2008 Subaru Liberty 2.5L Catalytic Converter Issues

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

2008 Subaru Liberty 2.5L Catalytic Converter Issues

Postby Danyool » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:50 am

Hi all, new here

So my car had a little oil leak which I didn’t notice until it was too late. Luckily I didn’t cook the entire engine, but the whole thing smelt like a sparkler. I filled it up with oil, did a service but the engine still felt like it was missing. I checked the computer for it and it says that the catalytic converter is throwing up errors so that could be the problem. I’m trying to find a replacement on but they’re going for about $1000 new. I did however find a 2007 Liberty that someone’s scrapping and was wondering if they both used the same catalytic converter? Thanks

Also on a side note if anyone knows the answer, I think one of the sensors is gone, my father thinks it could be the emission or CO2 sensor as it’ll turn on my ABS and check engine light and the cruise control will flash at me.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks again :D
Danyool

Car: 2008 Subaru Liberty

Re: 2008 Subaru Liberty 2.5L Catalytic Converter Issues

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:46 pm

Ok start with reading the codes or listing them all here accurately.

If you can’t bring the codes up on the odometer (see the parts & FSM link in my signature) supercheap auto etc will scan the codes for a reasonable fee.

That same parts faq has links to your FSM workshop manual which in turn has all the factory diagnostic procedures related to the cel codes.

And also how to check parts equivalence, eg sensors and parts from other models.

Basic health checks are also useful, including using a laser thermometer to check if the cats are working properly or at all: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... rguy+p0420

In any case, I recommend diagnostics over parts/cash cannon.

There’s just too many possibles and you don’t want to “fix” the car in a random fashion only to have the issue happen again.

As regards your oil leak, do you have more details on the symptoms, causes and the fix?
There’s important considerations as regards your looms discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36481

Also what’s your model: gen4 what?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 2.5i engine specific