Whats this noise.....HEEELLLLPPPP

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Whats this noise.....HEEELLLLPPPP

Postby WogsRus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:14 am

Morning All

I have a 2001 Subaru Liberty Rx, EJ251.

The car has full Subaru service, religiously, every 10,000kms etc. Last service only 3,000kms. Car has traveled 131,000 kms and is in great nick.

When i purchased the car it had a noise is it on very light throttle application, when cold and disappeared after 1-2 minutes and warm. At first i though it sounded like a tensioner, even though the belt was done only 15,000 km.

Replaced all pullies, belt tensioner etc, by the book and the noise is still there. The noise is hard to pin point but going by the good old mechanical ear (long screwdriver to the ear trick) it seams to be more form the crank end of the car.

If i put the screwdriver on the tensioner, the noise is obvious.

The noise only happens at light throttle applications and disappears when coming off the throttle and disappears repetitively quickly 1-2 minutes.

Any chance someone could assist.

Heres the vid

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AorBUwUxW6F7g5gd0IR ... A?e=Lnf7BD
WogsRus

Car: 2001 RX liberty S2

Re: Whats this noise.....HEEELLLLPPPP

Postby Stifull » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:33 am

My first thought is 10,000ks between oil and filter changes is way to long unless you are checking the oil levels and topping it up between services. If you leave the bonnet shut for 10,000ks then take it for a service then I am not surprised it has a problem. Even the Subaru owners manual says you MUST check the oil level between services.. The noise.. I am a bit of a pessimistic person but we have 5 subarus here and that noise would bring tears to my eyes. I hope I'm wrong, for your sake. I would always advise people to not take their car to Subaru for any reason, especially if the engine needs a rebuild.. There price will bring tears to your eyes and you'll be selling your children to pay for it. Find a workshop who ONLY does Subarus. Ours all go to Subievolution in Bris if it's something I don't want to do myself, but there are awesome workshops all over the country. Michael South (MSR engineering) has a fabulous reputation..He's in NSW I believe. It's worth a road trip to get a good engine rebuild !!!!!!
It could be the idler bearing but you say that has been replaced so that should be nice and quiet.
Good Luck.. I hope it is something simple... This is a MSE rebuilt Liberty with a couple of custom goodies...probably cost less than than Subaru would charge for a stock engine rebuild...LOL..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHvoMhK ... 3Cuq5U9jxE
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby WogsRus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:14 pm

I have only had the car three weeks, so the previous owner is the one who serviced it. I am like you, far more pedantic.

I went to a local Subaru Workshop, they believe its the big end bearing, start off. Is that your thoughts too?
WogsRus

Postby Yowie » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:56 pm

With my mastery of the bleedin' obvious, it occurs to me that the replacement or rebuilt engine side of things may be more uncertain and expensive than just buying and keeping a different car with a running engine - especially at 2001 Liberty prices.

Sunk Cost Theory means that it's painful to backtrack away from a car you've bought 3 weeks ago, but the rational decision-maker needs to look at future cost at this point (in money and time off the road).
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby WogsRus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:12 pm

Rebuilding the engine myself is no biggie, mechanical engineer by trade and simper enough to do.

I brought the car for my son to get his Ls on to learn for 2.5K so not all is lost and could scrap it for that but dont really want to, its mint inside and only a fee marks on the outside, bar the clear coat fade on the roof.

A good second hand engine is 1.5K down in Tas, so would be 4K into it.

The question remains, do we think its big end noise or not. It just doesn't sound like any big end noise i have ever heard.

And rod knock is typically different too.
WogsRus

Postby Yowie » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:55 pm

Good to hear it's practical to do the work at your end (and the shell is worth it).

I just listened to the video. Can you do the maths on number of knock sounds per minute at (eg) a 650rpm idle?

If it more-or-less correlates with "one knock per rev" that might point more towards an issue with a single rod? (or anything else that turns over once per rev, so perhaps not that useful...)

Will be interesting to see if it gets worse and how quickly.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby WogsRus » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:34 am

Soooooooooooooooooooo

Do we think this is bearing noise and the like?

Ie, big end starting to go?

Thanks
WogsRus

Return to 2.5i engine specific