2.5 NA Hard Start (Cold)

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

2.5 NA Hard Start (Cold)

Postby Turtlez » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi Guys,

I noticed a few posts and have notice that this is roughly the same issue I have been having with my Gen III, When left overnight, when its started cold, the car does not want to fire. I will record a video of how my car sounds when I start it. but to sum up in words what happens the pistons will crank, and just crank. This happens for anywhere from 4 seconds to a minute yes one day it took a minute. Touching the accelerator ignited a piston, then another, but once I let the accelerator go, the car just started cranking again, a second touch of the pedal and half the engine ignited, then just went back to cranking. I stopped and then turned the key again and it started fine.

My Issue only happens on the first turn, IE the first time its turned on, if I stop and then go a second time it starts in 2 cranks which is baffling Mick form techworkz, so here is a list of steps that have helped and have not helped. These are also in the order of cheapest to dearest items to change. This hard staring issue wont really hurt the engine but will dramatically ware your starter motor.

1: Dec 2009 - Dropped the car into Subaru who looked at the codes on the car and found a Dirty/faulty Crank Angle Position Sensor. Now this breaks my rule for cheapest first, as at the time I was going to Subaru and not Techworkz. Subaru changed the Crank Angle Position Sensor cost was $350 + $100 for labour (Some bullshit about taking half the engine off to get to it) don't fall for this the sensor was removed by Mick in 4 minutes while talking on his mobile phone. Sensor fixed the problem for about 6 months, then the problem started to come back more and more.

2: Aug 2010 - Car went in for a service, and a new battery. This was because the battery was at least 3 years old, and being the cheaper option $130, was a good start, the problem disappeared for 2 months but then it came back again, slowly. So off to Mick for another check, Mick took a look at the Spark Plugs and noticed they had a large gap, as well as a worn center electrode was also worn (rounded on the edge instead of flat(square)).

3: Mar 2011 - Car was Serviced and Spark Plugs changed - warm up test (Mick had the car overnight, hooked up an ECU reader and started the car no error messages as the car started perfectly in the morning, perfect engine temp's and perfect engine warm up process. I went to go pick the car up in the afternoon after being lowered from the hoist, Mick started the car only to return back to its issue of cranking long before it started.

4: Apr 2011 - Car is back again at Techworkz for a new Fuel pump, Mick Quoted $180 plus labour (Mick Let me go free till the issue is solved then he will hit me up for the money (and most likely interest)) for the new fuel pump. Had the new fuel pump fitted, but there was no fix, car was still the way it was cranking long before firing (albeit a little quicker then before by about 2 seconds) now it cranks for 4-6 seconds before firing. Mick changed the partially used battery for a brand newy and still no fix. So next is testing then possibly injectors.

5: Apr/May 2011 - After Easter I will leave my car overnight at Techworkz to get a fuel presure test (has to be run when the car is Cold), this will give and idea on whether there is not enough fuel pressure when cold. Will update when the test has been run and the outcome.

6: Future - After the test, it might be new injectors time, I will update when i find out what the go is with my car.

Matty
Turtlez
-stickered-

Car: 08 Legacy Wagon

Re: 2.5 NA Hard Start (Cold)

Postby Turtlez » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi Rick,

Any chance this could be sticky'ed, as I see a few people talking about this issue ??
Turtlez
-stickered-

Postby Nottage969 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 pm

I'd recommend this be stickied also, especially once you find the problem in the end... I hope all goes well mate, as i am having a similar problem at the moment but not quiiiite to the same extent yet, *touch wood*.

Cheers for the info! 8)
MY03 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5L Special Edition 5spd Manual - Silver

Single-tip Junbl Muffler
18x7 Spec B Alloy Wheels
Pioneer Headdeck and 6.5" Splits
Nottage969

Car: Silver MY03 RX Special Ed.

Postby Protaeus » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:06 am

Matty, Have you tried turning the key and letting the engine kick over once, stopping and then cranking again? I find that after doing that it usually starts straight away.

As mentioned in my previous thread, I am having similar start issues, but the worst part is the bogging down in the mornings when taking off from a standing start. Its happy to take off slowly and giving it extra throttle doesn't do anything. There is no misfiring or anything and no CEL, just very very slow takeoff. This issue dissappears once the engine is warm.

So things I have changed so far with little effect are:

1. Spark plugs and leads
2. fuel pressure regulator
3. fuel filter

I was thinking it might have been the fuel pump, but seeing that Matty hasn't had much luck with that I might hold off.

I am going to be replacing the cam angle sensor shortly as well to see if that helps it at all. I know Matty tried that, but I started getting an error code for it anyway so I might as well.

Hopefully we can resolve this one soon.

Sam
Protaeus

Car: Liberty RX2.5 MY01

Postby Nottage969 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:37 pm

I've found only a couple of cold mornings where my car has bogged down like that after start-up as well! Not a ridiculous amount, but noticeable! However i'm still in my driveway and don't have to pull out into traffic or anything while that happens so it's not too big of a deal. However as with your problem, as soon as the car is warm, it's fine.

I'm going to try that initial turning over the key and starting from there tomorrow morning! Didn't even really consider it. My problem has been very temperamental. When i first got the car it was doing it every morning without fail, but just recently it has been starting fine and not missing a beat. I can't work it out! :angry2:

Single-tip Junbl Muffler
18x7 Spec B Alloy Wheels
Nottage969

Postby Turtlez » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:00 pm

@Pro - Mate that does help, starts the second time everytime and within a few cranks. I noticed that I can turn the key for a few seconds, then let it go and it starts, but if I keep the key turned it takes longer to start very weird. Also if the Crank Sensor fixes your Issue let me know, might change the fuel regulator, might be the missing piece to my issue. And in turn might mean a new fuel pump for you to eradicate the problem. Lets hope.
Turtlez
-stickered-

Postby Robbks » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:47 pm

I assume you guys are using 95 or 98 RON fuel?
these 2.5's were always harder to start on higher RON fuels, no idea why

do you let the fuel pump prime fully before turning the key?
i.e turn key to ON, wait until the FP relay clicks off, then start?
does holding the throttle wide open make it easier or harder to start? or no difference?
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Turtlez » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:40 am

Robbks wrote:I assume you guys are using 95 or 98 RON fuel?
these 2.5's were always harder to start on higher RON fuels, no idea why

do you let the fuel pump prime fully before turning the key?
i.e turn key to ON, wait until the FP relay clicks off, then start?
does holding the throttle wide open make it easier or harder to start? or no difference?

Q. I assume you guys are using 95 or 98 RON fuel?
A. I run 98 in the car, problem has been present on 91- but minor, and on 95 - its been the worse, and car starts nicer on 98 but still not happy.

Q. do you let the fuel pump prime fully before turning the key?
A. I normal just turn the car to ignition, which I guess means the fuel pump needs to prime before staring. Although the other day i jumped into the car and turned on the accessories and heard I believe a noise coming from the fuel pump then it clicked off. So then i turned the key to the ignition and still caused the issue, was about one or two cranks quicker but still about 5 seconds before starting.

Q. does holding the throttle wide open make it easier or harder to start? or no difference?
Negative, in my case the throttle helps the pistons fire, but once I take my foot a couple of times the piston actually drop off and it just cranks pistons don't re-fire as they should in the proper sequence. turning the key till I hear a piston fire and then letting go, seems to make the car start easier.

its not a big issue, just don't like sitting in a parking lot with my car cranking for a minute.
Turtlez
-stickered-

Postby Robbks » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:44 am

turning the key to ACC will not prime the fuel pump.
that would have been the power antenna relay.

turn the keys to ON, wait until you hear the click from under the dash, then crank
it may help or it may make things worse.

try starting it with your foot flat to the floor on the throttle (don't pump it) until it actually fires properly
see if that makes it easier or harder to start
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Protaeus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Yeah, I hold the key on until I hear the whine from the fuel pump stop.

It does seem to be taking longer than it was before though. This seems to help it start a bit better in general, but it doesn't help much with the hesitation after that.

And I am using 98 octane BP Ultimate almost exclusively.

Just got the cam angle sensor in the mail so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Sam
Protaeus

Car: Liberty RX2.5 MY01

Postby Nottage969 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 am

I use Shell 98 Octane and it starts a lot better than if i use 95 or 91... Also always let my fuel pump finish whining before i try to start it. My problem has been fine lately *touch wood*, it seems soo temperamental! Definitely keeping my eye closely on this thread though for when it starts happening again!

Cheers for the information guys! :D

Single-tip Junbl Muffler
18x7 Spec B Alloy Wheels
Nottage969

Postby klunkeh » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 am

Don't mean to dig up an old thread but did you ever fix the problem for good?
klunkeh

Car: Subaru Liberty MY04 2004 2.5i Safety

Postby redeemed » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 am

Yep, also keen to find out if anything came of these proposed solutions. My MY02 RX takes a while to crank when cold. As has been mentioned here, letting it crank a couple of times then stopping and trying again seems to work.

The spark plugs and leads are 7 months old, and work just fine. A couple of weeks ago I changed the battery from a 4-year-old cheapo NRMA 370CCA job to a 610CCA Century battery, complete with brand new brass terminals. That marginally improved cranking time.

Then my fuel pump died just last Monday, and left me stranded :( a replacement cost me $180 + labour. Cranking time was considerably improved, especially for warm starts. However, my car is back to its old ways now. Not sure if that stems from the fact that I've only put 98 RON since getting the new pump. Maybe I should try 95 in the next tank.

A few of my mates and colleagues are handy (-er than me :P) with cars in general. Among others, I got suggestions to change the starter motor and dismantle and thoroughly clean the throttle body. I plugged in the 'green plugs' under the dash (diagnostic stuff I think?) and got 12 flashes from the CEL, which apparently means a starter motor signal failure. Maybe that's something I should look at next. Anyone know what parts + labour for a new starter motor cost?

Not sure where to go from here.
redeemed

Car: Subaru Liberty RX MY02 (Mica Red)

Postby MY03_2.5_RX_Blue » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:27 pm

I just bought this MY03 RX and I have the same issue which is how I ended up at this site.

This is my 6th Subaru and have never seen this issue before in any of my others before, unfortunatly fault only presented 2 days after the purchase so will be interested in the outcomes.

So far I have owned

MY01 GX Liberety
MY05 XT Forester
MY07 Tribecra
MY10 Impreza
MY01 Impreza

I have found it don't matter weather cold or hot but the current fix is hit the starter for a split second stop then go again and it starts as it should every time. Waiting for fuel pump etc doesnt make any difference nor does the fuel so far.
MY03_2.5_RX_Blue

Car: MY03 RX

Postby joeyE » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:03 pm

I have an 01 RX lib that i have worked extensively on. replaced the head gaskets and complete top end overhaul about three years ago, the car developed this problem very shortly after this. I have had the engine out of it since and various other work, and still no improvement, new plugs, leads, filter etc to no avail. pretty sure it is a spark problem rather than fuel. I've had similar problems to this in aeroplane engines where the impulse coupling does not properly retard the spark causing sluggish start performance, only thing I can think of in that respect is replacing the coils, or perhaps crank angle sensor? this is the best I can offer. I get by by just cranking it once before a cold start. maybe I could try see if roll starting is any different. any other insights?
joeyE

Car: MY01 RX liberty sedan midnight blue

Next

Return to 2.5i engine specific