MY08 Subaru Liberty SUPERCHARGER BUILD (2.5i 5MT ADM)

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Re: MY08 Subaru Liberty SUPERCHARGER BUILD (2.5i 5MT ADM)

Postby turner_822 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Thought I would quickly post how the build went and how the tuning is going. As Tim said, the kit was pieced together (brilliantly) and so the only trouble I had was going between instructions. Hats off to Raptor for a great kit, it really is very easy to build especially with technical support only a phone call away.

Note that WRX injectors and mass air pressure sensor have already been installed.

The first thing I had to do was move some pieces around and get a mount sorted for the mass air flow sensor. I ended up having to remove the injector shield and run the power steering line through part of the injector shield and out underneath. I also had to trim the stopper back on the aluminium part of the hose so I could rotate it. This was so 1: the mounting plate could fit and 2: the supporting brace could fit. This was easy in hindsight...

From here I mounted the plate, the support bracket, the air filter assembly, the intercooler/radiator/overflow/hosing/pump and simply ran a little air filter where the BOV pipe now sits so I could drive around in the meantime. I was originally going to use the silicone joins Raptor provided to add the piece of pipe containing my mass air flow to the BOV pipe. This would have been fine but my mechanic made a new MAF mount and welded it onto the BOV pipe for a much nicer look (rather than a silicone join). The mechanic also moved my clutch reservoir because I didn't have the time. I then connected the engine breathers, filled the intercooler, attached the air blower (cooling for charger), hooked the BOV to vacuum line and ran the exhaust hose down to its mounting point next to the air intake. From there I added the flexi piping from Raptor for between the air filter and charger and was left ready to fit the belt :D As I said, a very straight forward build especially with instructions and technical support. Only some tinkering to make things fit but there is plenty of room. I bought this car as my first car 6 months ago and new very little about cars (having always been into motorbikes) so basically, if I can do it: a great ape can (with a little help from Tim lol)

So I fitted the belt, took a deep breath and with the pre-supercharger ROM Edward gave me installed: I turned her over and heard that sweet sweet whistle for the first time. I went for a little drive and then adjusted a few things that had the potential to rub, vibrate and jiggle (excuse the wording...)

Since then I have been under Edward's instruction getting the tuning sorted...except I keep getting called into work and I am in the middle of moving houses so life is busy at the moment. That and someone I know seems to be getting married every other weekend...wife will kill me if I duck weddings for tuning ;)

So how does if feel? Well I'm struggling to describe it using non-colourful language. It is incredible, the increase in torque is e-NNNormous and its like the supercharger says to the power curve "we're going this way!!" at about 3500rpm. The power just increases and increases until your an 8 year old in a toy shop again. The whine that it makes as it punches into the higher RPM is enough to get anyone excited! It just sounds freaking awesome, especially with the feeling tied to it. BOV isn't stupidly loud but makes a nice "pssh" in the higher rpm. In terms of excitement: its trippled! It now has the power to poke its tail out and really get up to mischief when the mood takes me :D

All in all I couldn't be happier with the kit from Raptor and the tuning by Edward (Xtreme Racing Tuning). I will post plenty more pics to explain my rambling and stand by for tuning results!
turner_822

Car: Silver MY08 - 2.5 Supercharged

Postby turner_822 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:49 pm

HyRax wrote:Very nice and not overly blingy-looking either.

How does it feel out-of-the-box so far without the extra tuning? And has the exhaust note changed now that there is more air in there?

Also, how long was the labour to install it in the end?

I love the fact it looks serious and not blingy. Black never gets old :) Edward gave me a pre-SC rom to run. First start I was barely driving it just to be safe until logs got reviewed. It was running really REALLY rich to start with but Edward leaned it out and has it running much better. I would say the exhaust note is roughly the same but the fact that the revs are climbing so much faster and a BEAUTIFUL supercharger whine make for an altogether different sound. Honestly that noise is worth at least a couple thousand of the total cost :wink: Labour was minimal, ($300) all the mechanic did was weld the MAF to the BOV pipe (which I didn't have to do because Raptor provided a silicone join) and move the clutch reservoir because I didn't have time to look at it. The build can be done by yourself, mechanic might be needed if you don't have access to some tools but so long as you have the patience to sit and go back and forth until things fit.
Last edited by turner_822 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turner_822

Postby west_minist » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Still some work to be done, but this is for everyone.

Last edited by west_minist on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Awsm Q-ship :good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby blademaster » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:09 am

west_minist wrote:Still some work to be done, but this is for everyone.

153kW? Is that wheel or motor?

Nice write up btw Nick =)
2004 Black 2.5 Supercharged Liberty Sedan
2006 Blue 3.0R-B Liberty Wagon
1998 Silver 2.5 Bilstein Edition Liberty Sedan
1998 Dark Blue 2.5 Liberty Wagon
1994 White 1.3 Suzuki Swift Sedan
1998 Light Blue 2.6 Turbo Diesel Land Rover Discovery Tank
blademaster

Car: 2004 Liberty 2.5S, Black

Postby west_minist » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:23 am

All data I post is at wheel with correction factor at 1 and SAE. Accuracy is the same as virtual dyno and airboy spreadsheet.

I guess one can drive his or her car up to 3800 rpm now. The feeling must be interesting. Hmmm.
Last edited by west_minist on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
west_minist

Postby Tradewind » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:11 am

Nick

What brand was the CAI you had fitted?

For anyone watch, you need a CAI pipe with AFM mount - its the only bit I dont supply. I could have someone manufacture it if needed.

So far as your SC build goes, what more can I say about the results!! :mrgreen: Perfect

For those looking on (and wondering if more is available), there is a massive upgrade path if you have a larger budget. What you are seeing here with Nicks car is the Stage 1 effort, max power and reliability for the least cost.

There is possibly up to 175kwatw available via the following, 2-3psi more boost, Deatschworks fuel pump, 2nd intercooler radiator, exhaust headers and a remap by the tuner. The only negatives with going to this add ons would be that you would definitely need a new clutch (manual cars)
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby Tradewind » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Hope you were able to fit in some drive time across your busy weekend :)
Tradewind

Postby west_minist » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Blastmaster,

Yes he will need a complete exhaust system. I am not sure if it is the head limiting, but the header R&D would be a great step. The car max .efficient is at around 5200rpm, after that just drops off.

So just setting the rev limit around 6500 or slightly less and running the SC to make 10psi by 6000rpm would be great, but flow issues may step in on this current setup. But so far, I would love to just drive the car to feel what he feels. I never experienced a SC car. So a custom to the turbo, maybe the SC is a slow dream to perfection :)

Nick, record some vids and let us her the car inside and outside. Talk to me how you can perform top quality vids, especially drive by.
west_minist

Postby turner_822 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Tradewind wrote:There is possibly up to 175kwatw available via the following, 2-3psi more boost, Deatschworks fuel pump, 2nd intercooler radiator, exhaust headers and a remap by the tuner. The only negatives with going to this add ons would be that you would definitely need a new clutch (manual cars)

So, I have decided to bite the bullet and go stage two...with all of the above (plus 2nd intercooler radiator) :D For all those reading on, this build is much much easier then I thought it would be.

The system actually cleared the clutch reservoir on my vehicle with intercooler slightly angled...however you can't really see it/access it without taking a pipe off which is annoying and would likely rub. I didn't use the MAF mount from my other intake, it was a thicker guage. My mechanic whipped one together and welded it to the BOV pipe for a nicer finish. Cost of both of these by mechanic was $300.

All in all the car feels totally different. The biggest thing is peak torque being along with peak power, it makes for quite a feeling! Especially powering out of the bends!! I can't just plant my foot anymore...well I can with spectacular and terrifying results but it definitely needs a caution sticker for >4000rpm lol. My absolute favouite part of the car is now at 5750rpm...graphs show +50kW and +70Nm at that point comparred to the stock car and what can I say, it makes me happy! I was really worried I had blown a heap of money when I first paid for the system and made myself sleep at night by saying "not spending another cent on the thing!!". I couldn't have been more wrong and I'm so in love with that SC whine that I'm going stage two :mrgreen:

Edward: I tried to make a video but it turns out my sticky-tape camera-mount was insufficient lol. Will be posting a heap of pics/vids this weekend...maybe sooner if I get a chance.
turner_822

Postby HyRax » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:23 am

Loving the updates so far. And it's really making me tempted to do this myself...
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby Tradewind » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 am

If your car has a DENSO ECU you can do ANYTHING you want

A charger kit for this model Liberty without intercooler is actually very low price and still gives good power - Roughly $3200 for a non cooled kit + tuning costs (either XRT or KiDo)
Tradewind

Postby HyRax » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 am

Yep - my 2.5i is already XRT tuned, hence the itch to give supercharging a go. 8)

Never realised the Denso ECU was so flexible.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:57 am

Wha..?!? :shock: (dreams of twin charged GT-B 2.5T/SC...)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby libz05 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:35 am

wow great results!!!
is this the 1st 2.5 S/c'd on the forum ?
libz05

Car: 2005 my06 3.0R-B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15492

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5i engine specific