1999 Subaru liberty Idle/Running Issues

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

1999 Subaru liberty Idle/Running Issues

Postby Benny46 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:28 am

Hey guys,

I've been having trouble with my 1999 Liberty 2.5L RX. My car recently had a miss which was briefly solved by replacing the plugs. The miss returned, and thinking it was the leads I replaced them, but it turns out one of the connectors on the coil pack was corroded and had no spark. I since replaced that, but the car still doesn't run properly.

When started, the car idles around 1k RPM. I can use the throttle and go through the rev range at a stop no problems, but once the throttle is released the cars revs drop to idle at around 5-600 RPM, sometimes lower. Trying to drive the car is near impossible, the car wants to stall continuously, and there is very little acceleration possible, and when the car stops it will stall.
I've read a lot about faulty MAF sensors, something which my model of car does not have. I have also read this could be an upstream O2 sensor issue. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas on where to go from here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
P.S. sorry if I've posted this in the wrong thread, first time here!
Benny46

Car: 1999 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5L

Re: 1999 Subaru liberty Idle/Running Issues

Postby BillyCorgi » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:29 am

Benny46 wrote:When started, the car idles around 1k RPM. I can use the throttle and go through the rev range at a stop no problems, but once the throttle is released the cars revs drop to idle at around 5-600 RPM, sometimes lower.

You say the car will not idle at a safe speed?
Should be around (about) 800-900 rpm, depending upon whether aircon is cycled on or cycled off at the time.
First try checking you Idle Air Control valve is functioning correctly, that the air bypass ports are not crudded up or blocked.
The IAC Valve is located on the right hand side of the throttle body as you look at the engine. Here - http://imgur.com/mX83LwY
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby Benny46 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:11 am

BillyCorgi wrote:
Benny46 wrote:When started, the car idles around 1k RPM. I can use the throttle and go through the rev range at a stop no problems, but once the throttle is released the cars revs drop to idle at around 5-600 RPM, sometimes lower.

You say the car will not idle at a safe speed?
Should be around (about) 800-900 rpm, depending upon whether aircon is cycled on or cycled off at the time.
First try checking you Idle Air Control valve is functioning correctly, that the air bypass ports are not crudded up or blocked.
The IAC Valve is located on the right hand side of the throttle body as you look at the engine. Here - http://imgur.com/mX83LwY

No it wont, not after giving the car an initial rev.
Thank you, I will try this when I get home and see where it gets me.
Benny46

Postby Benny46 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:52 pm

Looks as though the problem was with the front O2 Sensor. Disconnected it last night and the car ran like it should.
Problem has however returned and I have a feeling it's because the computer has picked up on the sensor being unplugged. Looks like replacing it is my next step.
Benny46

Return to 2.5i engine specific