Purchasing a Gen 4 Liberty

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Purchasing a Gen 4 Liberty

Postby zoliberty » Mon May 02, 2016 9:11 am

Hello, I've found a Gen 4 MY08 with low k's.. only down side is that it hasn't been services since 30000k in 2012, it's currently sitting around 46500k. Guess he didn't think he needed a service due to the low k's, though Subaru advise to service every 12500k or 6 months.

My mechanic said to check for oil building on the engine oil cap. Transmission and diff oils should be fine. The car is in pretty good condition and drives well. So it's a bit of a kinder surprise.

What do you guys think?
zoliberty

Car: Liberty MY07 Spec.B 3l

Re: Purchasing a Gen 4 Liberty

Postby Insomniac » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:04 am

From my limited knowledge, missing a service by 4xxx km isn't ideal but probably not enough kms to cause any real problems from oil turning to sludge. 4xxxkms and it sat in the car for 4 years. I'm pretty sure oil sitting in the cylinder on the gasket is one of the causes of the crappy gaskets to fail. The more contaminants in the oil the more the wear.
I'd assume any resulting issues wouldn't arise anytime in the near future.
I'd wait for someone who really knows what they are talking about to chime in but I'd probably low ball him and buy it. I'd be changing my oil every 5k kms if my liberty wasn't old enough for me to legally have relations with.

Sorry just realised I necro'd an old thread. Hows the car running? :)
Insomniac

Car: 3rd Gen Liberty

Return to 2.5i engine specific