subaru for ALL the services and they told me they wont do anything. i was coming off a highway doing 90 when all of a sudden i heard it. lucky i was round the corner from my house. i had no warning at all about the oil being low ie no flashing oil light. But i replaced the engine with a lower km motor and check the oil every day haha can't afford another 3g to fix again :)
Saint_Willow

Return to 2.5i engine specific