MY10 Intermittent Engine issue

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

MY10 Intermittent Engine issue

Postby jackandrew » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 am

G'day guys,

Hope someone might have some solutions to a problem I'm having with my MY10 Liberty Wagon (CVT gearbox). The car has done approx 130,000kms

The car first showed the issue when driving from Sydney to the snow. Driving around Lake George and whilst on cruise control the engine started revving and then seemed to be misfiring/lurching and then lost power, the car slowed down to about 30km/h before the problem disappeared and I could accelerate again. 5 mins later the same thing happened except it came to a complete stop and the engine stalled. Attempted to re-start the engine with no luck. Towed the car to an NRMA service centre at Majura Park who had the car for a week but couldn't find any issues. The car started first go when it got there, had no fault codes and they couldn't recreate the issue even taking it for a few long drives. I picked the car up a week later and drove it back to Sydney without issue.

After driving it for a week around Sydney I then headed back to the snow, got all the way without any issues until driving home Sunday night. After taking the scenic route the car started showing exactly the same symptoms around Goulburn for shutting down completely 40kms later. Got towed to a Subaru dealer/service centre at Moss Vale and sure enough, on Monday morning it started first go and didn't have any fault codes. They have basically said they can't do anything and thrown their hands in the air.

To my way of thinking it seems to occur after it's been running for a while (2hrs first time, 5 hrs second time) and then once it cools completely the problem solves itself.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?
jackandrew

Car: MY10 Liberty Wagon Premium

Re: MY10 Intermittent Engine issue

Postby Surge » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Is it overheating ?

Connect an obd 2 adapter to your phone and watch the temp as you drive up a hill.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:13 pm

Yes, definitely get an OBDII reader like Surge suggested. The only way you'll be able to look at sensor readings while it is playing up, is if you do it yourself. It's frustrating, but you don't want to pay someone to drive your car for 2h+ to reproduce the issue.

If it was temperature related, you should see your gauge go up (assuming it works). But a failing sensor or problem with wiring could be brought on by high temperatures. Eg heating up plastic causing a bad contact.

Even if you don't know what to look at, log a whole lot of sensors and create an Excel spreadsheet for some knowledgeable guys on the forum to look at.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby Surge » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:52 pm

My gen V GT does not have a temp guage.

Just a fuel economy gauge in its place.

Not sure if OP has the same design in the 2.5i.

Definitely silly of subaru to give up a temp guage for something like a fuel econ guage which doesn't even have a use.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby jackandrew » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:11 pm

Yeah, my 2.5i doesn't have a temp gauge either.

I got myself an OBDII reader but so far no issues have been evident, temperatures are all normal and no other faults. As Tom suggested I am collecting some log files so hopefully something will come of that.

At the moment it's running fine, so I just have to wait until it breaks down again and hopefully it's not in peak hour traffic!

Thanks for your help so far!
jackandrew

Car: MY10 Liberty Wagon Premium

Return to 2.5i engine specific