Screeching noise while taking off

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Screeching noise while taking off

Postby Hotchickens » Thu May 08, 2014 5:53 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can help diagnose this problem I'm getting.

When I take off from a hill I get this weird screeching noise. Almost sounds like wheel spin but it definitely isn't - tested it on my gravel driveway just to make sure. The duration of the noise gets longer relative to the angle of the hill and how hard I take off. Maximum 1 - 1.5 seconds. Seems to be a little delay in response while taking off too.

I'm guessing its clutch related but I really have no idea.

Car has done ~140.000kms.

I'm still on my 3 month statutory warranty so I'm taking it back to the dealership (Mazda) as soon as possible but I thought I would post this for a couple of reasons.

1. To be given some kind of clue to what could possibly cause this problem, and
2. Get an answer from the dealership and help anyone else who may get the same problem.
Hotchickens

Car: MY07 2.5i Manual

Re: Screeching noise while taking off

Postby mihai » Thu May 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Its the clutch and the dual mass flywheel.

Common fault. I had mine replaced under factory warranty to a single mass flywheel and clutch setup.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby d-chang » Thu May 08, 2014 8:24 pm

mihai wrote:Its the clutch and the dual mass flywheel.

Common fault. I had mine replaced under factory warranty to a single mass flywheel and clutch setup.

Bingo! :D
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15749

Postby Hotchickens » Thu May 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Cheers mihai, dug up an old thread which gave me a good idea of the costs involved if it doesn't get covered, but I'm praying it will be!
Hotchickens

Car: MY07 2.5i Manual

Postby rocksy85 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:56 pm

It's the spring in the dual mass flywheel I have the same problem don't take it to maximum Motorsport
rocksy85

Car: Gen v GT
Profile URL: rocksy85

Postby cooki_monsta » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:42 pm

Hotchickens wrote:

Cheers mihai, dug up an old thread which gave me a good idea of the costs involved if it doesn't get covered, but I'm praying it will be!

Seems like a clutch component is likely to fail within the near future. My clutch disc fell apart after 135,000 kms. All I needed to replace was the clutch disk but I ended replacing the entire aseembly as I had to drop the entire gearbox anyway. It cost me a weekend and almost $800 for a single mass fly wheel, a heavy duty clutch kit, and Torx Plus bits.

Let's hope they fix it.
Philips 4000 K Bulbs / Alpine ICS-X7 Mobile Media Station / Pioneer 2-Way Component Speakers and 2-Way Coaxial Speakers / Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch with Single Mass Flywheel / XForce Mufflers / Tein Street Flex Coil-Overs / Subaru 17x8J +53 mm Wheels with 235/40R17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 Tires / Cusco Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Brackets / DBA T2 Brake Rotors / Project Mu NS Brake Pads

http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/
cooki_monsta

Car: MY05 BL9 > MY08 Z33
Profile URL: http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/

Postby Manaz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:43 pm

As per this post (and the thread in general):

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26136&p=377748#p377748
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Return to 2.5i engine specific