Gen 5 improvements

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Gen 5 improvements

Postby planky » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:18 pm

Hi all,

I have been offered a Gen 5 MY12 2.5i Liberty sedan from a relative for a very good price - it has 210,000km on the clock, but has a perfect service history and has been really well maintained since new by the owner - so presents very well despite the age and kms. Issue is that I took it for a drive the other day and it seemed really sluggish and had a serious lack of throttle responsiveness.

I know this is probably to be expected with a relatively small engine in such a heavy car (polishing a turd and all that...), but am wondering if there is any cost effective way to get a bit of an improvement in performance or throttle responsiveness? Is it worth looking into tuning/remapping to get a bit more out of it?

Will look at replacing the head unit with something a bit more modern, but any other mods worth looking at? Will likely only hang onto it for a couple of years until I can get something better, so won't be looking to drop a heap of cash into it.

Apologies in advance if this has been answered already - have had a decent trawl through the forums, but can't find much about this for the Gen 5.

Cheers!
planky

Re: Gen 5 improvements

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:56 am

Not a great deal of options, however bear in mind you will adjust to how it drives anyway, and a low power car can generally be driven harder everywhere than a very powerful car.

A throttle controller might help, or an ecu and tcu tune, from which you might expect better drivability and a very small performance boost.

A noisy exhaust and inlet might make it sound sportier, the inlet will require a tune.

If you’re a mods and fabrication expert with an abundance of cash, for sure you can convert to forced induction.

Personally, I’d just put GT brakes and Koni sport struts on it and maintain and enjoy it.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 2.5i engine specific