Clutch friction point suddenly drops? 2001 RX

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Clutch friction point suddenly drops? 2001 RX

Postby redeemed » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Haven't been on here in a while :D

Something happened today that was quite concerning. Ever since buying my MY02 RX a couple of years ago (at 239k kms, now 272k), the clutch friction/engagement point has been REALLY high. I mean, nearly-top-of-the-pedal high then drops straight to the floor, to the point where everyone who drove my car commented on it. I got suggestions of it needing a new master cylinder, someone on the FB group mentioned the pressure plate, etc. It did have a new clutch installed a few thousand kays before I bought it at 239k kms. Thing is, the friction point never gradually dropped over time, as one might expect an aging clutch to do.

Just today I had to make a trip (30 mins each way, equal mix of freeway + 'city' driving). When I reached my destination, I noticed that the clutch pedal was becoming VERY loose up top and the friction point had dropped considerably :? it was at the point where i could rest my foot on the clutch pedal and depress it half way without disengaging the clutch - something that would normally result in totally disengaging the clutch!

I also noticed a slight... shiver? not quite a shudder... coming from what felt like the clutch when the car was under load at low revs (ie accelerating up a hill in 2nd from ~1800 rpms).

Any ideas?? Hope I'm not up for too much $$$ :(

PS: as mentioned, after disengaging the clutch, the pedal used go straight to the floor, with something like 4-5cms of dead space. It's almost as if that suddenly got reversed today, 5cm of free space at the top and friction point nearly on the ground :?
redeemed

Car: Subaru Liberty RX MY02 (Mica Red)

Re: Clutch friction point suddenly drops? 2001 RX

Postby redeemed » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:35 pm

UPDATE: ... oops LOL. Turns out the yellow cap on the left was loose. tightened it up, pumped the brake and clutch a few times with some help, and VOILA everything's good :biggrin: could that have caused the sudden drop?

Again, any ideas? lol i'm guessing that's the clutch fluid reservoir? It is half empty - should I top it up?

And is there any legit way of dropping the friction point back down closer to the floor a bit without mucking around with the master/slave cylinders? Must admit, I did enjoy the drive home. The low friction point made for really easy quick shifts when I was flooring it hard accelerating enthusiastically :wink:

Edit: unless the clutch fixed itself by just sitting out in the cold, and it's only a matter of time before it happens again?
redeemed

Car: Subaru Liberty RX MY02 (Mica Red)

Re: Clutch friction point suddenly drops? 2001 RX

Postby Jack_Keaka » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:53 pm

needs to be bled. will happen when its hot/warm. get a mechanic to fix it asap
Boostaddict wrote:Holy shit.... I want a gen 3 again!!!! :D
Jack_Keaka

Car: Nissan Skyline R33 + R36 Passat
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18091

Return to 2.5i engine specific