What basic mods can be done to a '00 2.5 rx liberty

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

What basic mods can be done to a '00 2.5 rx liberty

Postby Byob2015 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:49 pm

Hello all,

I'm the proud owner of a manual 2000 2.5l liberty rx.
After reading a few articles and topics in the copious forums I have come to ask for a brief run down of what I can do to the car to make it feel a bit more aggressive. I've recently done the timing belt and water pump. with plugs, leads, coils to be done as soon as I have the funds.

The vehicle has just clocked 176,000 kms so it's still moderately young for a 15 year old car.

Is it better to invest in opening up the exhaust flow and do an ecu tune or to invest in suspension, braking components initially as i plan to keep the car for a few years to come?

Any response would be valued.
Thank you all.
Byob2015

Car: 2000 Liberty rx

Re: What basic mods can be done to a '00 2.5 rx liberty

Postby Jordan.k » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:08 am

You could change to a high flow panel filter, or even a cold air intake for that induction noise
ARP 2000 Headstuds | VF43 | Norm butler exhaust |
196kw Atw tuned by Matt Mcleod
Jordan.k

Car: '06 wrx
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30099

Postby Sti_lib » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:54 am

Most id do engine wise is put a diffback muffler on it....anything else is pointless....same as any ecu work

Think more about suspension (swaybars, coilovers, bushes, strut braces etc) and also brakes......the gen4 spec b front 316mm brakes are an awesome upgrade for these ;)

And i feel most importantly the tyres....get some quality rubber under it...its the only thing keeping you on the road

Come have a look over on subyclub.com as theres a bigger number of gen3 liberty owners over there...i had one myself that started same as yours and built up to a converted STi :)
Sti_lib

Postby shav » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:01 am

Sti_lib wrote:Most id do engine wise is put a diffback muffler on it....anything else is pointless....same as any ecu work

Think more about suspension (swaybars, coilovers, bushes, strut braces etc) and also brakes......the gen4 spec b front 316mm brakes are an awesome upgrade for these ;)

And i feel most importantly the tyres....get some quality rubber under it...its the only thing keeping you on the road

Come have a look over on subyclub.com as theres a bigger number of gen3 liberty owners over there...i had one myself that started same as yours and built up to a converted STi :)

I agree with these suggestions.

The na Gen 3's lacked a little in as far as engine performance. I had a 2.0 gx and basically had to wring the neck out of the little motor to get it to do anything. But it performed faultlessly.

I recommend suspension upgrades first and foremost as already mentioned. They will give you the biggest bang for buck when you hit the twisty roads.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Byob2015 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:13 am

Cheers for the replies,

Induction noise and a muffler from diff back is pointless, all show no go isn't the aim. but thanks for the recommendation.
I like the gen3 body style and the comfort of the car without having all the bling of an actual B4.

They do tend to understeer a bit though so i couldn't throw it around as much as i wanted so i may go down the suspension route first..
I would have thought a re-map would make it perform atleast a little better removing the conservative tunes from factory as well as opening up the breathe-ability of the engine both inflow and exhaust? would have to make a modest improvement wouldn't it?
Byob2015

Postby Sti_lib » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:33 am

Are they even tunable? And no i doubt it would make much difference...maybe to throttle response. ...maybe

Best bang for buck to help cure understeer is a big rear sway bar ;)

Diffback is the only restrictive part on these...all other bits are plenty big enough for the small amount of power they make

Removing the resonator box on the intake and replacing it with some intercooler bends made the response a poffteenth better
Sti_lib

Postby Adrian2627 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:46 am

A Whiteline Anti lift Kit, a set of second hand JDM Bilsteins, and some slightly lower springs will improve the handling and looks of the car. With the lower springs and JDM dampers I wouldn't worry about changing the sway bars as you'll further stiffen the ride. The JDM dampers are already pretty firm.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby Byob2015 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:12 pm

Hello all thank you for your responses :)
However in the past 6months the car was an unfortunate victim of a shitty driver incapable of braking in time and has subsequently recieved $6,000 damage to the rear end, so the next step find a body for the running gear i'm looking at a cheap straight bodied wagon of the same year with the same motor however his motor has faltered in one way or another so the question i pose is can the motor and gearbox from the sedan be transplanted into a wagon?
Byob2015

Return to 2.5i engine specific