2.5 NA Hard Start (Cold)

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Re: 2.5 NA Hard Start (Cold)

Postby Blaeven » Mon May 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Bump...
I just bought an MY03 (Gen3) Rx Wagon and this is exactly what my car does too... Hard start on first crank but if you crank it once, then let go of the key and try again, it starts like normal.

Anyone come up with any solution/suggestion?

I've been running it on 98RON so maybe I'll try 91 and see if it makes any difference. I just did some upper engine cleaner and Subaru fuel additive, with no effect... I'm also about to swap plugs and leads, I'll let you all know if it changes anything.

Cheers
Blaeven

Postby craig_ » Tue May 24, 2016 2:59 pm

Blaeven wrote:Anyone come up with any solution/suggestion?

I've been running it on 98RON so maybe I'll try 91 and see if it makes any difference. I just did some upper engine cleaner and Subaru fuel additive, with no effect... I'm also about to swap plugs and leads, I'll let you all know if it changes anything.

Hey mate,

I run BP 95 in mine. It does the same thing. Ive owned my Gen3 (MY03) since 2005 and its done it since the first day. Using 98 will make it harder to start.
Also, the manual calls for 94RON. Dont use 91..

I recently upgraded my battery to a 85D23L. Much higher output than the NS40ZLS (iirc). It makes the starter buzz over a lot faster and does shorten the time taken to start. The way I see it, it gives the oil pump a chance to move some oil up the engine before it kicks into life.
craig_

Car: MY03 RX & MY10 XT

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue May 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Starting has to do with spark, and fuelling.

You can usually differentiate between which is causing the issue. Could be lack of fuel pressure, or lack of Voltage.

If priming the pump, before cranking, makes the car easier to start - it's most likely fuel related. Dirty injectors, old pump, or system not holding pressure would be my first points to check.

98 is better for your car as it's a higher octane, so your engine is less likely to knock. It does not differ from 95 significantly enough to mess up start up. You can try 95, but it's unlikely to have any effect on cranking/start. Don't drop to 91, unless you don't particularly care about your engine.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Previous

Return to 2.5i engine specific