B4 BL/BP 2.5L MAF Sensor Location

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Re: B4 BL/BP 2.5L MAF Sensor Location

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:01 pm

Ok the burnt rubber smell is worth checking out, IME it’s usually a front inner CV boot going bad, with leaking grease hitting the exhaust etc.

I caught my passenger side at 270k km in time, wrapped it up with plastic & zipties and had a new boot installed a week later for less than $100 fitted.

Otherwise I use A1 or Statewide driveshaft here in melbs for reco shafts :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby alexanderstollznow » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:32 am

Hi all.
I have just been fixing my sister's 2005 Liberty, and was also looking for the MAF sensor.
The components are exactly as per the diagram posted above. ie there is no visible MAF sensor.

BUT....
when I plug in a basic scan tool, there is a data feed for a MAF sensor. In addition, my own car is a 2006 Forester, and the two cars have essentially identical data feeds for both MAP and MAF. ie showing pretty much the same numbers.
Yet the Forester has a MAF/IAT combined in the just on the engine side of the filter (like,, where you would expect it to be!)

So the Liberty does appear to have a MAF sensor, even though I can't see where it is.
alexanderstollznow

Car: 2005 Liberty Wagon BP9

Postby Callicil » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:07 am

Cheers for the heads up there mate. Hopefully that's not the case as they were only replaced about 30,000km or so ago. But will jump in and have a squiz at it all the same. I may possibly have also over tensioned one of the belts possibly too (As the tensioner tool I had was a right pain to use).
Callicil

Car: Liberty MY04 2.5i Manual

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:36 am

The rule of thumb for accessory belts is being able to turn the belt no more than 90’ across the longest length between pullies.

This method does not require a tension tool.

Be sure to undo the pulley bolt before adjusting the tension or the bracket will break!
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Callicil » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:02 pm

Legend. This is all good info to store in the brain. I'll give it a check after work and see how tight the belt is.
Callicil

Car: Liberty MY04 2.5i Manual

Previous

Return to 2.5i engine specific