Using my spare WRX parts to turbocharge my N/A liberty?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Using my spare WRX parts to turbocharge my N/A liberty?

Postby Vazzter » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:42 am

Hello everyone :D

I recently purchased a 2005 WRX. The previous owner has modified the car and left me with some stock parts!

A stock TD04 Turbo
A stock 2005 WRX TMIC,
And more.

My daily, is a 2008 Subaru Liberty 2.5i N/A. It just passed 200,000km on its 5speed manual. I enjoy daily driving this car seriously and I'm interested in turbocharging it.

My question to you all is:

Should I buy some better injectors, a fuel pump, tune, etc, etc, and turbocharge my liberty? I would likely have it run on low boost, to be safe. (As the engine just passed 200,000km's)

Can anyone provide previous experience and or advice for or against this? I thought that if I had the intercooler, turbo and a similar engine, I could turbocharge my daily relatively cheaply and easily, not for large power gains but to put some spare parts to good use and enjoy my daily moreso.

I'd love to know the logistics of turbo-ing my Liberty with the parts I have, how much it'd cost, if it's worth it, and what the process is like. Regardless if you are for or against this, I'd like to heard your opinion and thoughts on my plans! Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Jack.
Vazzter

Car: Subaru Liberty Sports Edition 2.5i M

Re: Using my spare WRX parts to turbocharge my N/A liberty?

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:56 am

Generally the time and effort is comparable to selling the n/a car and buying a factory turbo car.

If you do the conversion, the compression ratio of the n/a engine will limit your max boost to stock wastegate pressure, around 7psi for safety.
Often for these conversions a larger turbo than stock is used so boost and maximum power is delivered after midrange, to protect the rods.

There are FB groups dedicated to the n/a turbo subject.
You’ll need a turbo crossmember amongst other things.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Using my spare WRX parts to turbocharge my N/A liberty?

Postby Stifull » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:14 am

+1 for selling and getting a GT .. Also sell the turbo, TMIC etc spares.. Add that money to getting your new GT..woohoo 2 new cars...
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Return to 2.5i engine specific