Drive by wire doesn't give full throttle (only 25%)

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Drive by wire doesn't give full throttle (only 25%)

Postby Rs2000t » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi all,

I've had this problem with our MY05 2.5i for a few weeks now. The car simply won't go full throttle and according to the ODBII analyser I have plugged in, I'm only getting 25% throttle max, even with the accelerator pedal pushed to the firewall.

At first I thought the accelerator pedal sensor must be faulty, but then I discovered that when in neutral gear, I can see up to 50% throttle on the ODBII scanner (I'm sure I could see more if I was game to hold it on the rev limiter in neutral, but that doesn't seem like it would be a good idea!).

Note that with the engine off, the ODBII will only show 17%, but I assume this is the ECU overriding the pedal sensor since the engine isn't runnig.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? It seems like some other sensor must be stopping the ECU from allowing more than 25% throttle to me. The ODBII scanner does not show any fault codes.

The car is drivable, but as you can imagine takes a while to get up to speed so you have to pick your gaps when joining other traffic!

Ash
Rs2000t

Car: Liberty 2.5i wagon 2005

Re: Drive by wire doesn't give full throttle (only 25%)

Postby TS-50 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:23 pm

I have the same issue,

only have power at start of throttle pedal , no engine codes showing, but throttle pedal reads 100% on the reader but not applying to the engine

as my wife drove out today I noticed only the light on the spoiler working, the other two not coming on, . . I have been told it's common to have this happen in the unlikely event of having both Brake lights blown at the same time, . .replacing them is supposed to fix the issue, . so in the morning I am going to replace them and see what happens, . . keeping fingers crossed.
TS-50

Car: 2004 Liberty

Postby HardwareBoB » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:01 pm

Yes, if your brake lights stop working it goes into a limp mode and restricts throttle - fix them and you should be fine
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Rs2000t » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Wow guys. You are spot on, unfortunately I have just paid $477 at the dealer to have this sorted out. They said they found a chewed through tail light wire however and replaced the brake light globes.

Do you think a dealer should know about this fault and it should be a less expensive fix than $477? Did the wire have anything to do with it (if that's even true!)?
Rs2000t

Car: Liberty 2.5i wagon 2005

Postby norbs » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:21 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:Yes, if your brake lights stop working it goes into a limp mode and restricts throttle - fix them and you should be fine

That is fkn unbelievable :shock: Why would you engineer that especially with no CEL or warning indicator? :blink:
'05 Lib GT with a few mods :-)
norbs

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:53 pm

Rs2000t wrote:Wow guys. You are spot on, unfortunately I have just paid $477 at the dealer to have this sorted out. They said they found a chewed through tail light wire however and replaced the brake light globes.

Do you think a dealer should know about this fault and it should be a less expensive fix than $477? Did the wire have anything to do with it (if that's even true!)?

You got molested... no vaseline either.

I would be checking to see where these mice chewed the wire, should be an obvious repair at the damage point... if you paid that much for a set of bulbs I would be spewing as the dealer knows about the throttle issue.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby TS-50 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi,

Just so you guys know, . .I replaced just one of the non working Brake bulbs and hey presto , back on line with the power. . ..replaced both this morning, $10.99 ; and all good

I had spent $160 on a set of leads and new plugs, as I though it was most likely a broken down plug or lead as it came on suddenly, but it is due for a major service so I would have done these anyway at this time.

I have never heard of this but then again , I have never blown both brake lights at the same time or in the same day, . .
TS-50

Postby TS-50 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:31 pm

norbs wrote:
HardwareBoB wrote:Yes, if your brake lights stop working it goes into a limp mode and restricts throttle - fix them and you should be fine

That is fkn unbelievable :shock: Why would you engineer that especially with no CEL or warning indicator? :blink:

I agree, and since my wife drives this car, not me, and she traverses a highway with an uphill on ramp it is bloody dangerous to have the car suddenly have no power to get up to speed to merge into the traffic. :blink:
TS-50

Return to 2.5i engine specific