Clutch screeching. Help ASAP !

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Clutch screeching. Help ASAP !

Postby Timmoo8 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:45 pm

Hey guys

When releasing my clutch it screeches just before full release. It only happens occasionally

Just looking at the post below and they suggest it could be the fly wheel. They also suggest replacing it for a single mass in stead of the factory dual mass flywheel.

How would I go about replacing it ?

How much would I be looking at ?

Thank you
Timmoo8

Car: 05 liberty

Re: Clutch screeching. Help ASAP !

Postby nvmylh » Fri May 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Sounds like maybe the throwout bearing or the clutch is almost worn out?

Replace the dual mass with an exedy single mass kit, or if you can find an oem solid. Bit of a pain in the a$$ job, especially if the flywheel bolts are near seized..
nvmylh

Car: '08-H6-Wagon

Postby HighTech RedNeck » Fri May 16, 2014 10:34 pm

i paid $995 for a full SMF conversion, all genuine parts from subaru and yes has been the 2nd biggest pain in the ass clutch job i have done only superseded by LS2 and T56-LS7 clutch conversion
Speed doesn't kill its the sudden stop that does.
HighTech RedNeck

Car: 2005 Liberty GT 5M

Postby 2007liberty2007 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:37 pm

I agree with 05_BL_GT. The initial clutch problems I experienced were: juddering when taking off, then a few months later screeching sounds (Another mate had the same problem on his outback, except his car completely broke the DMF and clonked out). It got worse as the flywheel warmed up/hot weather. I eventually replaced the existing DMF with a SMF (we opened up the DMF and found one of internal pistons was goneskies). I went to the Subaru dealership/spare parts. They quoted me $2.7k for the DMF kit while the SMF kit was only $900. It was a no brainer for me. Overall the swap has been good.
A few things I'll note after the change:

*The clutch is slightly lighter
*The boxer rumble is definitely much more prominent between 2000-3000rpm (I guess this is where the magic of the DMF was working)
*Much stronger/stern pull from take off.

You'll need some special tools if you're going to do this job yourself.

Gluck!
2007liberty2007

Car: 2007 Liberty

Postby Timmoo8 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks heaps for your help. I'll get the mechanic on it. Hope he's not to extreme.

The next question is. Should I purchase SMF my self or get him to purchase and install it ?
Timmoo8

Car: 05 liberty

Postby 2007liberty2007 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Good idea to let the mechanic have a look. If you're lucky, the DMF may not even be the problem (but after having a chat with the Subaru mechanics, they said it is a fairly common problem).

I had a mate who was mechanic and I helped out. Took us a weekend (comfortably).
Some advice:
- Careful with the CV shaft seals (bad mistake since we could on only get these from Subaru and they were closed on weekends)
- Change the transmission oil (a buy the O ring needed for the nut)

Depends how much your mechanic will charge for the labour. Call around different Subaru workshops to get an idea of how much total (better to go with them if the difference inst much). Very rough guide is $900 (parts) + $900 labour (typically they charge the same amount as the item), but again that is only a guess. Trade discount helps heap is you are going to buy it yourself.

Gluck.
2007liberty2007

Car: 2007 Liberty

Postby rocksy85 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:52 pm

It's a spring in your dual mass flywheel. I have the exact same problem. Don't get it fixed at maximum Motorsport
Cheers
rocksy85

Car: Gen v GT
Profile URL: rocksy85

Postby cooki_monsta » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:03 am

2007liberty2007 wrote:Good idea to let the mechanic have a look. If you're lucky, the DMF may not even be the problem (but after having a chat with the Subaru mechanics, they said it is a fairly common problem).

I had a mate who was mechanic and I helped out. Took us a weekend (comfortably).
Some advice:
- Careful with the CV shaft seals (bad mistake since we could on only get these from Subaru and they were closed on weekends)
- Change the transmission oil (a buy the O ring needed for the nut)

Depends how much your mechanic will charge for the labour. Call around different Subaru workshops to get an idea of how much total (better to go with them if the difference inst much). Very rough guide is $900 (parts) + $900 labour (typically they charge the same amount as the item), but again that is only a guess. Trade discount helps heap is you are going to buy it yourself.

Gluck.

Haha I damaged the CV Oil Seal when re-installing the drive shaft. You'll need Torx Plus bits to drain the transmission fluid and also remove the flywheel if converting to a single mass one. You'll need some help heaving about under the car. It's not a job for the light-hearted. I spent less than $800 for an Exedy Heavy Duty Single Mass Fly Wheel Conversion Kit and a set of Torx Plus bits, but it also cost me an entire weekend. The Subaru kit was $1100+ alone. It might be worth getting the Subaru alternative if you want quieter operation. I'm over the noise cause I've got coil-overs and performance tyres haha

By the way, my problem was simply the clutch disc. It fell apart as the rivets holding it together had worn. The cost of parts might end up being less than half if you are able to diagnose the clutch before purchasing parts. I.e. you won't be able to drive for a week or so after dropping the gearbox...
Philips 4000 K Bulbs / Alpine ICS-X7 Mobile Media Station / Pioneer 2-Way Component Speakers and 2-Way Coaxial Speakers / Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch with Single Mass Flywheel / XForce Mufflers / Tein Street Flex Coil-Overs / Subaru 17x8J +53 mm Wheels with 235/40R17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 Tires / Cusco Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Brackets / DBA T2 Brake Rotors / Project Mu NS Brake Pads

http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/
cooki_monsta

Car: MY05 BL9 > MY08 Z33
Profile URL: http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/

Postby Manaz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:42 pm

This is a very common issue with the dual-mass flywheel on the 5MT transmission and EJ25 (NA) engines - not just on the 4Gen, but it went back into the early 3Gen as well (and also some Imprezas of the same era). I don't believe the 2Gen had the issue as they had a single-mass flywheel as I understand it.

I had an MY02 RX Liberty (first of the 3Gens with the reflector-focused headlights with clear plastic lenses), and Subaru (Tom Kerr in West Ryde) replaced the dual-mass flywheel even though the official warranty had run out (by about six months at that stage). It was disappointing to hear that the problem persisted into the 4Gen.

The best solution seems the Subaru SMF conversion. Aftermarket conversion kits tend to be a bit noisier (you get chatter at idle with the clutch engaged).
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Return to 2.5i engine specific