2.5i and the VVL system explained

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

2.5i and the VVL system explained

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:24 pm

So I had a few questions lately about how the VVL system(aka AVLS) in the 2.5i works and have devised a brief summary based on the email replies that should cover the blanket response :)

The EJ25 AVLS is not for 'performance' the VVL system is there for fuel economy, with the concept actually stolen from Honda with their VTEC-E Engines... that is VTEC - E with the E for Economy and is one reason why the USA has the 2.5i listed as a PZEV. Here is an article on the VTEC-E engine
http://www.b18c5eg.com/VTEC/sohcvtece.html
which further explains how fuel economy is achieved by only having one inlet valve open below 3000rpm and the factory tune running fully in closed loop with 14.7:1 AFR's for fuel economy and lower emissions. Above 3000rpm, the factory tune actually richens up by 7% to account for the sudden rush of airflow generated by the second cam lobe activating :)

As you can see, only 1 inlet valve opens with the second yellow pin activating the second inlet valve when required :)

Once exhaust mods or intake mods are done, the added engine flow dictates that the AVLS RPM point should be lowered to eliminate the single inlet valve as being a restriction but if you want to keep fuel economy, it can still be achieved with stock AVLS rpm by tweaking the AVLS airflow value so once airflow goes past a predetermined value that is considered a restriction, the AVLS activates, even if engine rpm is not high enough, just need to set the fuel table to add fuel above this value :)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Re: 2.5i and the VVL system explained

Postby turner_822 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Great post! Good for anyone looking to tune/boost/modify their engine.

It would have made things a lot easier for me when I did stage II cams, instead I was groping around in the dark. I ended up removing the mechanism altogether as I had the engine out...felt like playing :lol:
Attachments
file.jpeg
VVL in the 2.5i. See the split rocker arms on the intake valves (top).
file.jpeg (25.45 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
turner_822

Car: Silver MY08 - 2.5 Supercharged

Postby Tradewind » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Probably one of the best posts about this motor and its mechanisms on any forum anywhere around the world at a guess - excellent.

No one has really bothered with it much but with an SC and tuning available - its output is very respectable
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Subscribed!
Team White GenV GT Manual Wagon with fluffy dice

Mods (in order): Blacked out E-tag, drift spec fluffy dice, BC BR coilovers, strobe comfort flasher, de-badged tailgate + new GT badge, Prova Si knob, Tommy Kaira front grill + Gt badge, Cusco Strut brace (front), Prova blue mirrors, SSW Phoenix 20" black Stance SC-7 20" black, Nitto 35 series tyres, HKS filter, DAMD rear wing, Valenti smoked tail lights, LED rear reflectors, Headlights and others by Leo (hks180), Cusco rear sway bar, Full Invidia Q300 TBE, AVO TMIC, Summit Racing rear strut brace, KiDo Tune, front Cusco swaybar, upgraded LCA bushes, Valenti smoked centre tail light
Build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22731
lump_a_charcoal

Car: 2013 Land Rover Defender 110

Return to 2.5i engine specific