Tuning the 2.5i by Xtreme Racing Tuning (Tuner: West_Minist)

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Re: Tuning the 2.5i by Xtreme Racing Tuning (Tuner: West_Min

Postby HyRax » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 pm

modern_messiah wrote:Do we drive the car, upload a few files for you and then you come back with a new ROM to try?

You get a laptop, plug in a Tactrix device into your car's ODB-II port, plug the USB end into your laptop, fire up some ODB-II software called RomRaider, set some parameters to record, hit the record button, go driving, stop recording, get the CSV file that was generated and email it to Edward. Edward analyses the data, plays it back through his tuning software to "watch" the log in action, he then modifies various tables of data in the ROM, saves out a new binary and emails it to you. You then use your laptop again to upload the new ROM to the car, and then you go out again to log some new data to get some new results, and then send those results back to Edward for further analysis.

Lather, rinse, repeat several times until both sides are happy with the outcome.
Last edited by HyRax on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby turner_822 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:38 pm

HyRax wrote:Lather, rinse, repeat several times until both sides are happy with the outcome.

and both sides WILL be happy with the outcome...well I sure was anyway :D
turner_822

Car: Silver MY08 - 2.5 Supercharged

Postby modern_messiah » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:48 pm

west_minist wrote:Yes. You will log, I will make changes. You will upload and the procress will start all over again.

Cool! Well you may be hearing from me in the future then :)
MY09 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Manual :: Diamond Grey :: Black leather Interior :: Spec B 18" Wheels :: And Apparently a Metallic Black Mesh Grill though I can't find it...
modern_messiah

Car: 2009 2.5i Manual

Postby west_minist » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Thats ok. SC soon start on the 2.5i. So I look forward to another 2.5i and its curve and its owners appreciation :)
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby modern_messiah » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:07 pm

For some reason I didn't see HyRax's post....thanks for the clarification! How far do you go before it's considered 'done'? These sorts of things could be tweaked endlessly! Though I guess enough have been done to get a good general tune for the 2.5i by now.

Might be the wrong place to ask but what sort of cost are we looking at for the service (excluding parts needed by me)?

It's not massively important at this stage - I have a shoulder op and a trip to Thailand to pay for before the Liberty get's any work done :(

- Matt
MY09 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Manual :: Diamond Grey :: Black leather Interior :: Spec B 18" Wheels :: And Apparently a Metallic Black Mesh Grill though I can't find it...
modern_messiah

Postby west_minist » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:20 pm

Mostly is when the tuner is happy. Once he send his cues, then you determine if you are also at that point.

You will see the many versions "v1, v2, v3.....vn because I work with the customer to improve every little nuke and cranny to get all out of the car. Its like a racing car.

Nick loves to drive and because of his motor bike history, I can work with him more when I have the time. His tuning can be considered finished since v7, but because of the aim to improve hill climbing and mountains and have the car behave well when loaded with people and equipment, the tuning has gone on longer to see if power holes can be filled. It took a lot of work but I think we have max the tuning out and now the SC to be installed on top of this tuned. So we cannot wait to see the car perform, once it holds together. It is a high mileage car.

Email me for pricing. west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com
west_minist

Postby HyRax » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:08 am

modern_messiah wrote:For some reason I didn't see HyRax's post....thanks for the clarification! How far do you go before it's considered 'done'?

Took about two weeks driving every night for me (go back a few pages and read my posts about my experience during the tune). I was Edward's first 2.5i. We got to a point where we were happy with power and then Edward concentrated on making sure the tune was safe (eliminating any detonation occurring).

modern_messiah wrote:These sorts of things could be tweaked endlessly! Though I guess enough have been done to get a good general tune for the 2.5i by now.

Well, when you add other mods into the mix, yes it can! As far as I'm aware, there have only been two 2.5i's done now. Mine and turner_822's. Others have wanted to get a tune after reading about my experience but discovered that their non-Denso ECU's prevented them from doing so (because the software used to download and upload ROMs does not yet support the older ECU, but at least you can monitor the car and take a log if you wanted).
HyRax

Postby modern_messiah » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:30 am

HyRax wrote:Others have wanted to get a tune after reading about my experience but discovered that their non-Denso ECU's prevented them from doing so (because the software used to download and upload ROMs does not yet support the older ECU, but at least you can monitor the car and take a log if you wanted).

My car was built in march '09, so it should be right....I hope. I'll have to do some research and try and learn about everything I need to do. Plenty of spare time coming up!
modern_messiah

Postby HyRax » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:09 am

modern_messiah wrote:My car was built in march '09, so it should be right....I hope. I'll have to do some research and try and learn about everything I need to do. Plenty of spare time coming up!

It will be. Anything from late 2007 onwards should definitely work.

You need:
  • A half-decent laptop that can operate without undue interruptions from anti-virus software or the like. Any current low-end laptop made in the last 5-6 years will be fine. I'd probably avoid using netbook type laptops as they're not really geared towards number-crunching, however.
  • A free USB 2.0 port.
  • Windows XP or Windows 7 for ECUFlash software. This does the reading/writing of ROM files from/to your car.
  • Windows or Linux for RomRaider software. This does the logging of data from the car.
  • Oracle Java 6 (I think 7 works as well). This is required for RomRaider to run.
  • TeamViewer software, so Edward can remote control your laptop to set up the initial logging parameters.
  • A Tactrix ODB-II adapter device (comes with a long USB cable to reach your passenger seat).
  • A long, straight and FLAT road with no dips or hills that you can start and stop in the same location each time, that you will use exclusively for logging. You will be reaching speeds of upwards to 140kph in third gear and subsequently slowing back down, so you need to find a quiet back road with plenty of space to do this that will not attract attention from the boys in blue or put pedestrians or other drivers at risk.
  • Remember to factor in the extra cost of fuel you will burn. Expect to increase your usage during the tuning period by a factor of two or three.
HyRax

Postby modern_messiah » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:50 am

Sweet :) I'm good for everything except ECUFlash, RomRaider and the Tactrix device. Shouldn't be hard to get my hands on any of that either. The hard part is going to be waiting - no cash at the moment due to upcoming surgery and I can't drive for 4 weeks after that either! Poo.
modern_messiah

Postby turner_822 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:17 pm

modern_messiah wrote:Sweet :) I'm good for everything except ECUFlash, RomRaider and the Tactrix device. Shouldn't be hard to get my hands on any of that either. The hard part is going to be waiting - no cash at the moment due to upcoming surgery and I can't drive for 4 weeks after that either! Poo.

When you are ready you can order the cable online http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=17&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
Romraider can be downloaded here (along with all older versions and logger definitions) but just double check with west_minist as to which version http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/Download
Along with ECUFlash http://www.tactrix.com/downloads/ecuflash_1422595_win.exe
turner_822

Postby west_minist » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:36 pm

All of which is provided by my documentation :)
west_minist

Postby toslo4u » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:48 pm

is there much power gain on the tune is it worth doing for an n/a liberty
toslo4u

Car: subaru liberty wagon myo4

Postby HyRax » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:05 pm

toslo4u wrote:is there much power gain on the tune is it worth doing for an n/a liberty

Read my posts from Page 1.
HyRax

Postby turner_822 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:38 pm

toslo4u wrote:is there much power gain on the tune is it worth doing for an n/a liberty

10% power and torque increase plus increased responsiveness from the engine. Also a higher rev limit will change your gear shift points and keep the revs higher as you go through the gears. In my opinion: worth it
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (196.6 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
turner_822

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5i engine specific