Later model EJ25 swap

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Later model EJ25 swap

Postby Bond » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:59 am

Lads,

Just after a bit of technical advice. THe EJ25 SOHC in my 04 BP Liberty is getting tired (using oil, has a few leaks, needs new timing cover + full timing kit etc).
It's got 227k on it and I'm considering the value of just swapping in a low km EJ25 from a later model rather than giving it a minor overhaul. Should I go down the engine swap route is it just a case of new engine/loom/ecu? Or will there be other mods/parts required? Will stick with something from a late Gen IV model to keep it as simple as possible.

Before anyone asks, not interested in a turbo engine or a 6 cyl. It's only a family bus and my wife doesn't need more power :lol:
Bond

Car: MY05 Liberty Wagon

Re: Later model EJ25 swap

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:44 pm

Bond wrote:Lads,

Just after a bit of technical advice. THe EJ25 SOHC in my 04 BP Liberty is getting tired (using oil, has a few leaks, needs new timing cover + full timing kit etc).
It's got 227k on it and I'm considering the value of just swapping in a low km EJ25 from a later model rather than giving it a minor overhaul. Should I go down the engine swap route is it just a case of new engine/loom/ecu? Or will there be other mods/parts required? Will stick with something from a late Gen IV model to keep it as simple as possible.

Before anyone asks, not interested in a turbo engine or a 6 cyl. It's only a family bus and my wife doesn't need more power :lol:

Will be a major swap. Engine loom, dash loom, ECU and basically whole works. If you can find a rear end smashed wreck, would be ideal to convert everything over
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Bond » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:29 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:

Will be a major swap. Engine loom, dash loom, ECU and basically whole works. If you can find a rear end smashed wreck, would be ideal to convert everything over

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Still need to weigh up cost of replacement vs cost of a rebuild vs cost of trading it in and getting another car. If I could get a wreck for the right price though it would probably be worth it (engine + trans + diff)

Cheers mate.
Bond

Postby Bond » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:37 pm

Just an update.

Spoke to the guys at A M Auto in Noosa, they tell me any single cam EJ25 up to 2007 (pre AVCS) will work without having to change loom/ecu etc.

Just need to toss up the cost now of either getting a newer engine, getting a rebuild or just keep doing the scheduled maintenance until it properly dies.
Bond

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Bond wrote:Just an update.

Spoke to the guys at A M Auto in Noosa, they tell me any single cam EJ25 up to 2007 (pre AVCS) will work without having to change loom/ecu etc.

Just need to toss up the cost now of either getting a newer engine, getting a rebuild or just keep doing the scheduled maintenance until it properly dies.

Just to confirm, this infor is 'sort of' wrong

Any 2.5i Hitachi computer engine will fit

The preface 06 model will not as it uses a Denso ECU and different signals for cam/crank

Also, the later model engines have AVLS, not AVCS :)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Return to 2.5i engine specific