Opinions...

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Opinions...

Postby marki » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 pm

I gotta say the 2.5i is a great car, but just recently im starting to think this car is hugely underpowered. I mean its quite pricey compared to the competion and apart from its looks its mechanical side is very average, the auto is overgeared and the engine feels soo sluggish.

I realise its only a 4cyl - I didnt buy this car to rule the road, but even taking off the 2.5i feels breathless, like im moving 10 tonne.

Opinions?
marki

Car: 03 MY04 2.5i

Postby metalcar » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 pm

TAAAAARRRRRBOOOOOOOOOO!!!! only way to get that powa you crave ;)

I think the 2.5 engine in the outback I've been loaned is okay. I'm not a fan of how the auto doesn't shift down until you touch the loud pedal and then you cop the nasty down shift wait... But for a get about car I think the 2.5 carries itself okay, but generally not a fan of the auto so maybe that is more the problem.
metalcar

Postby Arith » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:37 pm

Heh-heh. A rather sensitive posting as you'll have a few people up in arms. But I'd have to agree.

In my honest opinion, whenever someone asks me for advice on a new car, I tell them unless they're after the turbo or 3.0, to look elsewhere for the 4-cylinder N/A variant.

The 2.5i is a nice, safe car with airbags and AWD. But value wise, there are better vehicles to be had at that price or lower. Honda Accord, Accord Euro, Mazda6 to name a few. All with solid build quality and reliable as well. Only thing missing is AWD, but their engines are better performers at that level. Granted this is based on the auto tranny in which I've driven all the cars listed above so my opinion is from an auto experience. But anyone else who's driven the manual versions is more than welcome to contradict me otherwise. :D

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby overl0ad » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:39 pm

you scrafice power for handling.

that's the trade off when you get the 2.5
tangcla wrote:I didn't have to. I have girly Asian hands :lol:
overl0ad

Car: MY07 GTB 6MT *sold*

Return to 2.5i engine specific