2.5i engine mods

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

2.5i engine mods

Postby Kai101 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:30 pm

hey guys I have an 09 2.5i, I've got an xforce cat back with a high flow cat and uel headers, i know there's not much you can do for engine/performance upgrades on a n/a engine but i was wondering what I could do to get a bit more power from the engine? Thanks
Kai101

Car: Subaru Liberty

Re: 2.5i engine mods

Postby Yowie » Mon May 25, 2020 10:45 pm

Just speculating, but 98 octane fuel and a tune or E85 and a tune to get some more power from ignition advance?

Probably still increasing power by small percentages over a low base.

That aside, probably big-dollars spent on raising compression and/or rev limit and/or cams etc. to try to squeeze a bit more out of that low base.

Without big displacement or big revs you are starting behind the 8 ball with a small naturally aspirated engine and the heavy mass of an all-wheel-drive car (as opposed to a Mazda MX5 or something light).

I know what its like to really love the car you have and wanting to upgrade it to the max, but your best bet would be trading it in for a turbo model (or if you really like NA, a 3 Litre NA model, or ditch Subies and get something with an LS V8 engine or something).

If you're on P plates - it genuinely won't be long until you are off them and can upgrade to something with power very cheaply/easily.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Re: 2.5i engine mods

Postby Kai101 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:04 pm

yeah thats what i sorta thought, im getting a tune soon because I got the uel headers and the high flow cat on so I have no cruise control and stuff cos the 02 sensor isn't getting enough oxygen from the cat so hopefully the tune gives me a bit more power, thanks for the help
Kai101

Car: Subaru Liberty

Return to 2.5i engine specific