Stock 2007 Liberty GT conversion to VF52 Plus...

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Re: Stock 2007 Liberty GT conversion to VF52 Plus...

Postby Stifull » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:23 pm

Yes.. The traction control was the only one that came back on on the way home but after the battery was disconnected all night it hasn't come back on. I topped up the coolant today and took it for a slow cruise out almost to the end of Cedar Creek road and it puts along quite nicely in "I" mode. Doesn't seem to be much louder, but I think that may change in "SS" mode.. LOL

I put the turbo heat shield back on . I had to trim a fair bit off because the downpipe is more than twice as wide as the old one. It was fun putting it back on with the IC in place. I cut off half the bottom section and trimmed it so it all sits nice and snug. The Actuator is in a different place so I had to trim there as well. I then cut 2 small 50x35mm bits off the leftovers and riveted one bit on either side of the bottom section so it slips up from underneath and clamps onto the bottom of the top section. That bottom bit has 1 bolt at the bottom to secure it to the up pipe and the flaps I made hold it very tightly up against the top half so it basically looks like it used to look before I swapped out the downpipe and turbo ...

You can see the rivets and the outside little flap. I used a section with a rolled edge to put extra pressure on the homemade clamp.

It seems the LGT doesn't like having the vacuum hose disconnected from the brake booster. I took it off to do the heat shield and it did the weird jerking abs shudder thing again briefly at the same spot as it did it yesterday but not as severe. Possibly because it was only undone for a couple of hours not 6 days like the first time.
I also fitted the new drivers side breather hose and fitted the engine cover. Without the cover, air can choose NOT to go through the intercooler or blow down onto the turbo but with the cover on, especially after being trimmed to fit perfect to the top of the IC, it has no choice but to go through the IC.. The AVO copy IC is a perfect fit once the cover is trimmed. I put some self adhesive foam strip around the edge of the cover so it is totally sealed against the top of the intercooler and the thing under the bonnet. Should work a treat.

[ Diversion ] Garage have been awesome to deal with. They are 45 klm from my place so I can't legally go there BUT one of the mechanics lives not far so he is dropping his car off at my place tonight and taking the LGT home tonight and to work tomorrow.. Woohoo... such a relief ? I wasn't at all comfortable driving across Brisbane. They now have random " distance from home" sites and tell in a few seconds where your car lives. Getting caught 45 KLM from home costs as much as a tune. I say good on them. There are a LOT of selfish people around these days..
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby Yowie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:05 pm

I would be very surprised if momentary (engine off) disconnection & re-attachment of the brake booster vacuum line was troubling the system.

The booster would go to atmospheric pressure on switch-off anyway, then back to vacuum on start-up.

Hopefully this bizarre traction control light BS just goes away and stays away OR the tuner can read the computer's whinge and id and/or fix the issue.

---

Nice heat-shield work.

--

Minor point about airflow into the scoop - on the Forester if you look into the scoop there is a separate grilled section to the driver's side of the main intercooler feed that allows some fresh air to hit the top of the turbo. I assume a Liberty is similar.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby Stifull » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:55 pm

Yes Liberty is the same. Air to turbo area.

The brake booster stays pressurised because i heard it hiss when I took off the hose to get the heat shield on.

The fellow from Diversion has been and we filled out some paperwork and he left about 30 min later.. Lots of people have cancelled their tunes so they are offering pick up and delivery.. Should get it back tomorrow night.

Anxiety levels through the roof. Hope I get it back in one piece and running well. Dyno tune is probably the most stressful thing you can do to a car.. I hope it survives.. I've done everything that I could to make it as good as it could be for a car it's age..
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby Yowie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:19 pm

Despite running the car hard on the dyno the tuner is monitoring knock closely. You'll get back a real weapon.
Yowie

Postby subyroo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:55 am

Stifull wrote:Lots of people have cancelled their tunes so they are offering pick up and delivery.. Should get it back tomorrow night.

Anxiety levels through the roof. Hope I get it back in one piece and running well.

You & are alike.
I hate letting somebody other than myself and my wife drive my car. Even then I worry, she is not mechanically minded.
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
MY03 XS Forester (owned for 13yrs.)
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Car: 2021 Honda HRV VTi-S

Postby Stifull » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:37 pm

All done. 178.3kw atw and 355nm of torque on 16lb of boost. Despite my attempts to prepare it and send it down with everything as good as it could be, the tune cost more than ALL the parts combined. Had to come off the dyno to have some boost leaks sorted. These leaks meant the IC and alternator both had to be removed and refitted. Also despite being told by a couple of people that there was no need for the join/insert (which I had bought but didn't bother installing ) between the 2 big pipes, they felt that having one inside the other and a clamp may allow one of them to collapse under strong vacuum. They also ran 2 cans of the SUBARU upper cylinder and throttle body cleaner through which I had done but not with the genuine Subaru stuff. I have always only used the genuine Subaru stuff. I was persuaded to use a different brand which didn't seem to work because there was no clouds of white smoke. They have a video of the tuning room filled with white smoke. Not sure what happened . They also fitted clamps where they weren't any and had to replace the turbo oil return line. Did they do a good job ? Yes.. Am I happy that it cost me $2368.67 ... NO.. But that was my fault for not doing things properly . I am angry with myself. I did soo well to get ALL the parts for just over $2k . The rebuilt ported turbo is normally that much, but for me, a person who has always had to hunt around for bargains or do without, paying that much money to do something that I could have done myself had I known just makes me angry. Problem is they are 45 klm across the other side of town and with the restrictions, it just wasn't an option to go down , pick it up and bring it home and fix the leaks was just not an option so I had no choice but to let them do it. They did a great job. Am I excited. No. I can't even look at the car without feeling sad, angry and disappointed.
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby Yowie » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:51 pm

Nice work getting the car back successfully and with a cracking power figure.

These projects always take more time and money* than we allow for. That disappointment will pass and you'll be left with a car that is very satisfying to drive.

(*ask me about needing a gearbox rebuild after my E85 tune)
Yowie

Postby Stifull » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:45 am

Last edited by Stifull on Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:39 pm

Well that’s fantastic that they properly health checked the car and found faults.
Chances are they have all the required kit to do this efficiently, things you may not have the time or ability to do.

Since the short fat bit S pipe and the inlet pipe are subject to heat, vacuum and vibration, an internal adapter is a must!
Overall, money well spent.

Make sure you continue to get the state of tune, eg learning values checked regularly when your car is at the mechanics, since the whole shebang is running closer to the edge.

Great result and loving that flat power graph to redline. :)

However I’m not sure about the boost control strategy: I-mode at least should be 7psi at redline assuming it’s the stock wastegate actuator and no boost creep. Mine is set at 7, 12 & 15 psi and that’s what I get at redline.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Stifull » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:46 pm

Thanks Ben. They are too far away to go there again but for the initial tune it was worth it. There only recommendation was to run another can of throttle body cleaner through it after it has settled in..100klm or so. It's always tempting to tell them "I want 200kwts and I am sure it would get there on 17-18lb but it wouldn't last... LOL.. Talking about lasting. I moved my daughters 07 Impreza the other day and thought , that speedo is worth a photo. Still running original engine..

Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:42 pm

Only downside is that I-mode is also failsafe mode :P

Do you have the full uec procedure?
https://www.iwsti.com/threads/seafoam-y ... ne.179036/
Obviously I skip the uec in the oil part unless I’m due for an oil change.

Nothing more satisfying than a huge smokescreen.
I save my relationship with the neighbours by doing it at the local garage lol!

Next time I may pull the vac hose of the map sensor to get at cyl1 & 2, or maybe the even more central/forward fuel purge return.
bigBADbenny

Postby Stifull » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:22 pm

Hi Ben.. I have ran the Genuine Subaru USC through many of our cars over the years and know what you mean about the white smoke. We don't have neighbours so that is not a problem but it sure produces a LOT of white smoke.

On a side note about 45 years ago a girl in our group of friends had a holden that had low compression and she was told it needed a rebuild. I spoke to a couple of old fella mechanics and they both said.. Get it running with the air filter off and while reving, slowly pour a cup full of diesel in there.. Well. talk about white smoke in suburbia LOL.. I am amazed the fire brigade didn't rock up.. Anyway, it transformed the car. Power was restored and when she took it back for another compression test it was back within acceptable levels. I was in her good books with a few brownie points after that effort. Neighbours, not soo much.

The stuff I got from local workshop seemed to do nothing at all despite following instructions.. No white smoke. Maybe I put the nozzle into the wrong place. it's a lot easier to choose vacuum lines in an earlier model WRX..

Is there a photo of what is the best inlet to use. Diversion Garage advised it needed to be done again in the next 1000ks.

I'm slowly getting used to the cars new normal. I have a severe cold so been staying home or only going for covid tests etc and not visiting family and friends. It is very different with a 50kwt increase in power and the fact that boost now comes on at 2700rpm. Sports Sharp mode is a little over the top for normal driving especially being an auto that is now a little louder than I am used to. It's quick enough in sports mode. I'll save SS for special occasions.. The more I drive it the more I am appreciating how well it goes and how it's throttle control needs to be relearnt. I no longer feel like turtle in a world of Hares..
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Chances are the car was struggling with inlet leaks.

That’s why regular health check basics are so important, for me at least.

The knock control and fuel learning are somewhat too lenient and the car can be poopy without throwing a check engine light.

However a Learning View takes minutes and speaks volumes about the actual state of tune.

I use this method for uec:
https://www.iwsti.com/threads/seafoam-y ... ne.179036/

I wrap tape around the uec can straw so it’s a good fit in the bov vacuum reference hose, as pulled off the bov.

Then add 1/2 can on idle with an assistant keeping the rpm up.
The last half of the cab is dumped in with the engine off, let it soak for 15 minutes, restart the car and voila smoke screen!

Next time I do it I’ll try a port at the front of the intake manifold to favour cylinder 1&2.

Diesel trick is mad, dast I try it!!!
bigBADbenny

Previous

Return to 2.5i engine specific