Best mods for the ej25

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Best mods for the ej25

Postby ahrexwagon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:37 am

My ride is the 2002 Liberty manual wagon RX. This is my first Subaru and I gotta say I realise what I've been missing!!

I hAve been contemplating some performance mods to do to the car to increase the power. As I am only I my green P's for another year obviously a turbo or supercharger is out of the question at the moment but I was wondering what tips your guys could recommend to try to squeeze some extra unicorn balls out of the 2.5

Stock she pulls a fairly consistent 115kw (factory specs) and only has just over 120,000km on the engine.

Yesterday I replaced the rocker cover gaskets, seals and spark plugs as I noticed oil getting to the plugs, included in this was an oil and filter change.

I felt an immediate difference in the pick up naturally but that would only indicate that the engine would have been running poorly for some time.

I always fill up with 98 ultimate. I would never touch anything less. This has always been a noticeable improvement in fuel economy and smoother running.

Now my thoughts first off where a Cai kit. Followed by a free-er flowing exhaust. But is it actually going to benefit the engine in terms of hp gain?

I would love to see dyno results of non turbo/supercharged with mods that actually gain decent hp

Thanks guys!

Now off this morning for rotor and pad replacement time!
The Weekend car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon, 5mt, blown ej25, currently doing H6 conversion
The Donor car; 2003 Outback ez30 H6 auto
The Daily/Camping Car: 2012 Isuzu Dmax Dual Cab SX 4x4 auto
ahrexwagon

Car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon ez30 - 5mt

Re: Best mods for the ej25

Postby HardwareBoB » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:13 am

There are very little gains to be had - a nice free flowing exhaust will give you a small bump and make it sound nicer, but the NA EJ25 won't go anywhere in a hurry. Your best bet is to do some visual/other mods and then swap it for a turbo or a h6 later.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby RX25SE » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:05 pm

As above, forget power making mods.
GenIII Libertys are a good reliable package that have a nice feel. Enjoy it for what it is, and upgrade when your licence restrictions have ended.

A set of headers and a free flowing exhaust will do little to increase power but it will sharpen throttle response somewhat.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby Surge » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:59 pm

It's a nice car, I would keep it stock for resale value. As mentioned it's probably best to just buy another turbo version later on.
Anything you do wouldnt give you much bang for buck.

servicing is a good idea, could also look into an ecu tune from Matt (kidotuning) if it's possible for your ecu version.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby RX25SE » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:03 pm

Surge wrote:could also look into an ecu tune from Matt (kidotuning) if it's possible for your ecu version.

I don't believe it is...
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby jslayz » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:11 pm

RX25SE wrote:As above, forget power making mods.
GenIII Libertys are a good reliable package that have a nice feel. Enjoy it for what it is, and upgrade when your licence restrictions have ended.

A set of headers and a free flowing exhaust will do little to increase power but it will sharpen throttle response somewhat.

Spot on, buy a turbo car later.
Tune if possible would be great.
If you want to push it, add good tyres and uprated brake pads will be all you will need to enjoy spirited driving.

J
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby west_minist » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:29 pm

You can have have some gains but ECU tuning using open source will not be possible but if you can afford a H6, go for that instead or even better a turbocharge one. But a H6 with a SC would also do well.
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Return to 2.5i engine specific