gen 4 won't idle when cold - please help!!

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

gen 4 won't idle when cold - please help!!

Postby DownUnder » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Hey guys I've been stalking this forum for the few weeks since I bought a liberty but now I've been thown in head first with this issue. I've posted this info on another forum but I've come to the people with the most knowledge in hope of solving iy.

I have a 2004 MY04 subaru liberty 2.5i manual wagon. The battery was suffering from a bit of voltage drop on start so I followed a recommendation to recharge it. I pulled it out to recharge and put it in yesterday arvo. Then this morning the car started fine but while it was cold whenever I let off the accelerator the revs come rights down and it stalls. At first I thought that the battery must be stuffed so I bought a new one but that didn't fix the problem so I'm considering returning it. The issue only seems to happen while the engine's warming up once it was fully warm it stops. Outside temp was about 25*C. I definitely had the clutch in. It wasn't a normal stall.

there was a link with the battery disconnection... I also replaced the altenator and AC belt at the same time.... but pre that I had no problems so I'm leaning toward something electrical. Maybe the drive by wire system? It's almost like the throttle snaps closed when I let off the accelorator

No codes whatsoever. It's almost like the idle speed is set too low.... but seeing as it's drive by wire I don't see how that's possible.... it could be fuel related seeing as I did fill it up just before the battery removal but I still don't see how bad fuel would create such a problem. it definitely isn't fun in heavy traffic where if I let it off I'm gonna stall. Considering taking it to the subaru dealer down the road to see if there's anything extra they can do with their SSM reader. (My reader does ssm but it's in BETA)

Arrrrrg it's just so so frustrating!!!

P.s. sorry for the bad grammar I'm on my phone.
TOM

2004 MY04 2.5i Liberty Wagon (5MT)
DownUnder

Car: 2004 MY04 Liberty 2.5i Wagon Manual
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24070

Re: gen 4 won't idle when cold - please help!!

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:05 am

Find a local member w/ tactrix and log the car during idle and normal driving.
Get a multimeter and check your battery voltage too.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Mr Bagus » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Every time I had to disconnect the battery (O2 sensor probs), my car did the same thing- low idle and stalled a few times. After driving a bit, problem stopped and car ran normally. I suspect the ECU is resetting when the battery is disconnected and needs to "re-learn" how it should run......
X 99 Heritage wagon - Silver Surfer 1
X 04 2.5i wagon - Silver Surfer 2
08 3.0R Outback - The Dark Knight
Mr Bagus

Car: MY09 Outback 3.0R Kido tuned

Postby zch91 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Have you driven it much since battery replacement? The ECU does take a little while to re-learn a few things which can cause odd things like this to happen
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby DownUnder » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:07 am

As far as I'm aware it's an idle air control valve thing. It takes the ecu ages to learn its way around this. Esp as not that much time is spent at idle. Lazy fix is to let it idle for 10-20 every day for a week after disconnecting battery. I'll be in there cleaning out the valve soon
TOM

2004 MY04 2.5i Liberty Wagon (5MT)
DownUnder

Car: 2004 MY04 Liberty 2.5i Wagon Manual
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24070

Postby cooki_monsta » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:12 am

Have you checked your ignition system? Leads etc? Consider your temperature sensors too - air, coolant etc.
Philips 4000 K Bulbs / Alpine ICS-X7 Mobile Media Station / Pioneer 2-Way Component Speakers and 2-Way Coaxial Speakers / Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch with Single Mass Flywheel / XForce Mufflers / Tein Street Flex Coil-Overs / Subaru 17x8J +53 mm Wheels with 235/40R17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 Tires / Cusco Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Brackets / DBA T2 Brake Rotors / Project Mu NS Brake Pads

http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/
cooki_monsta

Car: MY05 BL9 > MY08 Z33
Profile URL: http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/

Return to 2.5i engine specific