Single Flywheel vs Dual Mass

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Re: Single Flywheel vs Dual Mass

Postby cooki_monsta » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:11 pm

So, I did mine too after the clutch died on a Fri night after work. How convenient?!?

Anyways, so I hunted around for an Exedy HD single mass flywheel conversion kit following Labour Day and I managed to have one order the same day for $750.

I sourced a set of Torx Plus bits for about $40 during work hours - I had a Hilux to drive around for two weeks :D

Come Saturday, I started dismantling the car after struggling to get it high enough off the ground - couldn't drive it up a set of ramps cause the car is pretty low - and that took about a whole day :(

Anyways, so that left me Sunday to drop the gearbox and find what failed. It turned out to be the clutch disc - one of the discs fell off as the rivets just tore through :lol:

I'm guessing the previous owner rode the clutch a lot!

The cover assembly and dual mass fly wheel wasn't in such a bad shape but I already had paid for the single mass conversion kit so I whacked it in after struggling to take off the original one.

Aligning the clutch disc and cover plate assembly was easy but gettin the gearbox back in was a bitch cause by the time I got it in, it was dark and I couldn't finish the job within the two days :(

Anyways, the car is up and running after another Saturday. I had the front rotors machined whilst the car was up on bricks and blocks so I reinstalled them and flushed out the slave cylinder. Now the car drives like new. Almost. I have some exhaust vibration I need to identify and erratic idle to fix :?

I'll update you all on progress following some fine tweaks this weekend.

Anyways, I saved a few grand. I might buy myself some coil-overs this Christmas :D
Philips 4000 K Bulbs / Alpine ICS-X7 Mobile Media Station / Pioneer 2-Way Component Speakers and 2-Way Coaxial Speakers / Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch with Single Mass Flywheel / XForce Mufflers / Tein Street Flex Coil-Overs / Subaru 17x8J +53 mm Wheels with 235/40R17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 Tires / Cusco Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Brackets / DBA T2 Brake Rotors / Project Mu NS Brake Pads

http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/
cooki_monsta

Car: MY05 BL9 > MY08 Z33
Profile URL: http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/

Postby blademaster » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:24 am

nice work!
2004 Black 2.5 Supercharged Liberty Sedan
2006 Blue 3.0R-B Liberty Wagon
1998 Silver 2.5 Bilstein Edition Liberty Sedan
1998 Dark Blue 2.5 Liberty Wagon
1994 White 1.3 Suzuki Swift Sedan
1998 Light Blue 2.6 Turbo Diesel Land Rover Discovery Tank
blademaster

Car: 2004 Liberty 2.5S, Black

Postby Jayraddd » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:47 am

Awesome job :) Feels great driving it afterwards. Like new !
-------------------- N/A's can have fun too ! ------------------
Jayraddd

Car: 2006 MY07 2.5i Liberty
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19848&p=280795#p280795

Postby jax0n » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:15 am

cooki_monsta wrote: I have some exhaust vibration I need to identify and erratic idle to fix :?

Hey there cooki_mosta, I'm also having some idle issue's and read on a another forum that the intake manifold gaskets are often the culprit.

Back on topic :) I recently picked up my wagon which had a single mass replaced a few thousand k's ago and I've found I get a really loud "whir" sound when I compress the clutch at higher revs. I can also feel a little vibration in my foot at the same time.

Was told this may be the Thrust bearing. Does that sound right to you guys or is it the extra "noise" that has been mentioned due to going single mass?
C-Shell wrote: Are you sure it didn't just feel faster because you had spent money on it?

www.jackgilchrist.com
jax0n

Car: MY06 2.5i Liberty Wagon 5mt

Postby Jayraddd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Can't say I've experienced this 'whir' noise like you describe. Is it faint or pretty noticeable ?
-------------------- N/A's can have fun too ! ------------------
Jayraddd

Car: 2006 MY07 2.5i Liberty
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19848&p=280795#p280795

Postby Jack_Keaka » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:36 pm

jax0n wrote:Hey there cooki_mosta, I'm also having some idle issue's and read on a another forum that the intake manifold gaskets are often the culprit.
Back on topic :) I recently picked up my wagon which had a single mass replaced a few thousand k's ago and I've found I get a really loud "whir" sound when I compress the clutch at higher revs. I can also feel a little vibration in my foot at the same time.

Was told this may be the Thrust bearing. Does that sound right to you guys or is it the extra "noise" that has been mentioned due to going single mass?

yeah i got this in the early stages of my thrust bearing going. mine is really bad now and is almost louder than my exhaust. but they last forever and take a logo of abuse.
Boostaddict wrote:Holy shit.... I want a gen 3 again!!!! :D
Jack_Keaka

Car: Nissan Skyline R33 + R36 Passat
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18091

Postby cooki_monsta » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Jack_Keaka wrote:
jax0n wrote:Hey there cooki_mosta, I'm also having some idle issue's and read on a another forum that the intake manifold gaskets are often the culprit.

yeah i got this in the early stages of my thrust bearing going. mine is really bad now and is almost louder than my exhaust. but they last forever and take a logo of abuse.

I'm getting similar noise when I kick or release the clutch pedal at higher engine speeds. It's strange considering I installed the supplied bearing with the supplied grease. I think it's a tad dry that's all. I'm guessing it's making noise as it rubs against the pressure plate spring but if yours is really loud... then maybe it wasn't replaced?

As for the erratic idle, I haven't actually touched my intake manifold. I think it's actually my PCV clogged with crap after using the Subaru endorsed intake cleaning agent. I might have to soak it in a carburetor cleaner and get some threebond thread gasket.

I hate these little annoying things! !@#$!
Philips 4000 K Bulbs / Alpine ICS-X7 Mobile Media Station / Pioneer 2-Way Component Speakers and 2-Way Coaxial Speakers / Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch with Single Mass Flywheel / XForce Mufflers / Tein Street Flex Coil-Overs / Subaru 17x8J +53 mm Wheels with 235/40R17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 Tires / Cusco Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Brackets / DBA T2 Brake Rotors / Project Mu NS Brake Pads

http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/
cooki_monsta

Car: MY05 BL9 > MY08 Z33
Profile URL: http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/

Previous

Return to 2.5i engine specific